KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER ON 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1999, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What negative comments have you guys heard about a blower/headers combo?

Old 11-05-1999, 04:08 PM
Mumbly,

I must say, your truck looks better than that Lightning in that picture!

Old 11-07-1999, 11:54 AM
I read that the 5.4L are setup so well that adding the headers actually decreases overall performance. You may gain a few hp in the top end but overall not worth the added costs.

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard

"Its so big... It's gotta be blown!"

Old 11-07-1999, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... I talked to MIKE T about headers on my 5.4 a couple of weeks ago during one of our discusions. He told me that on the dyno that a set of headers (I believe they were JBA) produced 17h.p at the flywheel and somewhere around 12h.p at the rear wheels. So just do the math, if you put headers and a SUPERCHIP in a "99" 5.4 f-150 you will get about 45 more h.p, or 305h.p at the crank. Not bad eh! MIKE T correct me if I'm wrong. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP

Old 11-07-1999, 04:35 PM
Woah, I like the sound of that Neal! You know, I can be a HP freak also

Old 11-07-1999, 07:20 PM
Cool

HI!... FAST : That would be great! Now we can carpool to my " H.P FREAK ANOMYNOUS" meetigs! 8-)

------------------
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP

Old 11-08-1999, 12:24 AM
Way2Big,

Where did you read this? Should email truck Trends of someone to do a test on that with a dyno.

Old 11-08-1999, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Neal,

Yeah, those are the numbers I had been given some time back, 12-14 hp for the 4.6, and 15-17 hp for the 5.4 at the flywheel for the JBA Jet-Hot coated headers. Definitely worthwhile.

Way2Big, it *is* possible to have headers reduce your low-end torque, but that usually only happens when you have too large a primary tube diameter for the rpm operating range of your engine, such as lower-rpm daily drivers. All of the reputable header manufacturers know this, and make headers sized properly for street-driven applications, so you really don't have to worry about this too much. For a drag racing engine, 2" or larger primary tubes are the norm, but for a small-block V-8 on the street, usually something like an inch and five-eighths to an inch and three quarters diameter is what you'll find.

I hope that helps,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 11-08-1999, 06:21 PM
Well, sounds to me you guys have much better info than what I had read in another discussion topic. I was considering them recently but after reading that, it was put on the back burner, indefinitly. But I may go back to my original thinking.

One thing, when I order my Superchip, will I have to diclose what hp mod's I have done so that it is modified for that, ex. headers? Also, when I do put the KB on it next year, can I send it back in to get it modified for the added sc?

Thanks for all the replies!

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard

Old 11-08-1999, 06:40 PM
Way2big,

No, you dont have to list the mods you have done unless its a supercharger which needs a custom program.

Old 11-08-1999, 09:46 PM
Cool

HI!... WAY2BIG : If you do decide to get a KENNE BELL supercharger try to get the "BLOWZILLA" one. When I called about this supercharger I was told that it comes with it's own custom chip that was programed with help from dyno runs to get it to work perfectly.

------------------

Old 11-08-1999, 10:24 PM
Neal,

What are the difference of the 2 units? I was only aware of the one. I seen the install of the KB in Today's SUV and in it they had the KB Boost-a-Spark, Boost-A-Pump and the KB Optimizer. The latter is an independent in-line computer processor. Is that what you are speaking of? In the article, it was never called the Blowzilla. Thanks!

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard

Old 11-09-1999, 07:48 PM
Cool

HI!... WAY2BIG : I don't know what the difference is between the two kits. When I called KENNE BELL to get some information about their kit I told the person that I was talking to that I had a SUPERCHIP he told me that it would be useless because a custom chip comes with their BLOWZILLA kit. If you want more information on this mabey you should call them yourself. Mabey you can get somemore information than I did.

------------------

Old 11-29-1999, 07:08 PM
Mumbly,

Hi! I was wanting to know why you decided to get the Kenne Belle setup rather than the Vortech? In another topic I've replied to, rdsii, who had installed a KB in his Expy. Although I have had experience with a Vortech SC on a '94 Z28, I "was" leaning to a KB system, due to the instant boost it offers and the "stock" look.

He replied that that the lower end would not stand up to the constant boost, after
discussing it to several Ford performance dealers.

The Topic is "SuperChip in a Expy w /5.4" in the Computer Chips section.

I am just wanting your thoughts on why you made that decision. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard

Old 11-29-1999, 10:43 PM
Banned
Wink

My main reason for going with the Kenne Bell was because of the full boost at lower RPM's. Since our trucks don't have much of a RPM Range, The sooner the better. I talked with a few Mustang owners at the Fun Ford Weekend and they said that the Vortech and such don't start making boost until around 3 grand and our trucks don't go much over 5 grand. That's not enough for me. My Kenne Bell makes Full boost at just under 2 grand. I also just love the look if that count(It does at show's).
As for the rear end I was told that I did not need to do anything, but I something happens then I will just have to get a few more performance parts for my baby.

------------------
Mumbly also known as Buck
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Member of Fordified.
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flairside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work mumblywork@myf150.com
Home mumbly@myf150.com

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 11-29-1999).]

Quick Reply: KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER ON 5.4