Ebay steal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay steal

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I just got a Superchip on Ebay for $84.99 that was already tuned for a 2001 4.2l auto. Im really excited to see the difference in performance! WOO HOO!!!!!

Old 11-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Re: Ebay steal

Originally posted by FordTrucker06
already tuned for a 2001 4.2l auto.
But is it the same engine calibration code as yours?

Last edited by GearHead_1; 11-02-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:07 PM
guess he'll find out soon enough..

Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM
How can the calibration code be different when its for the same truck?

Old 11-02-2003, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhhh, you have much to learn grasshoppa. Your computer code can still be different even if all else is the same. It may even run with the wrong code chip but you will not be exploiting the chip to it's fullest capacity.

Good luck.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Trucks are calibrated for specific regions as well as the programming is updated depending upon manufacturing date. Most trucks with the same engine will have 2 or 3 calibration codes within the same model year. It's also possible that if a truck has been taken into the dealer for repair that the computer has been re-flashed with an updated code (mine has). The chip should have the calibration code in the documentation somewhere (assuming you received it). Your truck has its calibration code on the inside door jam in front of the passanger door. If the chip isn't calibrated for the truck it's likely that it won't start. I found this out the hard way. I pulled my chip when I took my truck in for repair. The dealer updated the software (I didn't know this). I put the chip back in when I got it home and it wouldn't start. I had to send the chip (actually 2 chips) back in and get them reburned. If you have a good relationship with a tuner or have purchased your chip originally through a tuner they may help you update a chip. In your circumstance if the code isn't right I'm afraid you'll be stuck with the update cost.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 11-02-2003 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:00 PM
awwwww crap! Well, I guess I'll be finding out if the code is the same or not, I'll check it when it gets here cuz unfortunately I already payed for the thing. Well, I guess I failed miserably in getting a good deal off of ebay. But, hopefully I wont forget this vital information again! AHHHHHH

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh, you can always get the superchip reprogrammed from Mike. I did the same thing and got a chip from ebay. Mike reprogrammed my chip and I still managed to save abunch of money.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Re-burn is about $100 I think.

You're still gonna save some bucks tho...

Hopefully it's going to work for you.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi FordTrucker06,

That's right, don't worry, as if the code on that chip doesn't match your truck's computer code, we can reprogram it for you.

Even the exact same *identical* in all aspects truck can have *dozens* of different computer codes (actually, it's the software revision in the PCM, which we call the "computer code") in the same model year. Mark (Gearhead_1) made some excellent points in his post about this.

You can find your truck's computer code (and the code on any 1997-2003 F-150) by going to the passenger side of the vehicle, opening the front door, and then looking in the front part of the door frame in the area of the door hinges - there you should find a small sticker that will have 3 letters followed by 1 number on it - WNI2, HBL2, etc., etc., there are thousands of different codes, but it will always be in that same format of 3 letters followed by 1 number. (Note: We're not talking about the code sticker on the back of the Driver's door, that's the wrong code in the wrong place.)

Anyway, find your computer code and then ask whoever sold you that Superchip what the computer code of their vehicle was - don't tell them your code first, *ask* them first - if the code matches, then you can install it. If the code does *not*( match, you *cannot* install it, instead you will need to send it in for reprogramming, and we'll be happy to take care of that for you (there is a small fee) if need be, just give us a call. That happens very quickly, we only need your chip for about 20 minutes to do that work, and then ship it right back out to you.

The Superchip itself should also have a sticker on the back of it that has the code written on it - if not, you need to get that info from it's original owner - and make *sure* you get all his/her original documentation, installation instructions, etc., too.

If you have any trouble finding your truck's computer code (sometimes the stockers get worn, etc.) give us a quick call and we can go over a couple other ways to find the code - we can always help you find your vehicle's computer code.

Congrats on your find, & we'll hope the code just happens to match - if not, that's easy fixable, so don't worry!

Old 11-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Yea...

I just bought my chip off of ebay then had it reprogrammed by mike. in doing that I still managed to save a little bit of money. I paid about 83 bucks shipped too, which wasn't too bad....It bought the total cost of the chip right arond 160 and with the results I get Im fairly happy with the chip and what I paid for it. It knocked about 6/10ths off my 1/4th time.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Chris,

Just a quick note to say hello - good to see you again!

Old 11-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Mike, you should have seen Chris' truck at the track. I was really impressed at the results the chip gave him, I mean my truck is still faster, but he's catching up Just messing with ya Chris!

Old 11-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Beastie,

Yeah, sounds like Chris got good results - the average is a half-second off with just the Superchip, but on occasion, we'll see some trucks get as much as a full second improvement from the Superchip.

Good seeing you, too!

Old 11-15-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi Chris,

Just a quick note to say hello - good to see you again!
Ahh....this shows how much out of the loop I am these days...I just say this post! :o

Again, I am pretty pleased with the results after driving it for a while. There is definately an improvement over stock. Also, last night it droped to about 49 deg. and from a dead stop I was able to spin my tires on clean pavement...I was shocked! I did it twice (I only tried it twice) and I have never been able to do that....lol

I guess you finally made a believer out of me, I was skeptical before, but after using it, it seems to be a pretty good product.

Driving from Baton Rouge to Houston last week I hope to get decent gas mileage, but I did get on it from time to time and I think thats what caused me to get not so good mileage. On my trip today from Baton Rouge to New Orleans it appears my mileage is getting a little better. I'll be able to tell when I get low I usually get about 400 miles per tank I was hoping to get 420-430 (to help offset the fuel cost a little).

Also, good support in helping me gettin my chip working. Im glad I went through you! Really the directions that you game me over the phone made the things so much easier than the directions Superchips provided.

Quick Reply: Ebay steal