Pinging with the SuperChip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-1999, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pinging with the SuperChip!!!!

I've been running a SuperChip with my 4.6 about six months now. When the weather got real hot here in KY, and ever since, I've notice alot of detonation present, especially on the uphill climbs. I run Shell 93 octane. Took the chip out, no detonation! Also running Gibson exhaust and K&N Gen.II. Truck actually seems to run better without the chip! It's a YSL2 code. Any comments???

------------------
1997 F-150 SC,4X4 OR,4.6, AODE.BLK. K&N GEN II, GIBSON SUPER TRUCK, SUPERCHIPS, B&M SHIFT CONTROL.

Old 09-28-1999, 06:24 AM
I would talk to Mike T. Superchips can de-tune it a little if neccesary.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 09-28-1999, 01:40 PM
I have the same problem with my Superchip. The first thing Mike will tell you is to run Texaco fuel (yes, there is a difference...I could tell after two tanks an improvement, but the ping was still there around 2200 RPM). I lived with it for a few more tankfuls to make sure, then I sent the chip back to Superchips. They reprogrammed it for the quality difference in fuel (quality of fuel varies from place to place). Now it is much improved. I still get a ping, but only rarely (can't tell you why, but it's only seldom...may have to do with fuel quality still, don't know). But the reprogramming is worth the effort.

------------------
1998 Fire Engine Red F150 Flareside Extended Cab with Snuglid 4.6L with Superchip, Airaid, Dual Flo-Pro exhaust system, etc.

Old 09-28-1999, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear LAPEMPLOYEE,

From your post, it sounds like this just started when the weather got hot. Do I understand this correctly? If not, then I would think that an adjustment to the program may be required, and that is easily done, as another poster mentioned. If this did not start until hot weather set in, then I would try one of the following gasolines, and see if this makes a difference: Texaco, Amoco, or Citgo. Or, it may be that a sensor is not working quite right, just about anything is possible.

At any rate, Superchips can easily make any adjustments that may be required, as you have a Lifetime guarantee. Feel free to give them a call at 888-227-2447 to discuss this with them, and see if they recommend an adjustment to the program.

Good luck, and feel free to give us a call if you wouldlike to discuss this at length for suggestions, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 09-28-1999, 10:39 PM
A lifetime guarantee on Superchips? That is excellent, it is good to see a company stand so firmly behind their product. I wish all manufacturers did that. Some German companies are suing an American company (Lands end, I believe) because they promise a lifetime guarantee. Is that screwed up or what?
-birddogg

Old 09-29-1999, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the responses, think I'll give the different gas a try, although I do like the Shell gas. Been told that it was one of the few out there that has no additives, don't know if that was a sales pitch or not, but it worked on me!!! If that doesn't help, I'll be calling SuperChips! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Pinging with the SuperChip!!!!