Did you hear the news about Superchips, Inc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-1999, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Did you hear the news about Superchips, Inc?

Now that I got your attention, here's the "news". For the doubters...

This week was very trying on my patience. I had a problem that only Superchips, Inc could help me with.
I mailed my computer and module to them at 1:20PM Tuesday. After I mailed it, I was informed that they did not have to help me, in the manner that I expected. I was irate to say the least.
It's back in the truck at 9:40 am Thursday.

My point, Superchips, Inc went far beyond my expectations for customer service. They stand behind thier products.
Mike Troyer also went out of his way to answer an email with my concerns. Why is that unusual? I BOUGHT NOTHING FROM HIM !!!! I must admit, I felt very ill, after reading the Mike's response. Here was a guy going out of his way to help, and I could have caused all of my own problems.

I don't even care anymore if the chip doesn't make any HP or Torque. I'd pay the money just for the customer service. OK... maybe not full MSRP.

FACT: By the way, I was just out in the land yacht. The shifts are noticeable and the flat spot in the powerband seems to be gone where I really had to apply the gas before. I live in mountainous PA.
MYTH: I just buried a 4.6L Cobra from a dead stop. I smoked the tires the whole 2 blocks(uphill). I would have done better if I had not had the trailer loaded up with fire wood.

WANTED A Superchips decal. Big or small. I burned my candle at both ends this time, so I won't ask them for another.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip(Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?)

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 10-28-1999).]

Old 10-28-1999, 11:52 AM
Just curious, in what manner had you expected them to help (which they refused?)

--Steve

------------------
1998 F-150 Super Cab XLT, 4x4, SWB, StyleSide, 5.4L, E40D Automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Med Graphite Cloth Captain's Chairs, P255/70R-16 OWL AT Tires, 3.55 LS Axle, Cab Steps, Tow Pkg, Power Color-Keyed Mirrors, Fog Lights, Cast Aluminum Wheels, 6-Disc CD Changer. Aftermarket: Pendaliner SR, Keyless Entry, Delta Deep Aluminum Toolbox, Gibson Swept Side Stainless Steel Exhaust, Airaid FIPK, Custom CB and Amateur Radio Installation. See me and my truck at http://bluecrab.richmond.edu/crab-1.htm

Old 10-28-1999, 11:57 AM
They went BEYOND my expectations, but they did not have to. My expectations were to honor thier warranty blindly.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip(Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?)

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 10-28-1999).]

Old 10-28-1999, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Spaceace,

What a neat post! And just to fill in everyone, here was Spaceace's situation: he bought a used Superchip from someone here on the message boards who traded in their vehicle. The Lifetime guarantee on Superchips is only to the original owner, and Superchips is under no obligation to honor warranty claims made by the 2nd, 3rd, or any subsequent owners, and that I think was the basic issue. What the problem was, was that when Spaceace installed the MER3 code Superchip, his vehicle wouldn't start, probably due to it having been reflashed to a different code, I'm guessing.

The bottom line is, Superchips took care of him, though they were not obligated to do so. And I'm glad to hear it, of course!

I always encourage prople to buy the used Superchips that come up for sale here every month or so when another F150online participant trades in their vehicle on a new one. It's an excellent way to save a few bucks, and so far, everybody has had good results doing this. So I think this speaks well for everyone thinking about picking up on one of these bargains when they come along.

I'm just glad that everything worked out for you, Spaceace.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 10-28-1999, 02:12 PM
Mike guessed-
"It could be a bad module, as it is possible in shipping to have it get zapped with static electricity. It's rare, but it can happen."
Must have been. The module was replaced in kind, MER3.

Old 10-30-1999, 08:10 PM
I have a 1998 XLT Supercab with a 5.4, 3.55 Unlimited slipper rear, with 15,000 miles on it and I was wondering? Is the chip the only way to change the timing on this beast so that I dont have to burn this high priced gas?

You see, I try to burn 87 octane from Race Track here in Houston Texas at $1.08 a gallon but I can hear the light pinging going on under the hood when I'm lightly accelerating. So I have been blending the 94 octane from Texaco @ $1.38 per gallon when I hear it pinging. I thought that this truck was designed to burn 87 octane? It is a bone stock truck no superchip or mods? What do you do to save money on this? I would perfer to spend $1.08 per gallon but what can you do? My last vehicle I just set the timing back 2-4 degrees and end of problem.

Old 11-01-1999, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Kraig,

I would steer clear of the off-brands of gas, as they generally have lower BTU (energy) content, and some of their octane ratings can be questionable. Yes, every now and then you can get lucky, and find good quality gas at a no-name, but it isn't often.

Texaco, Amoco, and Citgo generally tend to be among the better gasolines available, and they are my 3 favorites, in that order. Exxon, Chevron, BP and no-names I stay away from, either due to low energy content, or in the case of BP, it's just a very dirty fuel. BP was recently bought out, so maybe they will improve in the future.

As far as adjusting the timing on your 1998 Ford F-150, it's not possible, as they don't have distributors that we can turn to set the initial spark lead anymore, so a "chip" is basically the only way to do this. You may also have what Ford calls an "octane shorting bar" under the hood, that you can remove if your vehicle pings using the factory programming on regular fuel. This will retard timing, and of course reduce power accordingly, but that might be enough change to stop the pinging on 87.

Any performance chip is going to require the use of premium gasoline. In the case of the Superchip, most people see an improvement in their gas mileage when cruising on the highway, due to the increased spark advance used on part-throttle. If you drive with a heavy right foot, or tow heavy loads, etc., you may not see any improvment in gas mileage, as again, it's merely a by-product of the optimized spark curves being used on part-throttle. F150online participants report anywhere from 1.5 to as much as 3.5 more mpg, with the average being around 2 more mpg when cruising in the V-8 F-150's.

Where we are in Virginia, gas prices are only 10-12 cents a gallon higher for premium, so between that and the increased gas mileage we're getting, we actually spend less money for gas using the Superchip. I want to point out that this is about the best possible result you could hope for, and not everyone will get those kinds of results, of course! Some people see no gain in mileage, and enjoy the performance gain the Superchip gives.

You can probably cure your pinging just by using a good quality gasoline, and if not, then try removing the octane shorting bar. Or, if you are still under warranty, take it into your dealer and have them check it out if using a good gas (like Texaco, Amoco, etc.) in 87 octane still causes pinging.

There are some 1998 4.6 F-160's, with the computer code FOU1, that are more prone to pinging than other codes. Take a look in your passenger door frame, near the door hinges, for a sticker with 3 letters and a number on it, and that will be your vehicle's computer code. If it's FOU1, you'll probably need to use 89 octane to stop the pinging, as that code is prone to pinging if fuel quality isn't up to snuff, which can happen with the "no-name" brands sometimes.

Best of luck, and do let us know if you find the cause of your pinging, or if using a different brand of fuel eliminates it.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Did you hear the news about Superchips, Inc?