Will chip help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will chip help?

I have a 2004 Scab with the 5.4 3V V8. Right now at full throttle from a dead stop, I can barely chirp the tires. If I add a custom tuned Superchip, will I be able to light them up? If not, what would it take?

Old 04-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi rockdawg,

Your complaint is the exact same as every other owner of these 2004 3-valve 5.4's is - lack of low rpm power and throttle response.

Yes, we can certainly take care of that for you.

In our own 204 F-150, which is a really heavy configuration (a 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat weighing 6200 lbs. *empty* with a tank of fuel and no driver on board) - like yours, it could not even give a *hint* of turning over a tire off the starting line. Now usually, in any 2003 or earlier truck I tell everyone to forget even trying to use that as any kind of gauge of performance, as it's just not appropriate - these are *trucks* not musclecars. But for 2004 models, because they have the ETC (throttle by wire), it's a very common complaint this lack of low-end response specifically, so we do sometimes use this as a rough yardstick, to so speak.

We'll need to go over this in more detail than by typing it all out, so you'll want to give us a call at our number listed below to go over all the various details. You can also use the search feature here to retrieve & read all my previous posts on this exact topic, as we've covered this exact thing many times here with other 2004 owners.

You can also take a look at this link to get an idea of what we're doing on these 2004's for their tuning specifically: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...no=04P221Flash

Do not expect tuning alone to turn that 5500-6000 lb. truck into a tire-burning monster - that's going to take a more than just a tune, though the tuning is certainly the best place to start in terms of actual bang for the buck. These 2004's are a lot heavier than all previous F-150's regardless of which configuration or model - they are all significantly heavier than the older trucks in the same basic configuration or model level - so they take more mods to get them to light off the tires well from a standstill.

We do have a specific "throttle response" oriented performance package for these 2004 3-valve 5.4 F-150's that is not currently listed on our web site - call us for details on that. On our 2004, it has gone from not being able to turn over a tire to being able to light them up in a nice long pair of black (expensive$$$) streaks of rubber being left behind coming off the line.

Please feel free to call us at our number listed below to go over all of this in proper detail - there are lots of things you'll want to be aware of about your 2004 F-150's performance potential. Don't worry, we can transform how that vehicle responds to your right foot coming off the line, and make it easily capable of lighting up the tires on launch.

All in all, Ford gave us the best F-150 ever in the new 2004 redesign - it just needs some help in the basic performance/throttle response areas, and that is easily done.

Good luck with your 2004, & talk to you soon,

Old 04-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. I'll be giving you a call.

Quick Reply: Will chip help?