Another satisfied troyer customer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another satisfied troyer customer

Just wanted to let everyone know that i pulled the trigger last week on a 1715 tuner and Air force one from Troyer last week. Just got the intake on Monday. I had the usual problem, pushed the tube too far in and choked out my idle. After calling I was walked through the solution very easily. I have 1/4 tank left of 87 before I do the tune with 91. I'm considering leaving my truck running with the AC on all morning. If gas wasn't so expensive I would. Just on the intake results alone Thanks for all the help guys

Old 04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi mattdaly2,

Thanks for your post - glad to hear you got the AF1 installed OK!

You'll love what the 1715 Micro Tuner does for your truck's performance, too.

We recommend running the current tank of 87 octane down until the low fuel light first comes on, then fill it up with premium, and then you can install the tuning immediately - of course, you could go ahead and install the 87 octane program in the Micro Tuner right away if you wanted to - but if you're close to running down the 87, I'd probably just wait until the premium gas is on board & get the full effects.

Have fun,

Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Thumbs up just programmed it

Holy crap,
Is this a new ride I just got in? The tuning on this program is awesome. The power gains and smoothness now is incredible. Looking forward to the highway ride home. Awesome product. Looking at getting the exhaust next. Can you give me some info about headers for my ride, 4.6 2wd

Thanks a bunch
Matt

Old 04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
hey matt,
just check the website and answer your own question, don't contribute to Mike's carpal tunnel by having him reply to a question you can answer yourself.

Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: just programmed it

Originally posted by mattdaly2
Can you give me some info about headers for my ride, 4.6 2wd

Thanks a bunch
Matt
A friend put the JBA shorty headers on his 4.6l and said it didn't give him too much more. He had a header back exhaust setup before he stuck the shortys on there. B/C of his experience I'm just gonna wait till I can afford the longtubes.

I stuck on the Magnaflow 3" SI/SO exhaust setup that mike sells and it gave me .1 to .2 in the 1/4 mile over having the muffler cut out and a straight pipe welded in there. So, over the stock setup, you might see .3s in the 1/4. I ran at the track one week w/ the stock muffler cut out, changed the exhaust over the weekend, and ran the next week so the weather conditions were similar. The setup is also direct bolt up, you can do it in your driveway w/ hand tools if need be.

I talked to Mike about this some time ago and he said for max gains the setup would be longtube headers, High flow cats, X-pipe, and then 2 magnaflow mufflers. Hope I got that right... It's a costly setup but if you're looking for max performance, then it's what ya gotta have.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Matt,

This is a bit off-topic for this section, so I'll give you a brief answer here now then you can call us whenever you get a chance to go over this in proper detail, if you like.

David (Intel486) makes a valid point in that the *ultimate* setup is indeed our long-tube headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, etc. setup like the fastest Lightning owners (and some others like Beastie, Neal, myself & some others) use, but it's mighty darn expensive - it's really for those who want every last horsepower and are willing to spend whatever it takes. It's not the best actual "bang for the buck" value, in my opinion - it's simply the highest HP & torque solution, and it's big $$$.

Doing a set of JBA shorty bolt-on headers will net you about 14 horsepower on a normally aspirated 4.6 F-150, so they're certainly worth doing - they just come a bit further down on the "bang for the buck" list from some of "the basics" like tuning, intake kit, cat-back exhaust, etc., just due to their cost. In general, headers are virtually always worth doing for those looking for more power.

I don't remember exactly what all mods you have at this point Matt, but if you'd like to call me I can go over all of that with you, and let you know just exactly where the headers rank for *your* truck's current configuration in terms of their basic bang for the buck value compared to whatever other mods you may not have at this point, if that would be of help to you.

Enjoy your weekend with your new go-fast goodies!

Hope that info helps,

Quick Reply: Another satisfied troyer customer