When to install programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to install programmer?

I am considering a hyper or super brand programmer...looks like this group digs the Superchip a little better..

any way..

at what point is the best to install the prgrammer? after tires,and other mods...?

for exapmle i just installed a FIPK and already have a decent exhaust/muffler. So now seems like the time to go with the chip...

the question that remains is that i heard some programmers dont work with superchargers...is that true..? or can i put the programmer on then add a supercharger later??

dave

Old 11-17-2003, 11:27 PM
You can put the chip in whenever you want. And it should work with a supercharger. But if you put the supercharger in you might want to look at changing your gear ratios to 3.73's or you might have some serious problems.

Old 11-18-2003, 02:26 AM
Question TRANS RATIO

Thanks for the tip

I notice you have 3.73 w/o supercharger. is that still good?

what is normal?

i have 3.55 limited slip...good or average or not so good?

dave

Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 PM
avirtualbeing.........
You can do the SuperChips MicroTuner at any time. There are menu options to accomidate alot of gears, tire sizes, etc.
But, if you are going to supercharge the motor, know that the Tuner will not work with a supercharger. You will have to get a chip module instead. The flip-chip (dual program) is usually recommended for blown engines.

Blaze1..........
I have no idea why you said to change the gears after supercharging an engine. What problems could one have from keeping the 3.55 gears after s'charging the engine?

Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey RebelYell

i guess at that point (with a blower or whatever) the chip isn't even all that.

so i suppose its a good 20-30 HP with a programmer...for $350

or

ALOT (100 + HP) with the supercharger... for $3000

either but probably not both!

dave

getting into that 400HP would be pretty killer though!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi avirtualbeing,

Great screen name!

There really is no set specific time or point at which you have to reach (or need to wait, etc.) before you can install a performance chip or get a performance program - actually, most people tend to do that *first* simply because it's generally the single best bang for the buck performance enhancement for these vehicles. Now of course tuning alone will not make a heavy truck suddenly turn into a rocketship, but nothing else will improve performance as much for the same or less cost as a properly optimized powertrain program/tune, so it's at the top of the best bang for the buck list, so to speak - this is true of almost all computer controlled vehicles in general by the way, optimizing the powertrain program is generally the best bang for the buck in most computer controlled vehicles.

Now one consideration that *is* important in this regard is your *other* modifications - those you may already have as well as those you may be planning in the future - meaning, if you are going to do mods that actually require custom engine tuning to compensate for in these specific vehicles, like a supercharger, or ported cylinder heads, an aftermarket MAF, larger fuel injectors, nitrous oxide, etc. - when doing those kinds of mods, you will need some involved custom tuning, and in *that* case, you can't use the standard 1715 Micro Tuner - instead, your best bet is to use the traditional Superchip module, as it can take a custom tune and can also be updated as often as needed for future changes in the vehicle's configuration.

Here's an important point to remember - you *cannot* use any "standard" performance tuning (like in a Micro Tuner, or a Power Programmer, or a standard (non-custom) performance chip, or any other type of non-custom powertrain program) with a supercharger - that's a very good way to blow up the engine. A supercharged engine requires far different tuning than a non-supercharged engine, so no standard tuner or chip can be used with a blower - they require proper custom tuning to protect the engine, and specific custom tuning based on solid dyno data at that - A/F ratios, engine timing, IAT's, MAF flow data, etc. all need to be data logged so the tuner (us) can do our job correctly.

Now of course we can do all of that for you, too - we provide supercharger kits & packages as well, including the custom tuning required for a supercharger in a complete package so nothing is left out.

Let's go over the types of mods you can do and *still* be able to safely use the tuning in the "standard" Micro Tuner - in the late-model Ford half-ton platform (including F-150, Expedition, etc.) those would be: an intake kit, a cat-back exhaust system, a larger throttle body, electric fans, underdrive pulleys & ignition system upgrades. And in *some* cases, you can even run shorty headers, too - we have to decide that on a case-by-case basis depending on the other mods present, and in some cases, the actual brand of parts used.

So there are a *lot* of mods you can do to get very nice power & performance gains and still be able to use the "standard" Micro Tuner - it has the most flexibility & best features, giving you 3 different performance programs for just about any kind of use with the mods I listed above as being compatible, from towing to drag racing.

