Superchip with 4.6 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superchip with 4.6 5speed

Hey guys/girls. I'm ready to do a chip, I think. I'm already running 93 with a K&N and a flowmaster, I want more. First, will the chip give me the same performance gains in a 5 speed that would be had in an auto? The reason I ask is that so many people say that the only thing they notice is difference in shift points. If that's the case, I'll never see a difference. I'd like to have a bit more jump off the line. What kind of numbers are we talking about both in performance gains and in price??? Anyone with a 5speed and a chip? I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks!
Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Leer Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series, Airbox mods, K&N, Eclipse Stereo.

Old 10-04-1999, 09:32 PM
I've got the v6 with a 5 speed and I noticed more low end grunt for pulling out in second gear and general drivability imporvements anytime the air conditioner is on. IMHO, it was well worth the cost for the v6 and probably would be also for the v8.

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe. Soon.

Old 10-05-1999, 07:50 AM
Thumbs up

DU302: My truck is similar to yours and we both have 3.55 w/LS so I can tell you that the Superchip will not have you chirping the tires. These trucks are just to heavy and the LS keeps it from spinning. That actually is a plus because non spinning gets that beast moving a lot quicker I've found with the chip that the truck accelerates a lot faster. I can wind the gears out farther. I found that I had to start watching my speedometer because I would end up going WAY over the speed limit and still had two gears to go!! Also if you need to tow something, the truck has more "umph" to it. I've never had a need to check out the speed limiter or drive over 100mph but I could if I "needed" to. I've been reading some of the other's post here about not see/feeling any improvements w/chip, I don't understand it because I saw/felt imediate response. Maybe it has to do with already having a K&N filter and the flowmaster already on when I added the chip. So in that you are adding the mods the same way I did. If you do get the chip, do post what you think of it.
The HP and torque you get is the same as the automatics get, Mike will have to give you the numbers, as I never remember them. And the price, I think the chip sells for about $265 but Mike will also cut you a deal because you're a member here

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 10-05-1999).]

Old 10-05-1999, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear DU302,

The gains with the Superchip are the same for both automatics and manuals, and on the 4.6 like you have it will add 26 horsepower and 40 lbs./ft. of torque. So regardless of transmission type, the actual power gains are the same. And, as you can see from the other responses, they do in fact work very well on either transmission type. Now what is true is that the automatics usually will see a little bit more of a reduction in 1/4 mile times, and this is due to the improved transmission tuning, I.E., increased firmness and the removal of the spark retard right after the upshift. So figure that the automatics will knock another 1-2 tenths of a second off their 1/4 mile times than the manuals will, but both manuals and automatics gain the same power increase, in terms of peak horsepower gained.

Please feel free to give us a shout, either in email or on the phone, for more detailed information, questions, etc. Our contact info is below for your convenience.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 10-06-1999, 05:30 PM
Mike,

The additional 26 horsepower...is that including the jump I would get from using 93 as well as using the K&N, or is the 26 including the k&n and 93? I'm running 93 as of right now. Also, what is the price for one of these bad boys? Thanks for your time.

Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Leer Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series, Airbox mods, K&N, Eclipse Stereo.

Old 10-06-1999, 10:21 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
DU302,

I had a 1997 4x4 SC 4.6 w/ 5spd. Mike programmed a chip with the speed limiter removed and the rev limiter pushed up to 6500 rpm. I play in the sand with mine and to climb a dune you need torque to keep the tires turning. Without the chip I had to start in 2nd gear and shift to 3rd then back to 2nd near the top of the hill. Miss a shift and you stop and have to back down. With the chip I would start in 3rd and leave it there. I actually had to let up near the top. You will notice the chip ( hen driving a stick) when you are under load. Where you some times had to down shift you will be able to stay in a higher gear. After a while you get used to the chip and think it is no longer there. Pull it and you will quickly realize that it was there. Try it, you get 30 days to return it if it doesn't suit you. BTW the first thing I do when I pick up my 00 is to call Mike from my cell phone with the computer code.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
On Order: 00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
using: Wife'S 99 Explorer till arrival

Old 10-07-1999, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear DU302,

That is the gain from the Superchip by itself. As far as pricing, we have just lowered pricing again for F150online participants such as yourself, so please contact us privately for that info, our email address and our phone number are below for your convenience. It carries a list price of $265 plus shipping, but our price is far below that, so please contact us at your convenience.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Superchip with 4.6 5speed