Harmful Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Harmful Mods ?

Ran across this on performance mods are loosing longevity for short term gains.

July 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Tom and Ray:

Help! Help! I need more power! I currently have a '93 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 liter V-6 engine. It has less than 55,000 miles on it and runs great, but lacks power, especially for climbing hills. Should I just live with it? Should I install a free-flow exhaust? Or should I go for the big guns and put in a new computer chip and a supercharger and really get my hair flying? -- Christie

Ray: My brother asked me the same question about his late, '63 Dodge Dart. He wanted to know how he could get his hair flying. I suggested he stick his tongue in a spark-plug wire.

Tom: It worked! I've had an awesome perm ever since.

Ray: I'd strongly recommend you live with it, Christie. There's only so much power you can wring out of an engine that isn't designed for high performance. And if you really squeeze it hard and run it hot with a supercharger, a free-flow exhaust system or a computer chip that changes the basic engine parameters, you're going to eventually cook the engine and ruin it.

Tom: On the other hand, maybe that's the approach you should take. Put in the chip, the supercharger AND the exhaust system, and drive it around until you burn your valves and crystalize your oil. Then you'll need a new engine, and you can make the replacement engine a V-8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's amazing how many bad driving habits and wacko theories have been passed down from generation to generation! Tom and Ray set the record straight in their booklet "Ten Ways You May Be Ruining Your Car Without Even Knowing It!" To order, send $3 and a stamped (55 cents), self-addressed, No. 10 envelope to Ruin, PO Box 6420, Riverton, NJ 08077-6420.

© 1999 by Tom and Ray Magliozzi and Doug Berman Distributed by King Features Syndicate, Inc.

Back to the July 1999 index
Previous column Next column

------------------
99' F-150 XLT SC 4X4 ORP LS 4.6L K&N Air Filter, Suuuuperchiped, A.R.E. Cover, Duraliner, 3" single CatBack

Old 11-10-1999, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Gee, I'm sure glad Tom & Ray don't run our lives! I guess only those people who buy "performance" vehicles from the factory are allowed to think about improving the performance of their vehicles, eh?

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-10-1999, 01:49 PM
Talking

So, true Mike if you don't like it just live with it. Ya right Tom and Ray.

Old 11-10-1999, 02:20 PM
I love Tom & Ray but don't always agree with em. You know they are also down on people driving trucks who as they say "don't need em" and they hate SUV's as well. So.....

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels and the 4X4 decals, MODs so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 11-10-1999, 03:03 PM
Don't look at doing mods to your engine and transmission to gain miles per gallon or longevity. If you get better performance and improved miles per gallon think of it as a free perk. Most performance changes cost money and miles per gallon and lower the life expectancy of the engine or transmission.
I can say the changes I have made including the Superchips have improved miles per gallon and performance.
The miles per gallon improvement was unexpected.

------------------
97 F-150,4.6, Reg Cab, Flareside, Air Aid Kit, TransGo Shift Kit,
Superchips, Gibson Single Cat Back, ******* Bed Cover,
EGR Bug Shield, XL Full Length Running Boards,
Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 11-10-1999, 04:32 PM
Dont give up the 4.6! Better yet, dont listen to Rmarietta!

Old 11-11-1999, 12:40 AM
Smile

BigRed2,

So when are you going to replace your burnt-up 4.6 with a new 5.4?

------------------
'00 WHITE/GOLD F150 LARIAT FlareSide SC 5.4 Auto 3.55 LS
Black Westin Nerfs, White Prime Design BugShield,
White Vtech Taillight Covers, K&N Air Filter,
Leather Captain's Chairs (like a screen door in a submarine!),
and all the Lariat goodies
SOME SHOW and a LOTTA TOW
My am E, Fl *** Member of ??? Ford Group

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-1999, 12:47 AM
rmarietta,

As soon as I come down with a bad case of piston slap and start leaking oil from my flawed engine block.

------------------
99' F-150 XLT SC 4X4 ORP LS 4.6L K&N Air Filter, Suuuuperchiped, A.R.E. Cover, Duraliner, 3" single CatBack

Old 11-12-1999, 04:14 AM
Cool

Be nice fast46triton or Steve might give you a time out, I was just referring to BigRed2's signature 'Suuuuperchiped' and figured with that mod he would be replacing his engine within 6 months according to Tom and Ray.

Old 11-12-1999, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor
A time-out, that's funny! Good one, R. Fast is a good guy too, he generally tries to be very helpful. Everyone needs to rememvber that we're all pretty much joking here in this thread, so please don't anyone feel offended! We're having fun!

I've listened to Tom & Ray, and a few times I've heard them give decent advice. But what their show is really more about is their unique brand of humor. They really don't like trucks and SUV's, or the people who drive them, or so it would seem listening to them! I've heard them tell distraught women things that I wouldn't ever think of saying to someone in that situation, and then I've heard them be helpful from time to time. I've never taken their show seriously, as a place to get good advice from. Entertainment, yes, good advice, not often enough. Also, if you listen to their show, it's obvious they screen their calls, and generally what you tend to hear are people who know extremely little about their vehicles calling them for advice. That advice is sometimes helpful, though I think they need real improvement in that area, but it's almost always funny on some level. It's entertainment, not knowledge.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-12-1999, 04:20 PM
Mike said
Fast is a good guy too, he generally tries to be very helpful. Everyone needs to rememvber that we're all pretty much joking here in this thread, so please don't anyone feel offended! We're having fun!

Good point Mike. Yes Im helpful, I hope, and everyone needs to know they we are joking. I hope you know this also when Raoul makes a pitstop!

Rmarietta,

Gotcha!
------------------
Fast46Triton ®

1999 Ford F150 XLT Supercab, Shortbed, 4x2, 4 wheel disc brakes/4 wheel Anti-Lock Brakes, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter

[This message has been edited by fast46triton (edited 11-12-1999).]

Old 11-15-1999, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
It's all in good fun, guys.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Harmful Mods ?