Speedometer need correcting for tire/gear change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Speedometer need correcting for tire/gear change?

Just to post another possible solution for those who need to get their speedometer recalibrated to compensate for changing gear ratios and/or tire sizes.....

Interactive Systems & Technologies, on page 203 of the December Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, has what they call a "Speed Sensor Adaptor". Here's what their ad says: Adapts ALL (their emphasis) late model Ford electronic speed sensors or cables to standard speed-reducer gearboxes available from any speedometer shop. Now a correct speedometer reading is possible with ANY gear ratio or tire size. No need to cut the factory wiring harness, like some other products force you to do.......$19.95

The way I read it, and I have not talked to this company, is that this will then allow you to go to any speedo shop and get calibrated. I wanted to point that out so that nobody thinks they can solve this for just $20!

You can reach this company at: Orders: 800-820-1082, Tech line: 770-720-1259. They also have a web site located at:www.mass-air.com

They have all kinds of neat stuff, like air temperature sensor relocation kits for Mustangs (what about the rest of us? I don't know, call 'em!), and other goodies.

Let us know if anyone goes this route!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-15-1999, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEAL! READ THE ABOVE POST!

Old 11-15-1999, 06:23 PM
I took a trip to Target and checked out that magazine ad. It appears as if it will only work on 98 and older speedos, because the picture shows the adapter to be a coupling that will allow a standard speedo gearbox to mate with fords "gear driven" speed sensor. Since there isn't a speed sensor like that on the 99+ trucks, it wouldn't work. For 98 and older trucks this would be useful if your gear/tire setup was beyond correction with fords selection of speedo gears. The website just shows an index, and it was too late in the day when I called the phone number, so I couldn't get anymore info. But I will definitely try to call them to make sure.

Thanks Mike!

------------------
99 F150 XLT SC 2WD, Fabtech Suspension, Bullseye Spindles, 3" body lift, Centerlines with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 11-15-1999, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... FAST46TRITON : MIKE T already told me about this company. I tried to go to their website but I keep getting sent to a "PARENT DIRECTORY" and that is as far as it goes. I'll try to call them this weekend to see about their product.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP.

FUTURE MODS : JBA headers, power pulleys, twin electric fans, traction bars, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

Old 11-16-1999, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Hmmm, they seem rather adamant about it working for *all* of them in their ad, so it will be very interesting to see if this is actually the case. Thanks for giving us a heads-up on that aspect, G. Patricio, and please do let us know if you determine that to be the case, if you talk to them.

At any rate, if anyone checks into this, please let the rest of us know. It may be a total bust, I don't know, I haven't worked with it, and know next to nothing about it. But I saw the ad, and thought I would at least let everyone know about it, to see if it might help anyone. It may turn out to be worthless, for all I know!

Good luck all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-16-1999).]

Old 11-16-1999, 05:13 PM
I just got off the phone with Interactive Sys. and Technologies. I spoke to a guy in tech support and he immediately said that their adapter is only good from around 94 and older for the ford trucks. I mentioned the photo I saw in the ad and said it looked like it would work on the 98 and older, (having owned a 97), and he said he didn't know for certain, but sounded like it would work, (on 98 and older). But as far as 99+, since there isn't a unit that is "turned" by the transmission, he was certain his unit wouldn't work. The guy seemed knowledgeable, but it seemed his expertise was in Mustangs.

------------------
99 F150 XLT SC 2WD, Fabtech Suspension, Bullseye Spindles, 3" body lift, Centerlines with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 11-17-1999, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear G. Patricio,

Thanks very much for checking this out! Sounds like this place is primarily a Mustang-oriented shop?

Sounds to me as if there are still some unanswered questions here regarding viability of this product for newer-than-'94 F-150's. At least we know it won't be the answer needed by the '99 owners.

If anyone else talks to these people, or tries this product, please let us know what you learn, what happens, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-17-1999).]

Quick Reply: Speedometer need correcting for tire/gear change?