Diablo Chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Chips

Does Diablo make a chip for a 2001 F-150 4.2l V6? Are they any better or worse than a superchip?

Old 10-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi FT06,

Yes, Diablo has been making chips for the 4.2 V6 engines for a few years now, so you have a choice between either brand.

The Superchip will do a better job, as Superchips has more R&D into the tuning of the 4.2 V6 in the F-150 - Superchips basically created the performance chip industry about 20 years ago, so they've been at this for a long time. They've been tuning the 4.2 V6 ever since it was put into these trucks in the 1997 model year, and even before then, back when it was a 3.8.

The 4.2 V6 has some peculiar characteristics and a couple of deficits from the factory that need correcting, and the Superchip does a very good job of that. We have worked with Superchips for years & years on the tuning of the 4.2 V6's, during that time we've done everything from stock to mildly modified V6 F-150's all the way to 400+ HP supercharged 4.2 V6 F-150's that have to tow 5500 lbs., nitrous injected trucks, trucks with bully race-built 4.2's with ported heads, you name it.

I would say that the Diablo is certainly a better powertrain program than say, a Hypertech or a Jet unit - but it's not "better" than a Superchip. In every direct comparison we made, the Superchip gave better safe power gains with lower EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures). The Superchips calibration also does a better job with regard to the automatic transmission models in their shift characteristics, with a much more linear part-throttle ramp-up of shift firmness levels. The Superchip also does a better job of taking care of the 4.2 V6's inherent "weakness" below 2500 rpm.

The bottom line is, you'd probably be happy with either the Diablo or the Superchip - most people prefer the Superchip, as do we - we don't care about the name on the box, what we care about are the actual results, and we get better results with Superchips, which is why we use them on our own vehicles.

Take some time to read the threads in this section, and also please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail.

Thanks for dropping by, and best of luck with your truck whatever you decide!

Old 10-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks Mike! Thats what I was lookin for in a response. I think I will be buying your Stage 1 package for the 4.2 V6 soon. I gotta get started somewhere. Let me know your recomendations for good mods for these trucks. Thanks man.

Old 10-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi FT06,

You're very welcome, anytime!

The Stage 1 setup for the 4.2 V6 F-150 is a great way to go, as that basically takes the stock fuel system and it's 19# injectors as far as they can go, with 1 exception - if you wanted, you could also convert to electric fans for another 15 HP at the wheels, and that would not require any more fuel delivery system capacity.

To go over this properly & get our recommendations as to the specific modifications to do (starting off with our Stage 1 kit is the best route) now, as well as what all else you can do and what the results & costs will be, etc., please give us a call when you can & I'll spend some time with you covering this stuff in proper detail.

Have a great weekend & hope to speak with you soon!

Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Fuel Injectors

Tell me what you know about fuel injectors. How do better ones improve the performance? What are the cost of these? What do you recommend?

Old 10-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi FT06,

>>>Tell me what you know about fuel injectors. <<<

That would take a long time to do literally, and is far too involved for me to sit here typing it all out - so I'll just give you some brief info.........

The first thing to know is that it's not basically about "quality" - the Ford injectors are just fine - it's about their *capacity*. All you really need to know is that your stock 19# injectors are good for about 250 HP or so on the 4.2 V6 - any more and you have to upgrade them, which also requires custom tuning.

We handle all of that for our customers, that's our job to look out for them. You don't have to learn what we know just to be able to modify, drive and enjoy your vehicle - just like we don't ever need to learn what our dentists know about dentistry just to get a cavity filled.

You're a *long* ways away from your injector capacity at this point.

Our Stage 1 kit for the 4.2 V6 F-150 takes them to the max on the stock injectors - anything more (aside from electric fans) and you have to upgrade them to larger flow capacity units - again, it's not a matter of "better" injectors, it's a simple matter of having enough fuel injector flow *capacity* - each injector is rated in terms of how much fuel it can flow in a fixed amount of time - in these trucks & most American vehicles it's rated in # of lbs. of fuel per hour they can flow, in the imports they use CC's per time unit instead of lbs. of fuel per time unit.

The "concern" here is simply that if you do enough modifications to increase power to actually outstrip your stock injectors - and you're fine for now, and will continue to be even with our Stage 1 kit. Anyway, if you do enough modifications, eventually you will reach a point where you have to upgrade them to higher-flowing (not necessarily "better") units & have the vehicle tuned accordingly - we take care of all that for you.

The only time you change injectors from stock is either when an injector fails & needs replacing with another stock unit of the same capacity, or when you actually need *more* raw injector capacity as a result of doing enough modifications to significantly increase engine power - to the point that you have literally out-stripping the flow capacity of the stock units. Put simply, you size the injectors according to your power levels, allowing some headroom.

Our customers don't have to worry about any of that, we take care of them and guide each person in their mods so no mistakes are made - that's just one of the benefits of working with performance experts that are qualified on this specific platform - that's our job, to look out for our customers. So we take care of all that with each customer, we go over their configuration and let them know when they need to budget in for fuel delivery system upgrades or any other changes that are needed to support their mods or the power levels or performance levels they want to get to.

Talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Diablo Chips