Power gains with 1715 vs. 1100

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power gains with 1715 vs. 1100

I'm posting for a buddy of mine who has a '98 F250 with the 4.6L. He's looking at a few ways to get more power out of his truck, and I've recommended a Superchip. He's also got a hop-up shop recommending things to sell him, but it seems like they're pushing all the wrong parts. They've already got strike one against them for just switching out his stock muffler for a Flowmaster.

Anyways, from what I can gather, the single program Superchip is worth around 18hp and 26 ft/lbs on the 4.6L. I'm wondering what the power gains would be with the use of the 1715 tuner instead?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Re: Power gains with 1715 vs. 1100

Originally posted by KAS300
I'm posting for a buddy of mine who has a '98 F250 with the 4.6L. He's looking at a few ways to get more power out of his truck, and I've recommended a Superchip. He's also got a hop-up shop recommending things to sell him, but it seems like they're pushing all the wrong parts. They've already got strike one against them for just switching out his stock muffler for a Flowmaster.

Anyways, from what I can gather, the single program Superchip is worth around 18hp and 26 ft/lbs on the 4.6L. I'm wondering what the power gains would be with the use of the 1715 tuner instead? especially on a 3/4 ton i'd recommend the 9100 tuner- may want to read my post-diablo versus superchips 1715 versus superchips 9100-phil

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi KAS300,

Well, the power gains from the 1100 are going to be the same as the the *middle* of the 3 different levels of performance tunes in the 1715 Micro Tuner - but not as high as the 3rd tune, the "MAX" performance program in the 1715 Micro Tuner. The program in the 1100 is the same as the "tow-perf" tune in the 1715, which requires premium gas and can still be used for towing. That is the same program he would get in the 1100, so the power & performance gains would be basically the same.

However, the 1715 also has another *higher* power level program, the "MAX" performance tune, and on that 4.6 is gong to have another 5-8 HP gain on top of what the 1100 can deliver - so he is *not* going to get as much power & performance gain from the 1100 as he will from the 1715, due to the fact that the 1715 has 3 different tunes, one of which is the same as the 1100, and another of which has *more* power than the program in the 1100.

Now the 1100 (or the 1715) will do a nice job in his 1998 F-250 4.6 to be sure - but he can get even *more* power and performance gain for a little bit more cost. If he wants to get the best possible power & performance gains, he needs to call us and have us do an in-depth custom tune in one of our new SCT 4-bank products - meaning either the single program 4-bank Superchip, the 5-program Superchip, or the 9100 3-program custom Micro Tuner. We typically see about another 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 miles times from our 4-bank custom tuning over what the 1715 delivers - so it's enough additional gain to be worth while for many people.

We generally recommend going multi-program if the budget will allow - just to have the flexibility of being able to run on any octane level of fuel and get a performance gain, and then the highest possible power gains when using the premium gas tuning.

He can always just have us do our custom premium as tune in the 5500, the single program 4-bank SCT chip, and that will get him as much performance as he can get via tuning - he just won't have the ability to run it on 87 octane, same as with the 1100. Or, he could have us do an 87 octane tune with lower power gains - either way works, it's just not as flexible. Now if that is OK with him, then spend the least and go with our 5500 (and of course, you can see all of this on our web site at: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...chips%3BFoMoCo

Just remember that in the 1100, he will have to use premium gas all the time, and will not gain as much power & performance as he will by having us do our custom tuning in any of the 3 newer 4-bank style Superchips products.

I know this all gets confusing as it's so detailed, and you're trying to relay all that info to someone else - if your friend wants, he can call us and we can go over with him just how power & performance gain he will get in his particular F-250 and it's computer code in all the various different Superchips products, their respective costs, features, benefits, pros & cons of each, etc. - then he can make his decision being fully informed, and get the best possible result.

Have fun, & good luck to your friend with whatever he decides!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 04-22-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Cool, thanks Mike. I'll print this out to show to him. He's got a bunch of people telling him he needs to put an intake on his truck next, and while that might help, I've been trying to convince him that if he's only going to spend his money on one part right now, tuning is the better way to go.

Quick Reply: Power gains with 1715 vs. 1100