Superchips Microtuner 1715

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Superchips Microtuner 1715

I have been reading all the posts about buying the microtuner used, and now regret buying mine from ebay even though the auction claimed the tuner was new.

I received it today and attempted to use it, then the dreaded "VIN-locked" message. Of course I thought there is a way to reset the microtuner, but after searching I have come up empty.

I understand there is some $$$ you have to pay to have superchips reset it, any ideas on how much that is? Also, it looks like a standard db-9 serial port connection on the tuner, would anyone happen to have the pinouts and a terminal program that would reflash it? Maybe nvram that can be replaced/reset?

To all of those that see these "good deals" on ebay for these things, stay away and take the advice of those who recommend buying from fellow f-150 owners/enthisiasts. It saves hassle in the long run.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:31 AM
How much?

How much did you pay on ebay? I just paid $361.00 brand new with free shipping. The site also has the Hypertech III programmers for $306.00. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:50 AM
I would deal with the ebay loser that sold it to you first. If you get no where with that then buy a new one from a reputable vendor like Troyer Performance.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:37 PM
bought mine from ebay, and i am quite happy with it

sorry about your experience, tho. i emailed the guy to make sure he had put his truck back to stock, he said he did. i kept the email just in case so i could show it to ebay or paypal or whoever in the event that i would need to get my money back.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Re: How much?

Originally posted by richgonfishn
How much did you pay on ebay? I just paid $361.00 brand new with free shipping. The site also has the Hypertech III programmers for $306.00. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
I paid about $229 shipped. I knew it was to good to be true. I did contact the seller and he said he would pay to get it reset if it wasn't to expensive or refund my money %110 because my time was wasted.

I called superchips and it's $200 to reset the darn thing and I have to pay for shipping both ways. The electronics inside are very simple and I am looking for a way to reset it myself if it's not to much trouble. I can't beleive there hasn't been anybody that has figured out a way to reset these things.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Hard Lesson!!

I would get your 110% refund. Go with a new unit. As I mentioned, I picked it up brand new for $306.00 no tax and free shipping. I think Mike is offering the same deal? His customer service is second to none.

Good Luck!!

Don't try and reset yoursposition: form-data; name="message"

I would get your 110% refund. Go with a new unit. As I mentioned, I picked it up brand new for $306.00 no tax and free shipping. I think Mike is offering the same deal? His customer service is second to none.

Good Luck!!

Don't try and reset yourself. Your only asking for problems.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
By and large, you'll get a better price on Micro Tuners by ordering them from us here at Troyer Performance, and doing it by phone as opposed to on our web site - this holds true only for the Superchips products purchased separately (not our combo deals & Stage kits that include Superchips products, or any other parts displayed on our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com), as on our web site we have to abide by the manufacturer's MAP (minimum advertised price) guidelines - so call us when ordering is the hot tip. We're the oldest Superchips distributor in America, we've participated in a good bit of the R&D that has gone into a number of these Superchips truck programs (such as the "MAX" performance tune in the 1715 Micro Tuner), and nobody knows more about these Superchips products (well, aside from the manufacturer) than we do. (Shameless plug ends here)

For Davtrel - the only way to get that MT usable when it's VIN-locked and the seller isn't going to make it right is to send it in to the manufacturer Superchips Inc. directly - they will charge you about a $200 fee to unlock that Micro Tuner last I heard. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you!

And as you correctly pointed out, EBay is not the best way to buy something like that - in fact, it can be the worst, as unfortunately happened to this gentleman and numerous others. Any time you're buying something like an electronic performance part, or anything technical regarding these vehicles, etc., you want to make sure you're getting it brand new, with a warranty, from a company that is authorized by the manufacturer and that really knows the product very well.

Best of luck to everyone,

Old 01-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Re: Hard Lesson!!

Originally posted by richgonfishn

Good Luck!!

Don't try and reset yoursposition: form-data; name="message"

Good Luck!!

Don't try and reset yourself. Your only asking for problems.
Mike,

Can you offer the same deal? $306 shipped? If so, I am ordering one today.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Did you read?

Mike stated it's benifical to place your order by phone. His price is as good if not better than the $361.00.

Troyer Performance, Inc.
Phone: (540) 862.9515
FAX: (540) 862.9485 Primary
Sales@TroyerPerformance.com

Old 01-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Yah, none of the places I checked had their real price on the 'net. You have to call to really find out..... I picked up my MicroTuner from 2D for $280 + $11 for 3 day select shipping. I think regular ground was $8 though.

As for resetting a 1715, theres supposedly a 'white-paper' floating around the 'net on how to reset it yourself. I dunno for sure.....

Old 01-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Good price

Originally posted by Griffin
Yah, none of the places I checked had their real price on the 'net. You have to call to really find out..... I picked up my MicroTuner from 2D for $280 + $11 for 3 day select shipping. I think regular ground was $8 though.

As for resetting a 1715, theres supposedly a 'white-paper' floating around the 'net on how to reset it yourself. I dunno for sure.....

$280 is a really good price. I went on their website, but the price was $361, I guess that was a sale?

In any case, I really wish someone would post instructions on how to reset these things. I understand that their is a potential for abuse, but those with honorable intentions would not have to pay $200 for 60 seconds of labor, which is probably how long it takes superchips to reset these tuners.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:52 AM
Re: Good price

Originally posted by darvtrel
$280 is a really good price. I went on their website, but the price was $361, I guess that was a sale?
Nope, not a sale, regular price. They just cant post that price on the 'net. You gotta call them directly to get that price!

