Where's the chip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-1999, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where's the chip?

Bought my truck used. How do I know if it has a chip? If the question's dumb, tell me and I'll delete it. Thanks

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4 "ORP" 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

Old 10-26-1999, 03:48 PM
MOVEOVER-

Step on the accelerator. If your head jerks back and your wheels start to spin, you have a chip!

Seriously, look at the end of the computer that points away from the firewall. If there is a black plastic, flush fitting rectangular ‘plug’ there, you don’t have a chip. When a chip is installed, this ‘plug’ is removed and the chip is inserted over the end of the computer board inside. The chip will be in a small, flat container (Superchips are blue) that covers the hole left by the ‘plug’.

The computer is located up under the dashboard at the far right end. Look above the right kick panel and you should see a silver box about 2” x 6” x 8” held in with a black clip. The clip on my computer covered the black ‘plug’ and had to be relocated when I installed my Superchip.

------------------
'99 Black Lightning #1212 5/12/99

Old 10-26-1999, 04:34 PM
No question here is dumb. Its dumb not to ask though.

Old 10-26-1999, 05:16 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

I've asked nine dumb questions.
Six times I got replies.
Three times I got booted off and was told never to come back.

What IS the limit for dumb questions?
Please don't tell me this one counts.

Old 10-26-1999, 05:23 PM
I've allready asked a bunch, and I even got some people pretty ticked, but I keep on commin back for more!

Old 10-26-1999, 06:13 PM
Some of us get to answer our own dumb questions. That way we get the answer that sounds best.

------------------
97 F-150,4.6, Reg Cab, Flareside, Air Aid Kit, TransGo Shift Kit,
Superchips, Gibson Single Cat Back, ******* Bed Cover,
EGR Bug Shield, XL Full Length Running Boards,
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 10-26-1999, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Moveover,

DHFerguson's reply was right on the money! His description of the location of the computer, and the black clip, are exactly what to look for.

Another point would be if it pings like crazy if you use regular gas 87 octane. Performance chips require premium gas, so if your truck has an appetite for premium, that would be one clue. Looking on the back of the computer as DH described is the quick way to know for sure.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-1999, 10:08 PM
DHFerguson, thanks for the info. I just checked; no chip.

Superchips Distributor, I would've bet money (almost) that I had one. It has too much bottom end torque. Michelin LTX M/S Tires spin freely even when dry. Pings a lot on reg and 92 oops... 89 octane. Haven't tried premium yet. Avg 13mpg. Thanks though.

------------------
White 97 XLT SC 4.6, 4X4 "ORP" 3.55ls, tow pkg, long bed, Rhino liner, Owens running boards

[This message has been edited by MOVEOVER (edited 10-28-1999).]

Old 10-27-1999, 06:55 PM

The '97 with the 4.6L was an interesting truck. Pressing on the gas 1/4 way was like pressing down 1/2 way on other trucks. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you have limited slip and turning after a stop.

Old 10-28-1999, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear MOVEOVER,

Hmm, 92 octane *is* premium, in this country at least. If you are pinging now using 92 octane, then something may need to be looked at, as that shouldn't happen anytime with the stock programming! Sometimes as these vehicles accumulate miles, their appetite for octane will increase. Dealership service departments take care of this by removing deposits in the combustion chamber using various techniques.

For example, if "dirty" gas was used in this vehicle before you bought it, then it could have accumulated significant combustion chamber deposits. Those deposits lessen free space in the combustion chamber, and can increase the effective compression ratio, thus increasing it's appetite for higher octane fuel. Also, deposits can become red-hot, and in that way contribute to pre-ignition from uncontrolled combustion from these hot spots.

If you mean that it pings on regular and mid-grade octane, but goes away using 92, or you have not yet tried 92 or higher octane, then that's a bit different from what I'm commenting on above, and something that may well be just a quirk of your particular truck and it's computer code, that it just has a bit of an appetite for octane.

One other thought occurred to me, and that is, it could be that is *does* have some type of aftermarket device in it affecting your timing. JET and a couple other companies make in-line devices that are data interceptors, they intercept incoming sensor data and alter it, to trick the computer into thinking it's colder outside than it really is, and that can add spark advance and cause detonation on lower octane fuels. These types of devices install inline with the computer's wiring harness, on the *FRONT* of the computer. You can determine this by looking under the hood, behind the battery. The computer's wiring harness starts right there, and the devices I'm talking about install in between the wiring harness, and the front of the computer. The computer is mounted so that most of it is in the cabin above the passenge kick panel, but the first inch or two protrudes thru the firewall, so it can connect to it's wiring harness. So have a look at the front of the computer too, to make sure you don't have one of those devices installed.

Let us know if you find anything there,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 10-28-1999, 04:25 PM
Mike beat me to the punch on that one, although superchips is the best chip to own, imho, there are others and they are connected on the front.

Also, if you are interested in sooping up your truck, for around 5 dollars, you can get this new device, it's very very thin, no more then about the width of a piece of paper, and it attaches to any surface on your vehicle. The principal is quite extraordinary, and just goes to show to what length people will go to get that extra aerodynamic shape which saves fuel and gives you extra speed on the top part of the acceleration curve. Of course, I am referring to your www.f150online.com stickers available in the online store.

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
3.73, 4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTO,
139wb, Medium Red Tor.,
Rhino, K&N, BugGuard,
RainGuards, Superchip
f150online sticker!!! GET ONE NOW!

Old 10-28-1999, 06:58 PM
Dennis, well said. You're exactly right.
Mike, sorry, I meant to say 89 octane. Haven't tried premium yet. I looked, and didn't find anything in line with the battery.
Cloaker, I'll try one of those go-faster stickers soon. Besides, I want everyone to know about F-150 Online!!......Joe

Old 10-29-1999, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear MOVEOVER,

Not inline with the battery.

Inline between the computer, and it's wiring harness. The "front" of the wiring harness starts right behind the battery, and attaches to the front of the computer, which protrudes thru the firewall and into the engine compartment just an inch or so, so it can connect to it's harness. The type of device I'm speaking of will install by removing the wiring harness from the front of the computer (by loosening the single 10mm bolt in the middle of the front of the wiring harness until you can disconnect it from the front of the computer), and then the inline device installs in between the computer, and the wiring harness.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Where's the chip?