Hypertech Programmer III - Use on two vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Hypertech Programmer III - Use on two vehicles?

I have an '02 F-150 4x4 4.6L. I am looking to purchase a Hypertech power programmer III. Will a used one work the same? The web site states that the unit marries itself to the first vehicle that it is used on. Is this true? I noticed many of them for sale on this site and on online auction sites.

If you have used a previously used Hypertech power programmer III - Let me know your results, please.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi kev,

A used flash device can work, but ONLY if it the ORIGINAL vehicle it was used on was returned back to it's STOCK factory program - and you have NO way of knowing if the seller did that or not until after you have paid your money and actually try to use the unit - so we recommend beware, do not buy used units unless you either *know* the individual, or they are a registered member here on F-150 Online - that usually gets you your best chance of a successful transaction.

However, if you want a better product, use the Superchips Micro Tuner - you'll get better power & performance gains, and not have to use gimmicks like the abnormally cold thermostat Hypertech requires on most of their applications, etc. You can always almost always find a deal on one of those here in the Classifieds. Forget EBay in general, look in the Classified Ads here on F-150 Online, as here you will usually find a more reliable & honest type of individual - not to knock *everyone* on EBay, but you get everything from honest people to the scum of the Earth plying their trade there & on other "auction" sites, etc., and you just never know - caveat emptor is the rule. I recommend just sticking with someone selling their unit in the Classifieds section here on F-150 Online, which you can access via it's link on the left side of your screen here.

Last - if you get a unit that the previous owner did NOT return their vehicle to stock with, then it will arrive "VIN-locked" to that original vehicle, and it cannot be used - well, you can pay a big fee and send it back to the manufacturer to have them unlock it, but by that time you could have bought a new unit for much less and had a Warranty, Tech Support, & all the other benefits of ownership - none of which you get when buying used.

Getting a used unit can indeed work very well, as long as the previous owner returned their vehicle to stock - I wouldn't say to NEVER consider buying used, just know what's going on up front, be aware that you have no benefits of ownership, etc., and if that is OK with you, then it can work for you. Though I would say to look for a used 1715 Superchips Micro Tuner over the Hypertech unit, as you'll get better results - the Hypertech unit is "generic'," meaning you get a program that is compromised for use on all similar vehicles, instead of being individual vehicle-specific like Superchips. With the Superchips Micro tuner, each unit contains thousands of programs, a set of 3 different tunes for *each* and every different truck's individual computer code, and these F-150's have hundreds of different computer codes each model year alone - and that makes a significant difference in the results.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Quick Reply: Hypertech Programmer III - Use on two vehicles?