Last edited by Griffin; 01-18-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi darvtrel,

The seller has already offered you a 110% refund - so there is no valid reason to do anything other than take the 110% refund.

As I mentioned before, there is not any way to just reset it yourself - though some love to perpetrate those rumors from time to time, not once have we ever seen that actually done by anyone other than the manufacturer, and we're the oldest Superchips distributor in America. Even if someone *could* do that it would still be *theft,* plain and simple. There are no conditions under which that is allowed without paying the manufacturer for that additional vehicle usage, that is theft. Which is why you won't find a solution for that, as virtually nobody with a brain wants to take on the manufacturer and the FBI for infringement of intellectual property - that's how serious that is. Now, could someone *possibly* figure out a way to do that? Well, with enough knowledge, sure they can - an EE (electrical engineer) should be able to given enough time & resources - but nobody with enough brainpower to tie their own shoes would ever get involved in doing that. Trying to save $200 is *not* worth a potential felony conviction, and what has to be remembered is that being able to do what you're talking about is theft - that defrauds the manufacturer by allowing people to run multiple vehicles with the same Micro Tuner tuning at the same time. That is theft, plain and simple. And if a manufacturer cannot protect their own intellectual property from theft, then they cannot afford R&D to create these products - thus they either couldn't get made, or would have to cost everyone else much more money. So on the off chance that you really didn't understand that what you want to do by trying to unlock that unit without paying the fee to the manufacturer is considered theft, now you know better - it's theft, no 2 ways about it.

The truth of the matter is your problem has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that these units can be used to tune only 1 vehicle at the same time (just like every other similar device, by the way) - the problem is exactly what you put in your first post, the fact that you bought a used unit off of EBay in an attempt to save a few dollars - and the seller sold you a unit that is VIN-locked. Well, the *ONLY* way a Micro Tuner gets VIN-locked is if someone is *still* using it's tuning.

What it sounds like to me is that this is someone buying up cheap used units wherever he can and then resells them over on EBay - and he doesn't own or even have access to a vehicle that he can even check the units with - so he obviously knows *nothing* about the product.

However, this is all a mute point, because you have already stated that the seller is willing to give you a 110% refund and make it right - and if that is true, then there is absolutely *no* sense even considering doing anything other than taking that 110% refund. At which point you aren't out anything and even have an additional 10% with which to help offset the cost of a brand new unit with a warranty that will work.

Keep in mind that I'm just trying to explain to you the situation, the fact that it's theft to use the unit on more than 1 vehicle at the same time, what the real problem is, and what your obvious solution is, as I just don't want to see *anyone* getting into trouble over something that is easy to remedy as your situation is - especially a nice innocent fellow like yourself who is just trying to get what he paid for - You deserve better!

So please remember - your remedy is to take the 110% refund you have already been offered by the seller. Then if you want a Micro Tuner, use that extra 10% to help offset the cost of buying a brand new unit that actually works and has a warranty.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
I signed up to the f150online forums just to respond to this post.

Superchips_Distributor is a great example of what happens when forums become too popular. The members want something for free, so in order to support the forum vendors pay a membership.

Since those vendors pay a membership they get special status in the forum.

Superchips_Distributor is able to come in with long winded speaches in order to protect his own interest (making a sale).

The purpose here isnt theft. Lets say a local speed shop carries the product. They have a policy of "10 days return policy" on any item. Someone purchases the unit and tunes their vehicle.

The shop's employees cant know every detail about every product sold. The shop cant be expected to have one of every vehicle they sell products for.

Now the shop handles selling open items at a discount (still a proft most times). Some of those items are sold on ebay. He has no way of knowing the condition of the unit other than the fact that it looks brand new, including the manual and assorted papers that where never opened.

As a consumer I have the right to try and get the best price for any item. The main issue here is that superchips punishes the vendor that is selling the product. If they want to protect the product from the consumer thats fine, the shop should be able to have a tuner reset.

I know your next lame argument will be "you could have a shop stealing programing vehicles and reseting the unit." Fine, the shop pays shipping both ways and the superchips company has a record. No need to charge 200$ for nothing.

I have electronics knowledge, without knowing the details of the superchips unit I know that reseting it to defaults would intentionally be made easy in order to save time when a unit is returned. Most likely it is a certain key combination or a certain communication sent to the unit.

A superchips unit is just like an XBOX. People have found ways to run their own applications on them. Microsoft doesnt like it. It doesnt matter who or where you purchased the system from they try their hardest to prevent it. Sure it could be used for theft (playing copied games) but it can also be used for good (running your own application, playing games or dvd not released in this region).

In short Superchips_Distributor is a jerk that only wants to make a sale instead of helping someone who wants to get a good deal on a tuner.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Angry who's the jerk- CIPER IS!

who's the jerk- CIPER IS- MIKE HAS GONE OUT OF HIS WAY MORE TIMES THAN I CAN MENTION TO ASSIST AND AID PEOPLE WITH PROBLEMS AND ?'S ON THEIR TRUCKS-EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T EVEN PURCHASED ANYTHING FROM HIM- I CAN ATTEST TO THIS- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION BUT NOT AT THE DISCREDITING OF SOMEONE ELSE WHEN YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEM- SOME PEOPLE NEED TO GET A LIFE!

Quick Reply: Superchips Microtuner 1715