Mr. Troyer......04 PSD supership?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Troyer......04 PSD supership?

Hi Mike,
it's been a few years but i've stepped up from my 01 PSD to a 04 PSD King Ranch. I purchased a superchip from you for my '01 and was wondering when the chips for the 04 were due out? Is the '01 chip able to be reburned for the '04? or has the chip changed for the new models?
Thanks in advance.

David

Old 11-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi David,

Nice to see you drop by again!

The chip from your 2001 7.3 PSD will *not* work on any of the new 6.0 PSD's. The reason for this is the 6.0 PSD has a completely different engine management system, based on the Ptech PCM, which no longer has the external override data path to attach the module to. So to change the program, we have to flash the PCM's EEPROM via the OBD-II port with a Micro Tuner.

Superchips has been able to tune them for a little while now, but they've been leery to release due to the problem of lack of proper injector control that has caused so many 2003 6.0 PSD's to dump 10-15 gallons or more of diesel fuel into the crankcase when sitting overnight & ruin the engine - it's a Ford design flaw, but Superchips doesn't want Ford trying to point the finger at the Superchips tuning and deny a warranty repair that was actually caused by Ford's design flaw - so they wanted to wait a little while until Ford dealerships are well aware of that issue, which by now is pretty much the case. Ford has had to replace a number of engines in the 6.0 PSD's due to this injector leaking fuel into the crankcase when not running issue.

Now it is important to know that most 6.0 PSD's don't have this problem, the majority of them are fine, making their owners very happy - if the vehicle accumulates about 3000 miles without that injector problem happening, then they aren't going to have a problem with that injector issue at all, generally speaking.

Anyway...........

Superchips will be releasing a Micro Tuner for the 2004 6.0 PSD's in the near future, and it will probably have the 2003 6.0 PSD files as well - so it won't be long before you can get the Superchips tuning for your 2004 King Ranch PSD - what a truck by the way, a PSD King Ranch is a big beautiful truck, and very expensive - wow, congratulations!

What I would suggest is to offer your present chip for sale here in the Classified Ads section, as it's free & there are always people looking for bargains there.

Also, please shoot us an email to have us put you on our list of 6.0 PSD owners to notify as soon as the Micro Tuner for the 6.0 PSD is ready for shipment - there is a pent-up demand for the Superchips tuning on the 6.0 PSD's, so as soon as they ship everyone will want it.

The power gains that can be made on the 6.0 PSD are comparable to what was achieved on the 7.3 PSD's, so there will be plenty of additional power.

Shoot us an email to: sales@troyerperformance.com - then we can notify you as soon as it is going to be released.

Thanks for dropping by, congrats on your new truck & talk to you soon!

Old 11-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Hya Mike. I agree, the King Ranch is a nice Truck!

I haven't even checked to see if the 03 6.0L chips are out yet because of the injector issues that some 03's have had. I had to get an 03 (Jan build date) because the 04's don't come in Blue. and don't tell me about Fords "True Blue" because that isn't the Blue I like.

Right now this Truck has more power than my F150, so I'm not in a hurry to 'tune it' but eventually the need for more power will creep in . . .

Old 11-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Mike, e-mail is sent. I guess the new truck warm and fuzzy has worn off cause i can really tell the difference in power from my chipped '01 now! i'm glad to hear the power gains will be comparable.

Thanks again.
-David

Old 11-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey there, ATST!!

Great to see you again!

Anita & I think about you & your family often, and we hope all is going well. I never got a chance to talk with Dave again after that last change we made to his program for his nice Ranger 4.0 SOHC - in fact, I think the last time we saw you guys was when I pulled that bone-headed stunt of losing my Lightning keys at last year's Rally when we were all at the drag strip - I felt bad about that, as I was pretty stressed out at that time and wasn't my usual cheery self - I didn't get to spend as much time with you (and some others) as I would have liked to...........so I've always felt bad about my stress level that day, and have wanted to see & talk to you guys again.

We can't thank you & your family enough for making the sacrifices to drive those long distances to come to our Annual F-150 Online Rallys - you have always come & have contributed so much to those events - thank you!!

So now you've for a 2003 6.0 PSD, eh? Wow, what a wonderful truck! Any of them that get 3000 miles on them and don't have the injector problem by that time won't ever have to deal with it - so it sounds like yours is fine, & I'm very glad to hear it.

Did you keep your F-150, or did that nice FOU1 get traded in? You sure did a lot of nice work to that truck, it was *beautiful* and not at all like most of the trucks we see - you really put your ATST stamp on that one!

The new Micro Tuners for the 6.0 PSD's will be released in the next few months it looks like, they have big power gains (and mpg gains) available just like the 7.3 PSD's did - if you'd like to shoot us an email to sales@troyerperformance.com, we'll put you on the list to notify once they're actually shipping, if you like.

Thanks for dropping by again, it's been too long! Please give our bests to your family, your son (please tell them all we said hello!) & to Dave, etc., & keep in touch!

Old 11-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Just to clarify for blkbrute who is also named Dave, Mike was reffering to my BF "Dave" who has a 01 Ranger Edge in the above post. I just noticed that blkbrute has signed his name "Dave" and thought to myself he'd sure be confused! LOL

Mike, I wasn't trying to suck up blkbrute's thread, but man I could burn up a phone line if I told you about my summer, so I'll try to email ya when I get a chance. Looking forward to seeing whatcha got for the 6.0.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi there, AndThenSomeToo!

It's just so good to see you drop by & hear from you again - brings a smile to our faces *every* time my wife Anita or myself even just hear your name - and please, always feel free to burn up my phone line *any time* - it's always a pleasure to speak with kindred spirits like yourself.

I look forward to your email & hope your summer went well, and that everyone in your family & circle of friends is doing OK!

Quick Reply: Mr. Troyer......04 PSD supership?