Clue Less!!!Need Help With Chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clue Less!!!Need Help With Chips

I Need some help on what would be the Best Performance chip for my Truck I have a 2002 F150 Sport V-6 4.2L , Flowmaster 30 with 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust. Any Suggestions on What chip would benifit me the Most?

Any help is Greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run a couple programs in my truck from Mike Troyer and haven't had any problems w/ them at all.

The chip really gave my truck a LOT in 2nd gear. We tested it before and after installation against another truck and it wasn't a subtle difference. It definately made a nice sized power gain.

Also, if you have an automatic transmission, then you'll really like the way the chip changes the way it shifts. No more lazy, luxury shifts!

Old 04-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Cost

How much do they cost? I have an automatic, also what about installation, I really have no idea about these things.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can look at http://www.troyerperformance.com/ for more information about cost and other stuff Mike T has to offer. Best option would also be to give him a call on the phone. He can tell u a lot more than I'll be able to.

Installation couldn't be simpler and Mike T sends some detailed instructions along with the chip to tell you how to install it. The chip was the first mod I put on my truck and I did it before I even knew how to change oil and only had a cheap little 20 piece socket set so you know it's easy!

Old 04-09-2004, 11:34 AM
as intel486 said, you will notice a difference! The installation is simple for the Microtuner, if you can read. open the hood, pull a fuse. plug in a computer, push bottons, and have ten minutes it's "installed".
I'm sure Mike at Troyer Performance will ring in here also, but if he doesn't give his shop a call and ask for there best price, they will cut you a deal and all the good advise you could ever ask for.

T-man

I see intel86 got his post in before mine------oh well have a good day!

Last edited by triumphman; 04-09-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Thank You

Thank You both for your help Hopefully Mike will drop a line, Im not a very Talkative person on the phone. Than you again

Old 04-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello SportXL,

The reason the others suggested calling us is simply because most of them know how long we tend to spend on the phone going over all the details, making sure our customers know all their options, etc., and thus most F-150 owners enjoy talking to us as we've specialized in F-150 performance for many years - we tend to be passionate about these F-150's.

Just to give you some perspective (and please, don't be put off by this, I'll get you some info in a second).....................................

Your question is the same basic question that the tens of thousands of people who have come here to this section have all wanted to know - it's one of "the basics" here, meaning something that has been covered literally countless times. So each time another person asks the same basic thing, we generally refer them to use the search feature, where all of that info is instantly available. The icon to access it is in the upper right area of your screen here, and it has excellent search filters so you can easily retrieve & read any of those previous posts - you'll enjoy using it, it's your key to instantly accessing all of the info that is here. Just FYI...............

Briefly.............

We can provide you with a traditional "chip," or even better, with a hand-held flash device that gives you multiple tunes and an easier, shorter installation.

The 4.2 V6 has decent power output stock, but is notoriously "weak" below 2500 rpm - with our tuning, that is a thing of the past, the truck will wake up very nicely, all the time, at any throttle position, and at any rpm.

One thing the 4.2 V6 owners have to realize is that the stock injectors run out of capacity pretty quick, and can support only about 240-250 HP - even at just a 250 HP level, you're basically pushing them to upwards of 100% capacity. Thus, we highly recommend that you use a tuning product that is capable of having in-depth custom tuning done and that can be updated in the future if need be with any further custom tuning changes.

Many 4.2 V6 owners, once they realize that there are in fact *plenty* of performance parts available and that without having to spend a ton of money we can easily make the 4.2 V6 capable of dusting off stock 5.4 V8 F-150's, they tend to do a few more mods over time, as their budget allows - thus they usually need to upgrade the fuel injectors so the motor gets enough fuel. Now that is not expensive or hard to do, quite the contrary - but it *does* require custom tuning to compensate for the larger injectors during all phases of vehicle operation when their full capacity is not needed, so the motor isn't "drowning" in fuel the rest of the time. Thus, many 4.2 V6 owners, even those that originally think they'll never do any more mods, usually end up over time doing a few mods and thus needing to upgrade the injectors - thus requiring custom tuning.

For that reason (as well as others), we recommend using
either our Part# 5500, the single program 4-bank custom tuned chip, or Part# 9100 (preferred), which is our 3-program 4-bank custom tuned Micro Tuner - in either of those products we can do any custom tuning both now (even for a bone-stock truck) as well as if you should ever do any mods in the future that would actually *require* custom tuning - like an injector upgrade. You can check this our over on our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com - just clip on "Shop" once the home pages loads, and then go into the Superchip section.

There is also of course our Part# 1100 for those who want the cheapest possible performance program in a single-program chip, but it's important to note that we're not doing any custom tuning in those "single bank" style chips any more, so it's not a product to "carry you into the future," so to speak - it's just the cheapest way to get a "standard" performance tune. Now that *will* certainly help performance, and lots of people have used them over the years, so no doubt you'd be happy with it - but if you ever felt one of our custom tunes by comparison, or ever needed to upgrade the injectors, etc., then you'd be stuck. So go with either #5500 or #9100, is my advice - and of those 2 choices, I'd recommend going with the #9100 - it's the more expensive choice, certainly, but it's by far worth it, if nothing else just for the ability to not be limited to just one program - so you can use any octane fuel you want and still get some performance gain, especially in thee days of high gas prices!

You can read about all the basics, like how our tuning is individual vehicle code-specific as opposed to being "generic," meaning compromised to run on all similar vehicles, and thus the preferred tuning that most F-150 owners are using & all those kinds of basic details by using the search feature here - or by giving us a call at our number listed below. I'd recommend giving is a call so we can cover all of this with you in proper detail - you won't get any kind of hard-sell pitch, etc.

In a custom tune for the 4.2 V6 we can gain as much as 25+ HP, and easily over 30+ lbs,/.ft. of torque - and just the improvement in the below-2500 rpm areas, at *any* throttle position - that alone is worth having a 4.2 V6 tuned.

At any rate, that's just some quick brief info, for further details, options, exact costs, etc., just give us a cal at your convenience & we can cover all of that with you.

Enjoy your weekend,

Quick Reply: Clue Less!!!Need Help With Chips