KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER ON 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-1999, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER ON 5.4

HI!... Has anyone read the artical in the NOVEMBER "99" issue of SUPER FORD on the KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger install on a 5.4? I would just like to get some opinions on the set-up that KENNE BELL is using on this 5.4 application. The truck they were using was a "98" F-150, REG-CAB, SHORTBOX, STEPSIDE, with the 5.4 (235h.p). The only mods that were done to the truck were JBA headers and a K&N air filter. It baselined on the dyno at 185.3h.p at 4000rpm and 279.9ft-lb of torque at 3250rpm at the rear wheels. After the supercharger (6PSI) installation the truck made 280.9h.p at 4500rpm and 362.4ft-lbs of torque at 3500rpm at the rear wheels. I was pretty impressed with the kit because it uses your exsisting intake and the supercharger simply bolts on top of it. Their was only too things that bother me a little and that is that the supercharger belt runs off of the alternator pulley (kit comes with double groove pulley for the alternator) and would probably shorten the life of the alternator bearings. The second thing was that they increase the voltage slightly to the stock fuel pump so that it can supply enough fuel for the supercharger. I am very seriosly thinking about getting this kit next year and just wanted to get some opinions on it . THANKS, NEAL(the h.p freak)

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP

Old 10-23-1999, 08:17 PM
Cool

HI!... By the way if you do a little math on this set-up and do the install on a "99" power improved 5.4 with a SUPERCHIP it will probably make in the neiborhood of close to375-400h.p at the motor. I think the motor would most likely hold the power but I am afraid the 4R70-W tranny most likely would not with out some serious modifications.

------------------
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 10-23-1999).]

Old 10-23-1999, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Well Neal you sure live up to your name but why didn't you just get a Lightning? LOL
It would ahve been cheaper in the long run

Old 10-24-1999, 07:18 PM
Cool

HI!... 54REGCAB, I was going to get one originally but the SVT dealer here did'nt have the price list yet and he told me that they would probably be around $57,000(CAN). To much for me! Even if they were cheaper at that time I just could'nt wait 6 months to get the truck. My other vehicle died and I needed a vehicle fast so I could get to work. Then after I got this truck at $40,000(CAN) I found out that the LIGHTNINGS around here were only going for about $45,000(CAN). I was so pissed off at that salesman I could of killed him.8-)

------------------

Old 10-28-1999, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No personal experience with the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump but the Mustang magazines have reported no problems that I know of. It only increases voltage to the pump under boost, and how long can you run that way? I read the article that you referenced and was impressed enough to seriously consider buying one. I also have doubts about the reliability of the stock trans with 350-400 horses on tap. I wonder if the trans could be upgraded to Lightning specs,(and the cost).

Old 10-28-1999, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Neal,

The 4R70W tranny can be built to withstand a good bit of power. You just need more cluthches and bands made of better material. I would just have a good performance rebuild done on it when the time comes, and you should be fine.

If the kit is such a neat install, like we talked about over the phone, then maybe a reduced alternator bearing life could be tolerated. It sounds like an interesting setup, and it sure makes a lot of power per lb. of boost!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 10-28-1999, 02:30 PM
Exclamation

I would definitely sacrifice the alternator for that much of a horsepower gain. But, I can't even imagine the cost of upgrading the tranny. Specialty parts are hard to get a hold of up here in Canada. My ultimate goal would be to convert my truck into a 4x4 Lightning, excluding the handling performance of coarse. What's the cost of that KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger anyways?

------------------
'98 F-150 XLT Reg. Cab Flareside 4x4, Black, 5.4l, 3.55LS, tow package, K&N, GTS headlight covers, Alpine changer w/FM mod, Clifford alarm system w/keyless entry & starter disable // Future considerations: 285/75/r16 Mud Terrain BFG's, bed mat, tonneau cover, 4" suspension lift.

Old 10-28-1999, 03:42 PM
Jet will do a complete swap out for their performance trannys @ $2000-$3000, most are rated @ 500-800ft lbs. i used the TST hd diesel swap out on my ram and went ahead w/ hd performance torque converter while i had it out. the TST tranny has kevlar bands and hd clutches rated for 1000ft lbs. you only have to go thru this domino effect once, to realize what a bargin the lightning is.

------------------
99 black lightning w/3 options, superchip, sal's filter,wyldman's fog covers,bedrug,roll-n-lock.
98 lexus GS400 stock
98 Valk Tourer
94 Ram V-10 520ci, 625hp, 12.88@108 not stock

Old 10-29-1999, 12:11 AM
Check out www.alternativeauto.com for an article on the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump. It is on the front page, right side, towards the bottom.

------------------
99 F-150 4X4 Island Blue S/C 5.4 auto Just getting started on it!

Old 10-29-1999, 10:24 PM
Neal,

Is there anyway you could send me a copy of that article on KB supercharger? I went out to find it today and found the Dec. issue on the shelf 8-(. I am thinking of adding the same system to my expy eventually and that article sounds like it would help in my decision making. If not, does anyone know if Super Ford sells back issues? Thanks Guys!

