engine knock with cooler weather????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post engine knock with cooler weather????

Is anyone experiencing engine knock, possibly due to cooler weather, with the chip? I had to send my chip in to be reprogrammed because it originally caused knocking in the 3200-3500 rpm range. Got it back and things worked okay, but our weather started cooling down into the 50's at night. Now I notice substantial knocking in the mornings and evenings. Just curious.

Old 10-25-1999, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Belvadere,

Usually the effect of cooler weather is to *reduce* any tendency to detonate, not to increase it. So it's usually just the opposite. However, what may have happened is that your area could have just made it's changeover to reformulated gasoline for the winter, as that happens in a lot of areas anywhere between October 1st and November 1st. As reformulated gasolines have lower BTU content, there is less energy in each gallon of gas, so you can get about 8%-10% worse gas mileage using reformulated fuels. It may be that this, combined with cooler denser air, is creating a condition in your combustion chamber where with the increased oxygen content from the cooler denser air, combined with a lower energy content gasoline, is creating this behavior.

I would check to see if your gas station has switched fuels lately, or if this is just one bad tank of gasoline. If it's something that is going to stay, like reformulated gasoline, then you may need to have your Superchip adjusted again to compensate for this. Feel free to give me a call to discuss this, or just talk directly to Superchips if you like at 888-227-2447. I got your email and responded to it too.

Please keep in touch, and let me know if this is reformulated gas, or if you need any assistance with this, ok?

All the best,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 10-26-1999).]

Old 10-25-1999, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same experience and this is the 3rd tank in a row. It must be this Dallas gas. I'm going to have to get a reprogram as well.

------------------
Daddy's Toy: '98 Black Lariat SC Stepside
4.6,black Weston Nerfs,Rhino liner,Superchip,Gibson 3" single,AirRaid

Old 10-27-1999, 12:12 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear MDaily,

We have a few other customers in that area that have had that problem. It's funny, it only seems to affect about 5%-10% of our customers there in the DFW area, and the rest, 90%-95%, have no problems. But you aren't the only one, just so you know. What I would suggest is that you identify when you hear the pinging, is it only on WOT (wide-open throttle), or do you get it on part-throttle too, what rpm range does it happen at, etc., that sort of thing, and Superchips can easily make that adjustment for you.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: engine knock with cooler weather????