Increased performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1999, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Increased performance?

I've been looking at this site on and off for a week and learned a lot of information. I had no idea a chip replacement could noticeably increase performance. I don't drive with a heavy foot and don't beat on my $25,000 truck, could I notice a difference? The ad from one of the web's sponsors says 45 lbs of torque increase and 10 - 15 % hp increase by adding their superchip. Does this gain come by increasing the rev limits and gasoline comsumption? Is the engines lifespan shortened also? I have a 99 4x2 F150 5.4.

Old 11-04-1999, 11:39 AM
You will notice a difference without a heavy foot because gas mileage goes up, and will shift better. It doesnt shorten engine life, and the tranny lasts longer. It removes the rev limiter and top speed limiter, but doesnt eat more fuel.

To increase performance we made a number of changes to the stock program.
To begin with we changed the stock program to run on high-octane fuel. In order to correspond with the high octane we altered the fuel curve to run leaner due to premium gas burning slower. With these changes alone the vehicle gave an immediate response. Next to give more power in the bottom and mid range where it was needed most, the ignition curves were altered every 400RPM from idle to full throttle. This improved performance on the hills, off the line and when towing. We then altered the transmission for firmness and shift points to give a little more power. We took a close look at the driveability of the vehicle and made some changes throughout to make driving these vehicles even more enjoyable.

By making all these changes to the stock program, the Superchips program offers you the extra power you need. By just adding a Superchips module we have managed to give these vehicles an increase in horsepower of 10%-15% and between 12%-17% in torque. The Superchips program has also improved driveability making them a delight to drive. All the vehicles have a top speed cut-off. If you would like the cut off moved our technicians have the capability of moving it to a higher mph if the original cut-off point can be found. There are unlimited benefits to buying a Superchips module for your vehicle. These large trucks have a significant amount of power but because of the limits set by the manufacturer the performance leaves a lot to be desired when accelerating and is lacking when towing or on a hill. The extra HP and torque provided by a Superchips module will aid you whether you are making your truck into a performance vehicle or whether you are just tired of being left behind and want a highly responsive truck that can handle well in the fast lane.

The greatest thing about a Superchips module is the ease in which you can gain this extra power. Our module is small, durable and plugs snugly into the back of your trucks computer that can be easily located. Once plugged in it over rides the computers stock program, if you need to go back to stock for any reason simply unplug the Superchips module and the stock program will run again. You do not need to take your vehicle to a mechanic or dealer, so there is no extra installation costs and installing a Superchips module won't take up a chunk of your time, you probably wont even get your hands dirty.
It will add 28hp and almost 50ft-lbs of torque.

------------------
Fast46Triton

1999 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter

Old 11-04-1999, 11:42 AM
I have a 98 4x2 4.6 with a Superchip. I don't romp and stomp on my truck (too much). I get about 18.5 mpg primarily driving freeways. The one thing I notice about driving with the chip is the improved transmission shifting. That and the seemingly effortless way that the truck rolls away from a dead stop.

Psycho, there's a 30-day money back guarantee on the chip - what have you got to lose other than a few tanks of premium fuel?

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, K&N, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)

Old 11-04-1999, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Dan,

Welcome to F150online!

The Superchip represents a 10%-12% increase in peak horsepower in thee vehicles, and that isn't enough to cause any reduction in powertrain component life. Nor will it harm your new vehicle warranty. The Superchip works *all* the time, regardless of throttle position, so you will have more power available all the time, whether you're doing 25 in a residential zone, or at the drag strip. The Superchip modifies both WOT (wide-open throttle) and part-throttle performance parameters, so you get improved driveability, a smoother engine, more power, and most people actually see a little bit better gas mileage. FOr example, most of the V-8 F-150's see about 1.5 to 2 more mpg when cruising on the highway at a steady speed. I want to point out that your gas mileage will still depend on all the same factors that affected it before the Superchip; the only difference is, because of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle, the *potential* for better gas mileage is there, and that is perhaps the best way to accurately describe what you can expect. It's merely a by-product of the increased spark advance, so for most people, there is a bit of an improvement in gas mileage when cruising in the F-150's. Some people's driving habits or load conditions prevent them from seeing any improvment in gas mileage, so for them, it's the power gain and improved automatic transmission shift characteristics, which tend to help extend the life of the automatics, by reducing slippage during upshifts.

The Superchip represents the single best "bang-for-the-buck" power gainer you can install on most computer controlled vehicles, and that is why it's so popular with F150 owners. It's backed by a Lifetime guarantee as well, so it's a great deal for most people.

We have customers who have over 130,000 miles in F-150's using the Superchip, and we have a number of Ford Powerstroke diesel owners who have over 200,000 miles and more on their diesel Superchips.

The Superchip isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it *is* a great value for the money.

Please feel free to give us a shout if you'd like further details, our number and email address is below.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-04-1999).]

Old 11-04-1999, 07:30 PM
Smile

I have yet to read one negative post about the superchip.All my questions are answered except one. My 5.4 along with most others pings slightly on 87 octane, will the chip change the octane requirement or have no effect. Thanks for all the information, I feel like Tim "The Tool man" in saying the best power is more power!

Old 11-04-1999, 07:39 PM
Lightbulb

Forget the previous post my son did not read any of the answers supplied by you all before he answered. The performance increase is well worth a couple of hundred dollars, I'll let you know how it it works out.

Quick Reply: Increased performance?