Superchips & Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchips & Top Speed

Mike,
I've seen blurbs about the governor and/or top speed limiter being changed by the Superchip. Exactly what real-world effect (i.e., in m.p.h.) does the standard Superchip for the Y2K 5.4 have on top speed?
The Superchips site says,
"All the vehicles have a top speed cut-off. If you would like the cut off moved our technicians have the capability of moving it to a higher mph if the original cut-off point can be found'."
Question: Can be found by whom? And if it's by Superchips, why might they not be able to find it?
The idea of a speed limiter is gross to me. Even if I never go above 80, I'd like the idea that flat out would be just that.
Thanks,
BEJohn

Old 12-20-1999, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've heard and experienced, the current F150's have a top speed limiter build into the computer. It kicks in at around 100mph. Some speculate that it's there because the tires are not high speed rated. When I received my Superchip, the note on it said "Top Speed Limiter Removed". No, I've not tried to check if it's true yet.
Fritz

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x2 ExtCab Styleside 4.6 Auto in Island Blue
Superchip, K&N & Airbox Mod, LeBra soft tonneau, LineX and bugshield
Clifford Alarm, Blaupunkt CD, Pyramid amps, JBL component speakers

Old 12-20-1999, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Big Easy John,

All automakers are using top speed limiters on all but their highest-performance vehicles these days, and they've been doing it for as long as there have been computer controls, which date back to the early 80's. It's done to keep them from having to use higher speed-rated tires on their "non-performance vehicles".

What the top speed limiter does is simply shut off fuel flow, immediately and totally the way Ford has implemented it, and in my humble opinion, it's dangerous. It's not a smart "soft-limiter" type, though Ford is supposed to be implementing that type of limiter on more of their vehicles, only a few have the soft limiters right now) it's an instant fuel shutoff, so it almost feels like you hit the brakes, dangerous at those speeds if you're not ready for it.

So the Superchip removes the TS limiter, if it can be found in the factory code by the Superchip technicians, which they almost always can. Sometimes on a brand new vehicle, it will take them awhile before they have the TS limiter knocked out for a particular code, and it's always a free upgrade.

To date, there have been no reports of any vehicle damage as a result of having the top speed limiter removed. Nobody has blown up any u-joints, or anything like that. That kind of thing only happens at a certain harmonic frequency, by the way. There are plenty of scare stories around though, that's for sure, we hear them all the time too. Fred was kind enough in his response to mention the story about the Tbird ujoints. Interestingly, we've had that same vehicle,(89-93 Tbird) and almost every vehicle in the MN12 platform ('94 & up Tbirds, & all Mark 8's)up to speeds in excess of 160 mph with no u-joint or any other failures. By the way, most Tbird 4.6 automatics have a relatively high TS limiter, set at 124 mph. Like Fred said about his '92, they'll easily run 135 plus with the limiter removed. And later ones will run 140 mph! However, all that being said, any vehicle that we set up for really big top speed numbers (150+) that are going to be sustained for any length of time, we set up with NASCAR aluminum driveshafts & ujoints just as a precaution.

Now in the real world, these late-model V-8 F-150's will run anywhere from 115 to 125 mph with just the addition of the Superchip. That's plenty fast enough in that type of vehicle!! Unless you upgrade the tires, you don't want to spend much time above 100 mph in these big heavy trucks. (Unless you happen to be Neal the HP Freak, of course!)

Fred made a very good point when he mentioned the automakers point of view. You will find that these top speed limiters are generally set to coincide with the speed rating of the tires for that vehicle. So for the F-150, your top speed limiter is set from the factory to anywhere from 98 to 108 mph. Most of them are set at 98 mph, so when you hit about 100 indicated, the engine shuts down until you drop below that speed, then it comes back on.

In so-called performance vehicles, there is generally no top speed limiter, or it will be set to a high number. Lincoln Mark 8's get a 130 mph limiter, the Northstar Caddies get 155 mph limiters. Corvettes don't get any limiter, like the '96 & up Mustang Cobra. The Lightning has no top speed limiter either, go figure!

I hope that sheds a bit more light on this for you, Big John.

Merry Christmas,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-20-1999, 04:13 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the response, Mike. I have a as-yet-unbuilt 5.4L Lariat Flareside on order, and will in all likelihood be ordering a Superchip as soon as I can establish a mental baseline for the stock truck. I drove one around a couple days before I ordered mine and was not impressed with the transmission's shift characteristics, either; so I'm looking forward to the chip curing multiple ailments!
I take it when I order the chip, I must specify that I want the limiter removed, and then be prepared to wait a little longer if my box has not been done before? That would be no problem.
Thanks again, and thanks to White Knight and Fritz.
BEJohn

Old 12-20-1999, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're very welcome, BEJ! Yeah, most other owners aren't exactly thrilled over the programming of that automatic transmission, either. The 2000's automatics use even less line pressure than the 97 thru 99 trucks, so they are pretty sloppy from the factory!

Merry Christmas, and congratulations on your new truck when you get it!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-21-1999, 12:21 AM
Talking

I know this wasnt asked to me but here is some insite I found out by my Ford dealer. The 92 Thunderbird I owned about 6 months ago before i traded it in. Had a speed limitor on it that prevented it from going over 120mph. I put the chip in and it removed that limitor and pinned the needle at 135+ indicated.

Now I talked with a Ford machanic and found out some info about my car. The reason for the limitor just on my Tbird was the U-Joint in the rear was only made to go up to 120mph. There has been talk (I didnt find information) that after 120mph a u-joint can break and peices can puncture the gas tank. IE. explosion? This is why some manufactors do what they do. To prevent law suites and what not. Also I am sure the government likes getting there hands into it and making sure these things cant be a 160 mph dagger

------------------
Fred Folkerts/Chicago IL
1997 Ford 150XLT Black
5.4 TRiTiON/4x4 Off Road

Old 12-22-1999, 12:21 AM
Yeah like I was saying about the U-joints in the TBIRD.. its something that i was told and never got any information on.

I totally aggree with Mike when it comes to speed limitors that just going flat is not a cool thing. Can possibly cause a accident if your in a turn at a high rate of speed.. even if its a huge sweeper. It can through off balance and what not.

Well anyways get a chip.. get rid of the speed limitor and you will be happy

------------------
Fred Folkerts/Chicago IL
1997 Ford 150XLT Black
5.4 TRiTiON/4x4 Off Road

Quick Reply: Superchips & Top Speed