Can you get more hp/torque out of a chip or a reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you get more hp/torque out of a chip or a reflash?

I've had my computer reflashed but question whether or not a chip would add more hp/torque? I thought I would see greater gains than I am. My mods are listed in my signature. The best I've run at 2200 elevation and 84 degree temps was 13.38 @ 102.442 (best is 102.619mph). I have removed the spare and hitch but need to remove the hard tonneau next time, maybe it will save me another tenth. The 60' best is 1.94. I run Hoosiers and have only had them out twice to the track so far. I'll mess with the slick psi a little more next time and see if it helps. So.....will a chip show more gain than the reflash? I was hoping to be in the 12's with this set up.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi cardealr,

Well, there are many additonal factors in the Lightnings, which is what I'm assuming you have there.

For example, remember that you lose a minimum of 3% of your power for each 1000 ft. above seal level, for openers - so you're down a minimum of 6.6% @ 2200 ft. We also don't know the humidity when you ran that time, and that alone can make an unbelievablly *HUGE* difference in power in these trucks with their weak COP igniton systems - plug gap is critical too.

We'll have to talk about thie via phone to make sense from your data, as there are other things we need to know as well. I'm out of town until Thursday-Friday, so if you'd like to give me a call say, on Friday, I'll be happy to spend some time with you going over all of this & getting your performance up to par.

Yes, you should be in the high 12's with your mods with thne slicks on - in fact, 12.90's can be had at sea level with nothing more than a good tune, intake kit & slicks in most L's.

It really doesn't matter if you are using a chip or a flash'd PCM, either way it's the *tune* that matters, not the medium - so don't rush out to buy a chip just yet, let's talk first, ok?

Give us a call & we'll get to the bottom of this for you!

Old 10-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the info! I will give you a call, you really seem to know the Lightnings. The reflash is a good tune I think, I'm wondering if it could be a little more aggressive. The place that did the reflash is willing to redo it for no charge. I've made sure to let them know that it dyno'd out very well. A/F ratio's were real good and it made good hp and torque. I think just a couple of adjustments would do it. You mentioned plug gap, what do you suggest with Denso 22's in these conditions? Also you stated, humidity is important, and I ran these times in about 30% humidity. I also have a set of L/T's and high flow cats coming for the L so that might help it breathe a little better.
So again Mike, thanks for the info, I'll give you a call.
Ken

Last edited by cardealr; 10-15-2003 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Ken,

Sounds like your current tuner is being very cooperative, he's more than willing to address any potential issues, if there were any - so you should be in fine shape there.

With regard to plug gap, the IT-22's are a pretty cold plug, so in a street-driven vehicle you can't go more than about .032-.036, depending on humidity levels - which costs some power as compared to being able to fire a wider gap of course, but not as much as a gross spark blowout or laying down in higher humidity does. This is relatively simple matter of fine-tuning the gap & heat range for your specific conditions, to get the most power & performance with safe EGT's and without having it lay down if the humidity shoots up. Another option is to go back up to the IT-20 - with that plug, you can run at least .036, and up to .040 and still fire reliably all the way to redline in 3rd gear higher humidity.

The tune may need to be adjusted for the LT's & high-flo cats - it's a good idea to do another dyno pull to check the A/F's after installation - and of course, if you get any check engine lights as sometimes happens with LT's, that's easily corrected in the tuning.

Have fun!

Old 10-17-2003, 01:56 AM
I'll call you tomorrow Mike! Thanks again for the info.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome of course, & I look forward to speaking with you.

Quick Reply: Can you get more hp/torque out of a chip or a reflash?