giving out samples of my tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
giving out samples of my tuner

Question, If my brother is considering buying a tuner and has asked to try my tuner for a day would that be possible or is it a bad idea. What would I have to do to allow that to happen?

Old 04-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Cool

We need a little more information about what you are wishing to do. The trucks, engine size, etc., what tuner it is or is it a chip. If it is a chip then you probably won't be able to do it since the codes will probably different between trucks. More information to start though.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 04-13-2004, 12:05 PM
It's the 1715 tuner from troyer, I just got it and he is really fired up about getting one himself but wants to test drive it first. My truck is a 4.6 his is a 5.4. It should be compatible I'm just worried about how to prevent my tuner from becoming VIN locked. I might just tell him he is S.O.L if there is a chance of any drama.
Thanks
Matt

Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
want my 2cents?

DON'T do it! The only thing that is the same between those two trucks is the plug in and.....Vin lock? You bet!
Please give Mike a call before you do anything and let your brother get his own.....
IMHO

Last edited by justusinfla; 04-13-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure you can do it but...
If the tuner is used on another vehicle (your truck for instance) you must first return that vehice to the stock program to un-vin-lock the tuner. Then it can be used to program another ECM. Same to get it back. Your bro needs to un-program his truck after testing out the tuner so you can use it again on your truck.
One truck at a time.

Fritz

Old 04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Kinda seems like a pain in the arss. I will come up with an elaborate reason why its not gonna work. Thanks for the 2cents
Matt

Old 04-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Yep, your tuner will work on any 97 - 03 F150 with a V8 (4.6 or 5.4).

Just like was pointed out you just have to upload your factory program back to your truck and then you can run the tune on any other truck as listed above.

It is made this way so one person don't buy the tuner and then give the program to 20 of their friends. One friend at a time can have the program...

Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Matt,

Yes, you can easily do what you want with the 1715 Micro Tuner - you simply have to return your vehicle back to stock first, and *then* it can be used on another vehicle. Then when they are through "sampling" it, the second vehicle is returned back to stock, and then you can reinstall the Superchip tuning back into your truck, so everything is back like it was.

The 1715 unit will work on *any* V8 F-150 from 1996 up thru 2003, as well as the V10 SuperDuty's, the Expeditions, etc. SO it's not a problem that one truck is a 4.6 and the other is a 5.4, that's fine. The Micro Tuner has thousands of programs on board, a set of 3 for each and every different PCM code for that entire model year range of vehicles that it works on - the tuning isn't "generic," it's individual vehicle code-specific - so no matter what truck it's used on, the tunes inside are for *that* truck and it's own computer code (PCM revision).

So by all means, if you want to you certainly can let your brother use it to test it out, and then put it back in your vehicle - just remember to return each vehicle back to stock before transferring the Micro Tuner over to the other vehicle, otherwise the Micro Tuner will be "VIN-locked" and not work on the next vehicle.

Have fun!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:11 AM
thanks *again* Mike...

for my foot in my mouth sandwich
I thought vin lock meant just that....once used on the vehicle, tuning would only work on that original vehicle. And, yes, a SC Micro Tuner 1715 off the shelf would work on both vehicles.......I must have been thinking about the..ohh never mind
Pretty cool you can share though!
to you once again Mike!

Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Appreciate the information Mike and Justin, appreciate the info you gave earlier, just because it was wrong doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated Mark my words when he tries this tuner I will be calling to order one for him without a doubt.
Matt

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Thumbs up and thanks to you too Matt......

I try to keep my typing to a minimum when my knowledge on the subject is also minimal but I tend to err on the side of caution when there's a possibility you'll let the smoke out (i.e. burn it up)and/or there's alot of $ on the line.

It's a good thing I'm a firm believer in what I preach:
Learning is ALWAYS humbling but ALWAYS benefical.
-or-
Lessons learned hardest are lessons learned best (thanks Dad)
-or-
That which does not kill you makes you stronger
-or-
Knowledge is wisdom, wisdom is power

Hope you enjoy your new 1715 as much as I do.
I can't wait to try the no/tow perf setting but the price of Prem is pretty much keeping that "mod" out of the pic for now!
I'm afraid if I tried one tank, I wouldn't go back at any price!

Jeff

Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Jeff,
That's where I am with my new 1715 Micro Tuner. I can't wait much longer though........

Old 04-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Unhappy Don't I know....

just tonight saw 1.99 a gallon for BP Ultimate here. May have to leave the shell off and pretend for a bit longer (trying to get a HP Scanner too....so I can post some pics to back up these wild *ss claims of mine!)
Jeff

Quick Reply: giving out samples of my tuner