Old 10-30-1999, 12:38 AM
Hey Neal, I dont know what the exchange rate is in Canada but here in Lousiana a Lightning runs about 30,000 MSRP plus a dealer markup of around 5,000. If anyone has been able to get a Lightning for close to MSRP I would like to hear about it. My 2000 F150 XLT Reg cab 5.4 tow package limited slip styleside box 6 disc cd and all the other bells and whistles truck has a MSRP of 23,500 and the deal I have going should get it to me at an actual cost of 22,000. Plus I get the color I want (island blue) and the regular box and more towing capacity, this is meant to be a combined work play truck and the Ligning just didn't work for me. with the 13,000 dollar difference in price i can do a lot to get it the way i truly want, mildly lowered, Kenne Bell supercharger, beter exhaust, Centerline 17x8 Starfire wheels and pirelli scorpion 275/55 tires. I wish i could get the truck from Ford with the 17 inch tires but then i have to get a Sport which limited my color choices. I did get the special appearance package which makes in my opinion a nicer looking vehicle. Other planned mods are a front bumper cover and a Topup tonneau cover. The alternater on the Kenne bell setup is not unduly stressed by the blower drive because the it is now being pulled up which cancels out more or less the engine belt pulling it down.

Old 11-01-1999, 04:36 PM
Cool

HI!... FORDIFICATION: I called KENNE BELL last week and talked to Mr. BELL himself. He told me that the cost of the KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger kit for the 5.4 and 4.6 was $3690.00(U.S). That is also including their custom computer chip that was designed to work with their supercharger for max H.P on a dyno. He told me that the set-up that they use to run the supercharger off of the alternator is actually better for the bearing life than the stock factory set-up because it cancels out the pulling force created by the factory belt route. He also told me that their kit produced 306h.p at the rear wheels on a "99" F-150 with the new "P.I" 5.4 engine. That translates into roughly 375 h.p at the flywheel. Pretty impressive for a kit that does'nt have a intercooler! By the way that h.p figure he gave me was on a totally stock truck. So if yo add true duel exhaust and a set of headers it will most likely be closer to 325h.p at the rear wheels. I only found one problem with their kit and that was that because I live in CANADA I will end up paying about $5400.00(CAN) for the kit. But I guess that is the price I'll have to pay for being "THE H.P FREAK"!!!!!!8-) 8-)

------------------

Old 11-02-1999, 09:01 AM
Banned
Cool

Neal,

Sorry for the late responce, haven't had much time to get on the Board lately. I have had the Kenne Bell Supercharger in my truck for three week now and I'm very impressed with it. As for the tranny I have done nothing to it and have had no trouble so far. Neal you mention that the Kenne Bell kit comes with the custom computer chip. I would check on that because mine did not. Also remember that you will need to buy gauges as well. The only thing that I have had trouble with is that I'm now hitting the Rev limiter between shifts. This should be fixed when I get my Superchip back (hopefully in the next couple of days). I also wanted to let you know that the guys (Competition Machine of Plano, Inc.) who installed the Supercharger for me were very impressed with the kit. I will keep you informed as things progress. Here is a pic under the hood.

------------------
Buck aka Mumbly
Carrollton Texas (DFW), Member of Fordified.
Black 1999 Stage 3 Roush F-150 Super Cab Flairside
Here are all the goodies: Kenne Bell Supercharger, Roush Suspension, 18"x 9.5 Chrome Wheels, B. F. Goodrich Z295/45, Full Ground Effects, Roush Leather Signatured Interior (Front and Back), Flowmaster with Side Exit Infront of the Wheel, Embroidered Floor Mats, F1 Cobra Hood, ******* Hard Tonneau, Bedrug, Slide Window, and lots of other little odds and ends

Work mumblywork@myf150.com
Home mumbly@myf150.com

[This message has been edited by Mumbly (edited 11-02-1999).]

Old 11-02-1999, 07:30 PM
Cool

HI!... MUMBLY: is your truck got the 4.6 or the 5.4 engine? Your profile is vague on this . I too am having the same problem with hitting the rev limiter when making the 1st to 2nd gear upshift. This was caused by my installation of 4.10 gears and the rpm's come up to quick in 1st gear and the tranny does'nt have time to shift before it hits the rev limiter. I sent it to SUPERCHIPS last week to have it reprogrammed for my application and should be getting it back before the weekend. I hope so because I have a DAKOTA R/T 5.9 EC to beat this weekend. How do you like the fit and finish of the kit. Was yours the "BLOWZILLA" kit as seen in SUPER FORD magazine. If not mabey that one comes with the special chip. By the way nice set-up, I love it. You must smoke a lot of CHEVY's with that truck and the funny thing is that they can't tell that you have a supercharged under the hood.

------------------

Old 11-02-1999, 07:39 PM
Cool

HI!... MUMBLY: If I decide to get this kit next year I will be installing it myself. Just out of curiosity how much did it cost you to have it installed and how long did it take them to do it?

------------------

Quick Reply: KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER ON 5.4