Voided warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-1999, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Voided warranty

This horse has been beaten to death far too many times, but I am just curious. I asked my dealer what would happen to my warranty if I would've Superchipped my V-6, and without a hesitation he said VOID. Well, next time, should I say without hesitation the MM act or will that be throwing fuel in a burning flame? Why do my dealer like to scare me into not adding aftermarket parts? I was only inquiring about helper springs before when they said the same thing, VOID! Now with an inquiry on the Superchip again they would say void. If say I Superchip the truck and then something happens and the dealer has to fix it under warranty only to find the Superchip and deny me the warranty work, should I threaten them to a court case with the MM act as my backup?

Leo dC

Old 11-08-1999, 06:26 AM
Personally...I would start with a new dealer. This guy already has you marked. Even if he can't prove anything, your gonna always wonder, am I gonna have to fight.

Unless you have a 99 or older(correct me if I am wrong) vehicle, you will not be able to clear any codes from the computer without having a diagnostic machine. The 99.5 and 2000 had a hard memory change.

I carry three sockets with me at all times just for removing the chip. Disconnect the battery, 4 bolts for the computer, 2 minutes and my chip is out. Lot's of time if your waiting for the hook.

Stand by here...you'll get more useful information.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, FlowmasterDelta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip(Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?)

www.angelfire.com/pa3/spaceace/index.html

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-08-1999, 10:11 AM
Exclamation

you should speak to Mike T. He clearly says that the superchip will not void the warranty and that Ford itself has hired superchips in the past to help them do their own computer coding!

Besides, if you think its an issue, and if you have a 97 or higher f150, when you install the chip, and the computer is out of the bracket which holds it, straighten out the lip which the computer rests on and then, by simply pulling out the computer chip, unhooking your battery, turning on your headlights with battery out, plug battery back in and voila! chip gone, chip program gone. if the dealer says anything, just say "thats the way YOU sold it to me!" haha

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
3.73, 4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTO,
139wb, Medium Red Tor.,
Rhino, K&N, BugGuard,
RainGuards, Superchip, Soft Tonneau
f150online sticker!!! GET ONE NOW!

Old 11-08-1999, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Good_Guy,

Ford Motor Company knows all about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but some dealership people do not. If anyone has to battle with their dealer over this, first, be politely firm and professional, and mention the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Let them know that you are aware that they are required by law to *prove* that the aftermarket part in question was the sole cause of a related parts' failure; they must further prove that had the aftermarket part not been used, the related part would not have failed, and that's the law. And if they don't respond to that, then ask them for the name and telephone number of their Ford Zone Rep. That usually stops those shennanegins right then and there, but if not, call the Zone Rep. No Zone Rep will try to deny your rights under Magnuson-Moss, *they* know better. They generally have a good idea of what kinds of aftermarket add-ons actually do damage and which don't. Every Zone Rep that I've dealt with have been very nice people, who want to make you happy, as long as they can find a way to justify their actions to Ford, and they have a *lot* of lattitude in that regard, that's their job.

Just as an aside, I wanted to comment that most people at dealership service departments are good hard-working people who want to please you, it's just a few that can be difficult with aftermarket parts.

As I mentioned here many times before, I have seen service managers who literally didn't care of you installed a supercharger, they wouldn't give you a hassle over warranty claims. (Though it probably isn't fair to expect to keep your powertrain warranty intact if you bolt on a supercharger!) And then there is the other extreme, which are those who have a fit if they see anything without a Ford logo on it on your vehicle. This is exactly why it is important to know your rights under the law.

One thing I should mention is this: if you leave your Superchip in when you take your vehicle in for service, make sure they know about it! I say this because if your vehicle needs to be connected to their diagnostic machine (SBDS), with the Superchip in place they can still retrieve any error codes that may be present, the Superchipo will not interfere with that process; but, the technician will also get an additional error code, that tells him/her that the computer's internal EPROM is not functioning, and to replace the computer! This is what is *supposed* to happen by virtue of Ford's design; anytime you have something connected to the edge connector (J3), it shuts off the internal EPROM, and tells the computer to seek it's instructions via the external data path. And when you remove the Superchip, voila, it instantly turns that circuit back on. So if you choose to leave the Superchip in during diagnostics (and I generally recommend for most people that you take it out, so you don't have to train your technician), make sure you tell them that it's there, and that they will get that error code telling the technician that the ECU's internal EPROM has failed, and to ignore it.

What we usually tell people is, if you're going in for brake service, leave the Superchip in. But for most people, if you have any type of driveability problem, or think you may have to have diagnostic work done, then I usually suggest that you remove it, simply so you don't have to explain to them about the additional false error code, and to ignore it.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-08-1999).]

Old 11-08-1999, 06:47 PM
Mike, you beat me to it! Race ya to the Lightning section!

------------------
Fast46Triton ®

1999 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter

Old 11-09-1999, 09:55 AM
My Superchip is simple to get to. If I get a check engine light I plan to do the battery and lights thing and if that does not help I will pull the chip and go to the dealer. I kept the plastic cover for the access hole in the computer so it will look normal.

------------------
97 F-150,4.6, Reg Cab, Flareside, Air Aid Kit, TransGo Shift Kit,
Superchips, Gibson Single Cat Back, ******* Bed Cover,
EGR Bug Shield, XL Full Length Running Boards,
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 11-09-1999, 04:42 PM
Actually, there is a reference to the MM act in your owners manual...

Quick Reply: Voided warranty