We can set you up with a Superchip module that will properly tune your vehicle for it's *current* configuration, and it can also be updated should you decide to bolt on a supercharger in the future too, so you don't lose your basic investment.

To go over all of this properly, please give us a call at our number listed below when you get a chance - it's really far too involved to try covering by typing it all out, of course, as you can probably see by now. We can go over the power gains & performance increases you can get right now, as well as what's involved with doing a the supercharger, what kind of supercharger you'll want to use on these vehicles, and just about anything else you might want to do to or with your vehicle. We specialize in this platform, so we can take the performance of these Fords literally just as far as each vehicle owner wants to go.

If you haven't seen it before, you might want to drop by our web site over at www.TroyerPerformance.com - click on "Shop" once the home page loads, & then you'll see all the individual sections, like Intake, Exhaust, Superchips, etc., etc. - a really good place to take a look at is in our 'Performance Packages" section, as we offer Stage 1 thru Stage 5 packages for these trucks, along with very thorough details that you'd probably enjoy reading up on, if you like.

Thanks for dropping by, please don't hesitate to give us a call to go over this or anything else performance-related about your truck, & we hope you'll hang out here with us in your spare time!

Good luck,

Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Talking Thanks Mike

Thank man

I appriciate the great response...told my wife that even as a business...its great tosee you take a suck an involved interest!

yeah..cool took a while to think of it.

hey nice site..

when its time to order your first on my list...that in part because i can see you are taking time already to deal with customers that are not even customers yet! thats killer service!

oh,i think i am going to go supercharger now...and nothing inside. But i was looking at that magnaflow at your site....hmmm...looks good!

dave

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Dave,

Thanks, that's very kind of you to say.

Since you feel you will be going supercharged, I would suggest giving us a call some time to go over a number of aspects in detail before you actually buy anything - feel free to call us anytime, you won't be under any "pressure" to place an immediate order or anything like that, as we recognize the need for thorough pre-sales support.

Best of luck with your truck whatever you decide - I like the "Red Dragon" theme, by the way.

Have fun,

Old 11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
TYPOS--- man!!!!!!

sshould have been SUCH not SUCK i guess you figured that out.

i am making excuses...my keboard is broken for one thing..the other is that these keys are way to close together...i can't find a LARGE keyboard for MAC! just my luck for switching!

i also meant to say...i thought it any way..i am NOT going supercharged...

so i looked at the packages you have...i have enven considered changing the new K&N FIPK and replacing it with the AIR FORCE that you offer..they look sweet..don't know if performance is much different.

but i do intendto switch to the magnaflow and add the superchip, and the electrical kit.

thanks alot for your time...

next year i'llcall with an order/questions

dave

oh, i also heard headers are pretty tough to get on under there with such atight space...any thought on that?

Old 11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Dave,

No problem, I was able to figure out you meant "such" instead of "suck" - pretty funny, actually - don't worry, I got it.

OK, so you're *not* going to go supercharged, now I understand...........

While we're love to see your truck wearing the Air Force One instead of the K&N FIPK kit, the additional performance (about 3 more HP) of the AF1 over the FIPK kit is *not* worth the cost of buying yet another intake kit when the one you already have is paid for and works - so I'd just leave the K&N intake on there (unless you hit the lottery and/or just want to spend extra money), and save that money to be used instead for mods in other areas - that will give you a higher net gain in power for the same money spent. You've already got an intake kit that works, so leave it on there & get something else.

Installing headers is always going to take some work - Some here, Like Neal the HP Freak, can do a JBA header install on his truck in just a few hours - of course he's got a lot of experience modifying vehicles in general. Someone who has never installed headers on any vehicle before can still do it, but will probably find it's a 6 hour or so job instead of a 3 hour job, that's all. Today's bolt-on "shorty" style headers aren't a really "tough" installation generally speaking - it's just going to take some time & work - it's certainly do-able.

Headers come a bit further down the bang for the buck list, after things like tuning, intake, a cat-back exhaust system, etc. that doesn't mean you *have* to do other things first, not at all - you can do headers whenever you want - it's just that in terms of the actual amount of performance improvement for dollars spent, headers generally come after some other bolt-ons.

Have fun,

Old 11-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks Mike

thanks man

i'll get with you on SOMETHING in JAN or FEB...its a wife thing...ya know...ouch!

but i keep telling her we will save $ on mileage!! he hee

dave

Quick Reply: When to install programmer?