Mike, LIghtning chip, convert to PSD use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike, LIghtning chip, convert to PSD use?

Mike, i have one of your first flip chips for my 99 lightning, i wanted to have it reburned for my 03 Lightning. JDM said it would not work. can you have it reburned for 99 PSD use?

Old 04-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is correct, it will not work. Ford made some changes in 2003, and as a result, chipmakers generally had to make changes in their hardware to accommodate, otherwise problems like occasional no-starts, or not starting or running right in temps well below freezing, etc. In the blue single bank Superchips modules, the later units are identified by the "F" designation on the imprinting on the back of the module - you don't have the F revision module, so it won't work properly/reliably on a 2003.

And no, it cannot be reprogrammed for a PSD either - it's a *gas* engine chip. As you are probably aware, chips for diesels have traditionally been more expensive than chips for gas-engine trucks, due to the additional R&D and testing required for a safe performance tune without elevated EGT's or hurting fuel mileage. And that is how that distribution was controlled, by what file type each respective module (blue for gas engine, gold for V10's & PSD's) would accept.

Your hardware (chip) will work fine on any gas-engine (except V10) FoMoCo vehicle from 1987-2002 - but not on 2003 or newer models.

We can tune any FoMoCo vehicle you have, and make as much power as anyone in the country - gas engine or PSD, and set it up any way you want. We do all of that completely in-house, and we can work a deal with you to trade in that older single-bank 2-program chip for a custom-tuned 4-bank 4-program chip (5 programs, actually). Then you'll have a product that does a more thorough tune by addressing all 4 banks, and having even more programs, and that will take you into the 21st century, so to speak, tuning-wise. The single-bank chips cannot be sued for higher-powered Lightning applications for example, or in any vehicle where the injector variables are not in the same old bank - and for the Lightnings' that starts with 2001's CXN1 code, and continues thru all newer units as well.

So the hot tip is to do a trade-up deal with us for your original chip, which we do *only* for those who purchased their original chip directly from us. If you have interest in doing that, give us a cal & we'll take care of this for you.

By the way - nice to see you again.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Mike, thanks for the explanation. i will get with you soon on your trade in offer.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're more than welcome, always.

And it's great to see you drop by again!

Best of luck & talk to you soon,

Quick Reply: Mike, LIghtning chip, convert to PSD use?