Mechanical shift kit and Super Chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-1999, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mechanical shift kit and Super Chip

Greetings,
I have a 98 4x2, 4.6, w/AOD tranny. A few months ago I had a reputable transmission shop install a Transgo AOD-HP Reprogramming Kit. The builder worked closely with the techs at Transgo in determining that the kit would work in the 98 version of the AODE (although the kit specifies 83-93). The kit is strictly mechanical. I can attest to the performance increase and I'm very pleased with the results. Although, I have voided the warranty . But, that's OK! ;-}

I'm thinking about a Super Chip, and was wondering if anyone has chipped a truck
with a mechanical shift kit installed. I get real quick, firm shifts now. There's really
no slamming of the gears, and from what I know (which is very little about tranny's) is that the kit basically improves the durability through the replacement of some valves, springs, and pistons within the tranny, which in turn, firms up and quickens the shifts. I get real smooth kick downs, as well.

I guess I could try mailing Super Chips. But, last time I tried to ask them a question I got a boiler plate response/promo. Anyone have any thoughts? Appreciate any input. Thanks.

------------------
What does the guy who dies with the most toys really win?

------------------

Old 11-04-1999, 11:56 AM
Hang in here for a while - Mike Troyer (our own resident superchips distributor) will be along and will wow you with facts and data. I would imagine that superchips could program you a chip that left the trans shift points at the factory setting.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, K&N, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)

Old 11-04-1999, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Dan,

I myself am using the Transgo shift kit along with a Superchip in my Lincoln Mark 8, with excellent results! I have nice smooth upshifts on light throttle, so it doesn't spoil the character of the vehicle when you're driving conservatively, and then as I give it more and more throttle, the shifts firm up progressively. We also have dozens of customers with late-model F-150's doing the exact same thing, so they work very well together.

Perhaps what should be rememberd with the Superchip is that in these F-150's, it's just as much a longevity aid as it is a performance mod. In other words, Superchips didn't set out to make the upshifts "tire-chirpers", though they sometiems will on the 1999 5.4's, due to the additional power. The electronic shift delay is removed, which can only be done thru programming, and also the power-robbing spark retard during and after heavy throttle upshifts is removed, another item that can only be done thru programming, and then finally, the line pressure is increased, which is exactly what the Transgo shift kit does. The Superchip raises it by only about 20%, so it works well with Transgo shift kits installed on either of the first 2 settings. I installed my Transgo in the "Police/Taxi" mode. So with the Superchip, you will have noticeably improved acceleration, not only from the obvious power gain, but from the removal of the shift delay and the spark retard. Also, should you feel that your upshifts are too stiff at any time, we can easily adjust that for you to suit your tastes with the Transgo kit.

Please feel free to contact us at our number listed in my signature line, if you'd like to get more details, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-04-1999, 10:01 PM
See? I told you he'd be by. What a guy....

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the bells & whistles except for leather seats. Lund Deflector, K&N, Pentaliner S/R, Window tint, factory side-steps, Infiniti component speakers, Superchip. Tom in Tacoma (Washington not Toyota)

Old 11-05-1999, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the insight, Mike.

Everything sounds good as far as compatabilility. Little concerned about the wear on the tranny though, with the increased stress. Any track record using both mods? We all know Ford is not notorious for durable trannys.

Although, there was noticable improvement in the crispness and holding capabilities with the TransGo. I could withstand a little more firmness, and to be honest, was expecting a little more. Not to worried about the "Mom and Pop" shifts. I like to get around pretty good. But, I was not aware there were different settings that could be used with the TransGo kit. I don't know how mine was set. I could call the builder and ask about that, if it's critical.

In the event the shifts were a too firm with the chip, you can adjust (through the chip), to soften the shifts? Or, is that done through the shift kit? I really don't want to have the tranny torn apart again.

Basically, I'm looking more for the power increase. So, it sounds like I'll get that, plus a slight improvement in shift firmness. That being the case, where can I get a chip? And, what's the next step?

Thanks again for the input.

Oh, and thanks Tom in Tacoma.

------------------

Old 11-05-1999, 08:56 AM
Thumbs up

Dan K: your next step is to e-mail Mike T.(mtroyer@compuserve.com) I think the superchip is about $265 but because you're a member here, YOU get a discount

Old 11-05-1999, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the TransGo Shift Kit and the Superchips and think it is great. My TransGo kit was the new/improved model (I guess) because they dropped the three option changes. Now it is install everything in the box. You should have seen my trying to stuff that video into the trans pan. Seriously, the installation went pretty good but it is a messy job. I took an old T-V and VCR out to my garage and played the video that came with the kit many times. I think I almost wore out the rewind switch.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, 4.6, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 11-05-1999, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Dan,

Yes, if you find the upshifts *too* harsh, your Superchip can easily be adjusted, no problem. That's the nice thing about the flash design, they can always be updated for your vehicle.

As TEllenberger quite rightly pointed out, the newer Transgo shift kits (we installed mine in April of this year) have only one setting, whereas the older kits like mine had 3 choices, and I didn't know which kit you had, as some are still on shelves with the older design like mine.

I don't think you'll have a problem, Dan. As a general and loose rule of thumb, the harder an automatic hits the gears, the longer it will live, as there is less slippage. Automatics use a fluid coupling to the engine, which is the torque converter. So you automatically have a certain amount of slippage built in, and anything you can do (within reason, like anything else of course) to reduce slippage helps to extend the service life of the transmission, in general terms. If you can keep your transmission fluid temp at 200 degrees or lower, by using an auxilliary cooler, that too will help extend it's life, if you don't already have on on your truck. They're very cheap, and great insurance.

Now as far as your next step, please contact me either via email, or at our number listed below in my signature line. We'll be happy to help you get your new Superchip on it's way!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Mechanical shift kit and Super Chip