Superchips Microtuner 1715

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you are brainwashed into following him? I guess there is no point for me to post to this forum.

I dont care how many times he has helped others. The original poster asked a question and he didnt answer it. At least the other members made suggestions on where to purchase one for less. Go back and read the posts, you will see he added nothing to the conversation except preaching how you should always buy the unit retail and preferably from him.

The point wasnt to get a refund and gain 10%. The point was an F-150 owner bought a superchip tuner and wanted to tune his truck.

I haven't owned a ford in years, dont even own a truck. I stumbled on this forum by chance, I gain nothing by posting here.

Since we are throwing insults, Ill tell you that my Subaru would do better off road and get more MPG than your 03 F-150. I only paid 1350 total including the price of the car and repairs so Im not afraid to push it. I can send power to all 4 wheels on the street. It has a viscous center differential and clutch based rear and I can lock the center on demand. My coefficient of drag is .29 (lower than most exotics) and my weight balance is near 50%f-50%r. what about you?

BTW, I think your caps lock was stuck

Last edited by ciper; 01-19-2004 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ciper
I signed up to the f150online forums just to respond to this post.

In short Superchips_Distributor is a jerk that only wants to make a sale instead of helping someone who wants to get a good deal on a tuner.
In short, I would suggest that you immediately terminate your membership to this site as you apparently don't have enough IQ points to be posting with it's membership.

I've purchased a number of products from Mike Troyer (i.e. SuperChips_Distributor) for my truck, and have always found him to be very forthright, honest, and a pleasure to work with. His knowledge of our vehicles and the products he retails is nothing short of amazing. For you to walk into this site and slam a supporting vendor like Mike with your first post is reprehensible. And about your whole dissertation regarding how Microtuners could get returned and re-sold to unwitting consumers, wake up and smell the roses! Why do you think all the big consumer retailers like Best Buy have a strict policy of not accepting returns on opened computer software. And when you boil the Microtuner down, that is exactly what you're buying, software. Do you think Microsoft is going to offer you a license on a second had piece of software you acquired through some aftermarket channel? Gee, let me quess.....

If you have any wherewithall about you, you'll issue a formal apology to Mr. Troyer for your ridiculous comments. If not, I can only hope you take my original suggestion.

- Mike-

Old 01-19-2004, 10:57 PM
BigDeal: So even though I used no profanity and made my posts easy to read I somehow broke the rules? It goes back to the special treatment for paying vendors.

The Tuner was purchased with the knowledge that it would work on his truck. If the original shop took it as a return while vin locked it was a mistake. The bad guy here is the producers of the superchip who are charging 200 dollars to reprogram. The shop obviously contributes to their profit, they should support him as a distributor.
Why assume some evil scheme is in play? A mistake was made that superchips can correct. The store would be happy and continue to sell the product knowing in the future not to take returns. Now either way you look at it someone is going to get screwed while its in superchips power to prevent it.

I can see this forum is only about helping people if a dollar can be made. Ill delete my posts now.

edit: I cant delete my own posts?

"You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
If you are trying to post, your account may be awaiting you to take the appropriate action for activation.
You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account for violation of our forum rules.
Logged in user: ciper [logout] "

Last edited by ciper; 01-19-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Talk about going off on a tangent

Guys,

The original post was intended to vent my frustrations about buying a used Microtuner that was VIN-locked. Although I do respect Mike's comments and agree that he is a valuable member of this website, I don't agree with his "theft" assessment when it comes to resetting your own tuner.

If resetting the tuner on your own is a crime, how about reprogramming your stock vehicle computer? Didn't the manufacturer commit R&D resources to the software that runs your truck? By even backing up the stock programming to your tuner, are you commiting piracy?

Some drivers in California even run such aggressive tunes that they make their vehicles gross polluters, is that not a crime?

What I am getting it, is that although ciper may have been aggressive with his argument, I think he is right about letting authorized resellers like Mike Troyer have the ability to reset these things. Again, I do respect Mike's professional opinion about technical matters, I don't agree with the assesment that making a used tuner work is illegal when done by a private party. If you were to copy the microtuner code and resell it as your own, that certainly is piracy, no argument there.

But if you buy the product for personal use as a used item, and it's disabled, I don't feel I should have to pay $200 to reset it. I don't want this thread to turn into an attack on people, but it should be and educated adult discussion about a very popular product that we all use (or would like to).

Old 01-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gentlemen,

Don't bother getting in an uproar over this ciper character -
he's just an immature person who thinks hiding behind a monitor screen to say nasty things somehow makes him something, or feel "bigger," or somehow "better" - it doesn't.

