Superchips vs. Jetchip article by June H. Han

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-1999, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superchips vs. Jetchip article by June H. Han

Ok, so you have a Ford Taurus or even a non-Taurus car and you want more performance out of it? Well,
one of the most effective, easiest, and cost-efficient ways to increase the performance of your car, is to add a
aftermarket performance module which are known as "chips." These performance chips are installed by
attatching them to the service port on the back of your car's computer. At the expense of less than $300 and
usually less than 30 minutes to install, this will probably be the best modification you will ever make. These
chips will also firm up the transmission to shift more accurately and crisply than stock. In many cases, your
transmission may actually run smoother with a performance chip. Quicker shifts = less wear and tear = a
longer life for your transmission. This is true because when shifting faster, there is less slippeage and metal to
metal contact.

These performance chips tune your engine to run on a premium grade fuel(92+ octane) by advancing the
spark timing, and optimizing fuel/air ratio's, and other parameters as well. By this tuning procedure, power is
increased automatically by 5-10% and torque by 10%. This equals to a significant increase when you consider
that a $949 borla cat-back exhaust system may only net you 7hp at most. Your transmission shifts more
accurately and crisply by slightly increasing the line pressure. In the end, with more power and torque, and
smoother and more accurate shifts, this equals to better drivability and a increased fun factor in your car.
These performance chips will also usually remove the top speed limiter of 112 for our Taurus' and raise the
redline approxiamately 300 rpms.

As far as the Taurus goes, there are 2 major companies that makes performance chips for us. On one end, we
have the veteran company Superchips who has more experience and invented the concept of a performance
chip. On the other end, we have a fairly small and unknown company "Jet Performance Products" who would
be the newer guy on the block. How do these two companies compare, I have had the pleasant and
unpleasant experience of dealing with both companies.

As far as how the actual product works, there is a significant difference between how the 2 chips accomplish
their goals. Superchips, when you call them up, the first thing that they will ask from you is the computer box
code number that's usually written on a sticker on your computer. There is a good reason for this. Superchips
unlike Jet Performance Products will analyze the program, and rewrite a program from scratch that will
optimize your performance. They write a different program for every different computer on the market. They
don't write a single program in the "one size fit's all" fashion to apply for everyone which is what jetchips does.
By writing a custom program for each computer box code on the market, yes it's a lot of work, but you
increase the reliability of the product and decrease the number of incompatibility and other problem issues.
Therefor, Superchips is going to have a more reliable and optimized product. Also, Superchips in every
program they write for a car, tests the car completely to optimze and test for incompatibility and problem
issues. Obviously, as Ford implements different computers and program revisions, information is going to
change and by going with a "one size fits all" type product, you are obviously setting yourself up for
headaches.

The Superchip after advancing spark timing and optimizing for premium fuel, alters the ignition in continuous
increments of 400 rpms from idle to wide open throttle at redline. The jetchip operates in a similar manner as
Superchip does and both chips do not alter the cold start of idle program.

Now onto the customer service issues. Superchips has a easy to remember toll free
number(1-888-CAR-CHIP) that anyone can call to ask questions or purchase a product. Their staff members
were friendly and knowledgable. They answered the phone right away without leaving me waiting. On the
other hand, jetchips doesn't have a toll free number that you could use to call and ask your
question(1-714-848-5515). When I called up their line, I was being charge 9 cents a minute and was on hold
for nearly 9 minutes untill the operator could transfer me to an available technician. The technician hesitated
and mumbled when asked questions and appeared to know very little about their products. When asked,
"Does your product remove my top speed limiter for my Taurus," they replied, "it depends, I'm not sure."
Then when I ordered my Jet Performance Chip, the ordering process took another 9 minutes since I was on
hold till someone in sales was available to take my order. After my order was placed, my address was
recorded wrong as I later found out when I package didn't arrive on time. They further worsened the situation
by supplying me with an invalid tracking number for UPS. I thought Jet's staff was fairly rude and untrained.

Well, it turned out my superchip didn't work since I supplied them with the wrong code number. It turned out
that my computer was reprogrammed by my dealer without my permission. When I called them up about
returning my product, they were very couteous and gave me the authorization number and information need to
return the chip. Superchips has a 30 day return policy in case your chip is defective or you are not satisfied
with it.

I had the Jetchip installed on my 97 Taurus LX with the 3.0 Duratec engine. The installation was done at my
local BP Procare and the chip was fine for 2 days. On the 3rd day, my check engine light came on and later, I
found out that it was caused by the engine burning too rich. I had suspected that since on the rear bumper
above the exhaust mufflers, the area was starting to darken and turn black. I immediately had the computer
code cleared and the jetchip uninstalled. My car ran smooth like it did before the jetchip and the check engine
light never came back on. When I ordered my Jetchip, I was told that I could return it if I had problems with
the chip. Unfortunately, that was a lie as I found out when I called Jetchips for a Return Authorization
Number. It turns out that Jet Performance Products does not accept returns. They will fix what's wrong with
the program, but will not accept the return. Further, when I inquired with the main person at Jet, Robert who I
believe is the manager or head person was very rude and basically told me to "**** off." He was very
ill-mannered and unpleasant to deal with. This was shocking since this was completely opposite of what my
experience with Superchips was like.

