9100 custom tuner on the way...really stoked about it

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9100 custom tuner on the way...really stoked about it

i feel like a kid before xmas, i ordered my tuner on monday for my 4.2L. it's going to be great. i just wish i knew when it was going to be here... i know i'm really impatient, but i imagine everyone is when they order theirs... oh... and if mike's reading this maybe he could let me know how many are ahead of mine ( my name's matt curtis)? thanks mike

Last edited by payableondeath6; 04-13-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Wink hmmmm, let's see. Awwwwww yes.......

shameless? check
fidgetting? check
sleepless? check
impatient? check
looking out the window every time a vehicle goes by hoping IT'S HERE??!! check
daydreaming of your "new" ride after install? check

Yep, you ordered it
Good luck and good times coming soon to a truck near YOU!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:31 PM
i hear ya

i ordered one too- i had it shipped to fla while i was there visting- ups said it be there tuesday- i had to leave monday- showed up 1hr after i left - would have had alot of feedback from my 1200 mile trip back to pa- could have used it against a hemi 2500 4x4 quad cab ram i was dueling against up rt 19 in va - sure it would have given me the edge-hopefully i'll see it thursday!

Old 04-13-2004, 11:16 PM
openclasspro
when did you order your tuner (i'm trying to figure out how many days from order to actually getting my baby...lol)? also i'm still looking for mike (i know you're busy... i'm not rushing you...lol). thanks guys... i don't think i'll sleep til i get it... then i won't sleep cause i'll be too busy burnin up my tires

Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Definitely won't sleep tonight

i was wondering where my tuner was... stupid me check your email... i got a shipping notification yesterday and my tuner's going to be here tomorrow... no class tomorrow + 9100 tuner arrival (hopefully the ups guy gets here early) = lotsa burnouts... i mean testing (and not much homework, studying, or dishes done)... oh well. mike and anita rock
oh yeah and i've got about 100 miles left of 89 octane fuel left in the tank... gotta go somewhere today so i can put some 93 in for my max perf. program... oooh i'm stoked

Last edited by payableondeath6; 04-14-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Talking mine too!

mine will be here via overnight usps!
there will be a full report!

Old 04-14-2004, 10:56 PM
good to hear... i'll be waiting on the report... see if ours end up being the same... tomorrow tomorrow

Old 04-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Talking I got it... I got it

Bugged the UPS people until they gave me the driver's location and i met him at one of his drop offs and picked my tuner up... i've run 2 out of the 3 programs... awesome... i love it... don't know if i can peel out though (prolly due to the powertrax unit), but i can definitely tell a huge improvement in low end torque... i'll have more later

Old 04-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi POD6,

That's too funny, Matt - tracking down the UPS driver on his route instead of waiting for him to get to your place, just so you could get it a couple hours quicker?

You got it bad, dude!

Have fun, & be careful - don't get any speeding tickets or be too hard on that higher mile truck!

Enjoy your new custom tuning,

Old 04-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Just a question Mike

Well actually a couple questions, I was wondering which program would be best for me if I ever get around to some light mud running ( tow safe or max)? and i didn't notice a whole lot of firmness in the shifts, i'm not very hard on it b/c of the miles, but I was curious how firm they should be (if i just won't see the firmness b/c i'm not hard on it or what)? thanks a lot, other than a couple questions the tuner is great... haven't tried out the ts limitless capability (don't know if i will since i've got 155k miles), but everything else is just great

Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi POD6,

1.) I'd say use the max performance tune, since you aren't towing, even in the mud.

2.) The shifts aren't supposed to be "hard" at lighter throttle & lower rpms - or even at full-throttle. They will be quicker & firmer, with all the previous delays in shifting & slop removed - but it's not good for the transmission to make it shift "hard" via line pressure alone. Those who want hard shifts need to also do mechanical modifications (like the Factory Tech Valve Body, which we also carry) to increase the transmission's physical ability to flow more fluid *volume* in the same amount of time, instead of having us do it by line pressure alone. In other words, do it by a combination of fluid volume and a bit more pressure, not just sheer line pressure alone, as you quickly reach a point where you're basically trying to drain a swimming pool thru a straw, so to speak, when you do that via line pressure alone - which overworks the front pump.

Sure, I can crank up the line pressure enough to make it jerk your neck on every shift - but that 155,000 mile tranny would last about 2 minutes before spitting out parts, most likely.

For most people, it's just not appropriate for the tranny to shift "hard" at less than high rpms & heavy throttle. But if you want me to do that, I can certainly crank it up more - just don't expect it to last very long, as it's at the end of it's lifespan right now. As I mentioned to you in the note that was inside with your Micro tuner, I didn't tune it "soft" just because it has 155K miles, as you indicated you would likely be rebuilding the powertrain soon - but I do not normally make the tranny shift "hard" via electronic means alone - though I *can* do that, I do not feel it is appropriate, as it's not the best thing for tranny longevity.

It's perfectly safe to have an automatic tranny hit the gears very hard - but exactly *how* you accomplish that makes all the difference in the world in how long it will live - and doing that by electronic line pressure alone is not the ticket to a happy tranny long-term.

If you want it to shift harder, just give me a call - but make sure you put at least 1000 miles on it with the new tuning first, as it takes a little while for the shift characteristics to settle in any time you flash the PCM or disconnect the battery, etc. Also, remember that the more you drive it "easy," the softer the shifts will become via adaptive strategy.

Have fun,

Old 04-15-2004, 08:48 PM
thanks for all the info... i don't really want it to shift hard... i've just heard that it does and was wondering... but it's great... thanks for the answer about the mudding i was curious about being safe on my baby... i bet the ups people thought i was some sort of freak, i was just anxious... oh yeah and if any of you are married check out my thread
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=153886

forgot to say thanks again Mike and Anita for the excellent help and product

Old 04-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor
That's very kind of you to say - thanks, & enjoy your truck!

Quick Reply: 9100 custom tuner on the way...really stoked about it