Hypertech Power Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-1999, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exactly, it does not yet exist. According to Hypertech, and as of this moment, they are only working on the PPIII unit for the 1998 F-150 only, and only on the 4.6 and 5.4 engines at that. They say that it's going to be 2-3 more months before they actually start shipping, and, it could be longer, it just depends on how long it takes them to complete the product. So they are still doing what they have always done, which is to advance advertise the product, as they have been doing on these units for well over a year now. You can even see them listed in Jeg's and Summit Racing catalogs for the past year or so, but Hypertech has not shipped yet, and it's months away, according to Hypertech. Depending on who you talk to, they say anywhere from 1-3 months, and some say longer, so who knows?

Superchips own similar product is down the road as well. It will be a variant of their Micro Tuner 2001, which is a hand-held portable programming computer that is currently available only for GM applications, just like Hypertech's unit.

That's the latest!

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 10-05-1999).]

Old 10-05-1999, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont care for Hypertech. Superchip all the way!

Old 10-05-1999, 11:39 PM
I am looking at a Hypertech paper wieght right now!!

Worked ok at WOT, which is how I usually drive. I bought the superchip to try it out and never put the HyperTech back.....

Any takers?? I am sure we could work something out.

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Electric Sunroof.

Sound System:
Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Pictures @ [URL=http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Reef/5783/]

Old 10-06-1999, 12:02 AM
Post Hypertech Power Programmer

Check this out:
http://www.performanceprofessor.com/...9/illus_2.html

And this:
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/hppIII.html

Hypertech says they have Power Programmers for '97 and '98 F150's. The one for '99 models hasn't been released yet.

[This message has been edited by DHFerguson (edited 10-05-1999).]

Old 10-06-1999, 12:16 AM
A HYPERthetical product ? Of course!

Old 10-06-1999, 07:09 AM
Talking

Sorry LuvTheC,

I already bought the Tornado paperweight. Anyone else needa paperweight?

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger(Airbox reinstalled, no improvement found with out it.)

Old 10-06-1999, 11:58 AM
Wink

Well, you guys probably do own a bunch of paper weights, because they are yesterday's technology and Mike knows that. However, the Power Programmer III is the new technology and SuperChip knows that too or why else are they developing a similar product. According to HyperTech(this am) they are about to release the PPIII for the 98 Fords and will start development on the 96-97 right after (timing about par with SuperChip) Why is this new product better? Check Car & Driver Mag for Oct and look closely at the RPMs vs Hp& Torque. Custom programming!!

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-1999, 01:09 PM
Question

Mike T.,
Are you saying that the PPIII will NOT change the fuel curves at part throttle? Are you saying that the Superchips, Inc will NOT change the fuel curves at part throttle also?

Thanks for the info and clarification.

Old 10-06-1999, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Spaceace,

That's one of the most important differences between Superchips and other chipmakers like Hypertech, JET, etc. Hypertech only adds power at wide-open throttle. They *might* make some changes to the fuel curve on part-throttle to adjust for the different burn rate of premium gasoline, but no additional power is available on part-throttle with the Hypertech unit, and that is also the case with the vast majority of other chipmakers. Superchips tests all major competitors products, and one of the things they look very closely for is just how much power is actually gained, and whether or not anyone else addresses part-throttle tuning. Dinan is one of the few that will do part-throttle work, and they are generally a decent chipmaker, though very expensive.

FYI, the reason why other chipmakers only change WOT performance is, there is what I call a little-known "loophole" in the emissions laws, which is, even for a brand new vehicle that just rolled off the assembly line, during WOT (wide-open throttle) operation, thre are no emissions standards that have to be met. So if you as a chipmaker only change WOT parameters, then you reduce your R&D costs *drastically*, as you don't have to do EPA certification, etc. So you can save a lot of money, but it doesn't help driveability.

Superchips programs add power at WOT of course, but more importantly, they add power at all throttle positions, from 1000 rpm on up. Driveability improvement is Superchips #1 priority, along with them being adamant about not making the customer use other devices or gimmicks to make their products, work, like abnormally low temperature thermostats, etc.

I hope that answers your question,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 10-06-1999).]

Old 10-06-1999, 01:34 PM
Mike T.,

Not quite. I was referencing the new hand held products.

Thanks

Old 10-06-1999, 02:30 PM
Talking

OK Dr. Mike....let's just forget the speedometer adjustments etc and just address the HP & Torque issue.....can you, in 25 words or less, explain the curve differences in the Chip Comparison article in Oct issue of Car & Driver.....the new Chevy 5.3L (close to Ford's) and the Ford Cougar are certainly interesting !!! The former used a PPIII and the later used a SuperChip. Too bad SuperChip did'nt pick a Ford F150....why?

Old 10-06-1999, 04:48 PM
Talking

Chevy paid Ford not to so Ford would not embarrass them

Old 10-06-1999, 06:07 PM
Cool

OK Guys & Gals. Let level heads prevail!! I have owned BOTH chips. When a custom programmer comes out for my truck and it has been time tested and proven I will buy that also. Buy then my truck will be blown. Will I need a custom, CUSTOM Power Programmer??

As of right now. I can state, from experience, that the Superchip is the better chip.......

BTW, chuck007 I believe there was a previous thread regarding the review you speak of.

Be well,
Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Electric Sunroof, Super White Headlights. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Sound System:
Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear.

http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/reef/5783/

Old 10-07-1999, 12:15 AM
chuck007,

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Hypertech chip is yesterdays technology. It does provide a performance gain as promised. The Superchip just seems to do it better!?

I too was Holding out for the Power Pragrammer from Hypertech. Heard about it a year ago. Six months ago I called them again and they told me it was another 2-3 months away. I then bought the SuperChip. If and when it does come out. I will probaly buy it. However, it will not make my Superchip obsolete. I'm sure I will be able to sell it!!

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Electric Sunroof. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Sound System:
Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear.
Photos @ <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Reef/5783/
" TARGET=_blank>www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Reef/5783/
</A>

[This message has been edited by LuvTheC (edited 10-06-1999).]

Old 10-07-1999, 12:40 AM
Chuck007 said "According to HyperTech(this am) they are about to release the PPIII..."

For the last year or better the manufacturer has said "we are about to release the PPIII for the __________(<-----add your model here)They've been saying it so long, the marketing department is starting to believe it.
Put up or shut up. Superchips has obviously done that.

Welcome Chuck007

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 10-06-1999).]

Quick Reply: Hypertech Power Programmer