Basically, if you order a performance chip from Jet Performance Products and it doesn't work right, you are
pretty much out of luck. The Superchips module for the Ford Taurus costs $265. The Jet Performance Chip
costs $298. Which chip is the better deal? That's not a very hard decision. Do you want a general program
that was designed to compromise reliability, or would you like a custom program that is custom tailored for
your car? Again, that's not a very hard decision. When you buy a Superchip, you are getting a chip that is
tailor made to suit your needs.

The decision is yours, but obviously, the decision shouldn't be very difficult to make. In summary, Superchips
BRAND is MUCH better than Jet's Chips. Not in one aspect, but in every aspect from friendly customer
service, to a toll free line, or their return policy. The TCCA(Taurus Car Club of America) fully endorses and supports Superchips.
(www.tauruscarclub.com)

------------------
June H. Han
jhan@tauruscarclub.com
1997 Taurus w/Duratec 3.0
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Filter
coming soon(Superchip)

Old 10-31-1999, 08:50 AM
Talking

What a great post !

I am so glad someone else had GREAT customer service also.
Let's hear about the real perfomance gains. I see quite a few imagined gains.

Now we'll hear from the naysayers and the folks that think Mike T. has a million F150online identities.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip(Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?)

Old 10-31-1999, 11:57 AM
I must say, an impressive post. Here is more proof that the Superchip is alot better than Jet or Hypertech.

Old 11-01-1999, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear June,

Thanks for that thorough post. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with JET (Jones Electronic Technologies) and their product. The differences between teh two products were correctly pointed out, teh SUperchip is programmed for each different computer code, and it works all the time, not just at WOT (wide-open throttle).

I was, however, surprised to hear that JET would not honor your request for a refund, as we had heard in the past that they stood behind the product a little better than that. Let's hope they change that policy soon.

I will drop by your web site as soon as I get a chance. As the National Distributor of Superchips, we can offer a very nice discount for your Taurus car club members.

I'm glad you decided to join us here at F150online, and I hope you'll stick around and hang out with us when you have spare time.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-01-1999, 02:11 PM
Cool

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Our club is excited by your offer of a possible discount on Superchip Performance chips. I have fowarded your reply to our club president Bill Garrett(poc301@hotmail.com). I will be getting my superchip tomarrow since I just called and found that they are done writing my program. Unfortunately, the Taurus Car Club website(www.tauruscarclub.com) is down for upgrading and will be back up Tuesday. Thanks. I really look foward to using the superchip since I know that it will work this time since they wrote a fresh program for me.

------------------
June H. Han
jhan@tauruscarclub.com
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Filter
coming soon(Superchip)

Old 11-03-1999, 11:43 AM
Cool

Hey guys, I finally got my superchip and just had it installed a few minutes ago. Installation
cost me $34 again and the poor old guy who did the installation hurt his back trying to put
my computer back in. The car idles much smoother and accellerates much better. There
was a fairly noticeable boost of power. The jetchip actually was faster, but it also caused
me to have detonation problems as well. So far with the superchip, I havn't been able to
hear any detonation yet. I havn't driven the car hard yet, but at partial throttle, the car feels
much more powerful. The transmission shifts much faster, accurately, crisper, and believe it
or not, the shifts are much smoother with this chip installed. I havn't floored my gas yet, but
I heard that at WOT, you can chirp the tires between gearshifts. So far, I am impressed by
this chip and so far it hasn't shown any sign of a rich burn situation. Only time will tell since
my jetchip was fine the first 2 days and then caused trouble on the 3rd day. I have high
hopes for the superchip. Come March at the TCCA meeting, i'm gonna race the club president bill garrett and spank him. When I go out later today, I will drive it hard and have some fun with my new "toy"

------------------
June H. Han
jhan@tauruscarclub.com
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Filter
coming soon(Superchip)

Old 11-03-1999, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear June,

Glad to hear you're up and running with your new Superchip!

Enjoy,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-12-1999, 05:58 AM
Very nice article. I'm just waiting for my Borla muffler. After that I'm also planning to get a Superchip. Sad to hear you're out a lot of cash courtesy of Jetchip incompetence.
Great thing about your post maybe those guys at Jet wont be so smug next time.

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab Styleside 2x4
Deep Wedgewood Blue
V6 4.2 SEFI Auto
Dealer released: June 30,1999
Everything is still stock
Ford OEM Soft Tonneau Installed
Muth Signal Mirrors
Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil
K&N Air Filter (Thanks, Roger)
Superbright Headlamps
Borla muffler to follow........

Old 11-12-1999, 09:45 AM
Cool

Hey guys, just as to post an update, Jet Performance Products finally refunded my money. The members of the Taurus Car Club of America and the BBB put some heat on them so they finally honored what they told me and refunded my money. If they wouldn't have lied to me, I wouldn't have had to go thru with this and waste my time to write an article, and organize a effort to put heat on them

------------------
June H. Han
jhan@tauruscarclub.com
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
K&N Filter
Superchip
17 in Team Loco 143 Rims

Old 11-12-1999, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear June,

I'm very glad to hear you got your refund. JET usually will do that, so I was sorry to hear they didn't want to do that at first, as they usually take better care of their customers than that.

All's well that ends well,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Superchips vs. Jetchip article by June H. Han