which chip is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which chip is the best?

I have the 97 4.2 2wd. I am wondering of all the aftermarket computer chips, which is the best? I have heard good and bad things about all of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
1997 F-150 Blue 2wd flareside hard tonneau speed grille and bumper insert blue headlights 4wd bumper w/ fog lights clear corners, think im gettin clear taillights that have finally come out for the flairside tailights for Christmas

Old 12-08-1999, 11:37 PM
mine

Old 12-09-1999, 02:03 AM
Hopefully Mike T. will be along to explain the differences in better detail. The only chip that works all the time is the Superchip, the rest only work at wide open throttle. It takes over control of everthing that the EEC controls and changes things like fuel curves, ingnition timing, shift points of the transmission and such. In my opinion there is no equal to it. One other thing instead of the one size fits all the Superchip is flashed for your computer code specifically.

Old 12-09-1999, 07:30 AM
Talking

Let's see, which chip is best???? Hmmmm?

I say Hypertech and ATS superchip....if you need a couple of paperweights. Most people start by holding down thier sales reciepts in the "Things never to buy again" folder. I prefer to just use a free rock. No sense in paying $200+ for a piece of mass.

On the otherhand, if you want a chip for performance gains, I say Superchips,Inc.

Watch out for Superchips_Distributer a.k.a. Mike T., though.....
He's been known to tell it like it is, NOT telling you what you wanna hear. If you don't wanna hear the facts or the truth, you might wanna avoid him!

Products only makes it into my signature line if it does what it says and is of highest quality. Look below!

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip (Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?) Lund Elite soft tonneau

www.angelfire.com/pa3/spaceace/index.html

[This message has been edited by spaceace (edited 12-09-1999).]

Old 12-09-1999, 09:39 AM
Uh Oh, he had to ask did he?

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 12-09-1999, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure he had to ask, and it's a very fair question!

To Puddin: First, welcome to F150online! One thing is for sure, there is a lot of hype & misinformation about performance chips in general, and it can be very hard to decide what is best for you, so dropping in here and asking is one of the best things to do, to get opinions from the people who are actually using the product.

Simply put, the single biggest difference between Superchips and other performance chips is this: The Superchip adds power *all* the time, from 1000-1200 rpm on up, regardless of throttle position. So whether you're putting around at 25 mph in the neighborhood, or making a bonzai pass down the drag strip, you will have more power available all the time, and improved overall driveability. Other performance chips like Hypertech, JET, etc., only add power at WOT (wide-open throttle), so they cannot improve gas mileage or driveability. Also, most other chips require you use a special low-temperature thermostat as well, which is an added expense, and not a good idea to do on a street-driven vehicle.

All in all, the Superchip adds more power, it adds power *all* the time, and is the single best bang-for-the-buck power gainer you can install on your vehicle. It's backed by a Lifetime guarantee as well. Last, it costs less than the other chips too.

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses here, and as we can already see, others have responded who are using the product. Please feel free to contact me privately for further detailed info, pricing, etc., and we'll be happy to go over all this in greater detail than we can here. Our contact info is below.

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-09-1999, 06:28 PM
Anyone want to venture a guess at how many of us on this site have the Superchip. 50-75% sound close?

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-1999, 08:30 PM
Thumbs up

I got one, the part I like the best is how my truck shifts now.My mileage has gone from 15mpg to 17 mpg in mixed driving.
The only problem I am having is that I think I am wearing out my rear tires doing burnouts.
----------------
1999 F-150 4x4 4.6 V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue 2 tone, Blue captains chairs,Xtang cover,mirror bra's Tubular cab steps.
Bassani cat back,superchip, WMS Velocity tube with K&N filter.

Old 12-09-1999, 10:29 PM
Mike Troyer,
I have a 99 lightning, does the advantages of your chip hold true for these also? Alot of the lightning owners run sals chips, what are your advantages over the psp chip?

------------------
99 red lightening,psp filter kit
2-2000 arctic cat zr440 snopro's
built 5-26-99, #1610
2000 super duty v10

Old 12-09-1999, 10:53 PM
mike,
What happens when you don't run high octane gas? Also if I put this in my truck will it make my truck smoke the tires rather than just a slight squeek?

------------------
99 black f150 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
k&n air filter, headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom exhaust.
internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs in custom built boxs, and 400 watt amp.

Old 12-10-1999, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Bggroth,

The Superchip Flip Chip for the Lightning does all that and more. It might surprise you to know that our company (Performance Products) has supplied more performance chips for the new Lightning than any other company or individual. It carries CARB EO certification, as do all Superchips for all 1985-2000 Ford vehicles, and is 50-state emissions certified.

The Superchip adds power *all* the time, and not just on heavy throttle, so you will feel it working *all* the time. From 1200 rpm on up, you will have more power at any throttle position, while maintaining a perfectly smooth character when you are driving conservatively. So whether you're putting along at 25, or making a run down the dragstrip, there is always more power on tap, under every condition and circumstance, a hallmark of Superchips programming. Superchips *invented* the performance chip concept, just to give you an idea of who they are. They're the only aftermarket programming firm in the world hired directly by the automakers themselves for programming services.

One example of it's performance is that most stock Lightnings making their rated 360 hp will burn rubber for about 10 feet off the line, then hook up; with the Superchip, you'll burn rubber for 50-60 feet, so you'll need to adjust your starting line technique at the drag strip. This power is easily modulated with your right foot, but you'll definitely notice it right away.

The downshift delays are removed, the spark retards are removed, the upshift delays are removed, and many other improvements made that improve overall driveability very noticeably.

It's probably best to just give me a call, so I can go over all the details with you, as it's far too much material to cover here. Our number is below!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-10-1999, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Christrucker,

Not using premium gas with a Superchip will cause no power gain for openers, and can cause spark knock, or detonation. Remember, it's a performance chip that tunes the engine *specifically* for the use of premium fuel, so you have to use the proper fuel or you won't get the power gain. About half of these trucks can be run on regular (87) without detonation with the Superchip, (somethng I do NOT recommend) and the other half will spark knock with anything less than 91-92 in the tank, so there is quite a bit of variance in the effective adjustment range of these knock sensor systems.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-10-1999, 04:10 PM
PS,

Nope, 99.9 % use the superchip

Old 12-10-1999, 04:35 PM
fast46triton, that was going to be next guess.

Old 12-10-1999, 09:10 PM
Question

Can anyone tell me if the performance chip bought for a 5.4L 98 F250 would work for a 97 5.4L Expy? I have the opportunity to pick up this chip for a good price from a friend selling his truck - (for an F350 Dually with the diesel )

[This message has been edited by rikker (edited 12-10-1999).]

Quick Reply: which chip is the best?