The only thing such conduct does is to let everyone know just what class of individual he is. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's been here before & been banned previously under other screen names.

Sure, he just happened to drop by here - the Computer Chips section - just to make his first post to attack me. Right, and pigs fly.

His type is to be pitied, and those who believe in a higher power of some kind just might want to do something nice & say a little prayer for him.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:20 PM
kudos mike

i couldn't have put it any better myself mike-phil

Old 01-21-2004, 05:27 PM
I want to thank you guys for your posts. I was considering the purchase a 1715 from ebay until I say this string. I just got off the phone with Anita from TroyerPerformance and should be receiving my tuner next week. I am looking forward to this product and am very glad I call Mike's shop.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:28 PM
psdl

psdl, what was your price shipped? Good luck with it.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Superchips_Distributor is a great example of what happens when forums become too popular. The members want something for free, so in order to support the forum vendors pay a membership.
And you sir are a great example of what happens when morons are allowed to breed.

Mike can definitely get carried away with his posts. That does not in any way change the validity of what he wrote.

The purpose here isnt theft. Lets say a local speed shop carries the product. They have a policy of "10 days return policy" on any item. Someone purchases the unit and tunes their vehicle.
The shop's employees cant know every detail about every product sold. The shop cant be expected to have one of every vehicle they sell products for.
Then they shouldn't take the tuner back in the first place. Do you know of any computer stores that you can go into, buy software, open it, then return it? No because then anyone who wanted to could buy the software, copy it, and return it for a full refund.

As a consumer I have the right to try and get the best price for any item. The main issue here is that superchips punishes the vendor that is selling the product. If they want to protect the product from the consumer thats fine, the shop should be able to have a tuner reset.
Get real. _Someone_ is using their software. Why should SuperChips incur the loss of a sale because the shop takes back an opened tuner from some moron?

I have electronics knowledge, without knowing the details of the superchips unit I know that reseting it to defaults would intentionally be made easy in order to save time when a unit is returned. Most likely it is a certain key combination or a certain communication sent to the unit.
It would be done through the serial cable by reflashig the NVRAM.

A superchips unit is just like an XBOX.
NO IT IS NOT. The SuperChips Microtuner is a _software_ product. Just because it comes in a plastic case with some buttons, does not change the fact that it is a software product.

You can't run a piece of software you bought on 20 different computers, so why should SuperChips let you reset your unit for free?

People have found ways to run their own applications on them. Microsoft doesnt like it. It doesnt matter who or where you purchased the system from they try their hardest to prevent it.
The Xbox is a hardware device. I have paid Microsoft for the _hardware_ and not the software. As such, I can do whatever I want to with the hardware. You can do the same thing with the Microtuner. You can use the hardware for whatever you want to. You do not have the same rights with their software.

In short Superchips_Distributor is a jerk that only wants to make a sale instead of helping someone who wants to get a good deal on a tuner.
The only jerk here is you and you have made that crystal clear.

-Don

* I realized after I posted that BigDeal said the same thing about it being a software product. My apologies.

Last edited by sirket; 01-22-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Talk about going off on a tangent

Some drivers in California even run such aggressive tunes that they make their vehicles gross polluters, is that not a crime?
It is a crime.

What I am getting it, is that although ciper may have been aggressive with his argument, I think he is right about letting authorized resellers like Mike Troyer have the ability to reset these things. Again, I do respect Mike's professional opinion about technical matters, I don't agree with the assesment that making a used tuner work is illegal when done by a private party. If you were to copy the microtuner code and resell it as your own, that certainly is piracy, no argument there.
_Could_ CuperChips reprogram the tuner easily enough? Sure. Should they? That depends on how often the situation comes up. The problem is, if they do it once or twice, what's to stop everyone from programming their vehicle and then dumping the tuner on eBay knowing full well that SuperChips would reset it for whoever buys it?

Maybe then they institute a policy where they only unlock a particular serial number once. This just pushes the problem out a few months when the next person to buy the unit does the same thing.

As a software developer and purchaser I can see both sides of the argument. At least they give you an option at all. Some software developers would tell you that you are out of luck and you have to buy a new unit as well as be out the money on the original.

-Don

Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Re: psdl

Originally posted by richgonfishn
psdl, what was your price shipped? Good luck with it.
My price was discounted because I called them and refered to my membership on this site. $306 delivered. This is my first mod and I am looking forward to it.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that subaru sounds sweet!

styling and profiling baby

Quick Reply: Superchips Microtuner 1715