Another ? for Mike T.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-1999, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Another ? for Mike T.

In reguards to the post I put on the Other Driveline board about the recalibration of the PCM to correct the downshift clunk in the 5.4L/4R70W trucks.
I have that same clunk in a 4.6L/4R70W and the mechanic who recently installed a new driveshaft and slip-yoke said that he didn't think it would fix the clunk (and he was right), he said he thought the shiftpoint for the downshift was set to low. If it was set just 5mph higher we would never hear the clunk.
now for my question:

Will a Superchip in a 4.6L/4R70W alter the downshift parameters in the computer to eliminate that clunk.

thanks in advance,
Hobbit

99 XLT,4.6L,auto,tow package,3.55 rear,factory side steps and mudflaps,K&N,BugflectorII,soon to be Pace Edwards Roll Top cover, Amazon Green/Silver,
maybe a Superchip if it will get rid of that darn clunk.

Old 12-20-1999, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Hobbit,

I'm not going to promise anyone that a Superchip is going to fix any kind of "clunk" you have going on!

The Superchip is not going to change the speed at which your transmission downshifts when you are decelerating, such as when you come to a stop, for example.

It's probably best to give me a call so we can discuss exactly what's going on, it's far too much to try and type back and forth here, so just give me a call, and then I can tell you for sure whether or not the Superchip is going to have any effect on what you want it to.

Merry Christmas,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-20-1999, 05:37 PM
thanks for the reply Mike, I know you cant make any promises on such a sketchy post as the one I recently submitted. Not sure whether my trucks problem is mechanical or digital (computer generated). When I decide if the chip is the way to go I will be giving you a call.

Thanks again:

Hobbit

Old 12-21-1999, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor
HI Hobbit,

Sure, no problem! You're right of course, it was a brief description you made in that post, so I really don't know just what it is you are experiencing. Feel free to give me a call about this clunk, and I'll be happy to give you yet another opinion about it if I can. And if at some point in the future you're interested in the Superchip, that's fine too. In other words, I'm happy to talk to you about this, without trying to sell you a chip, so give me a shout if you like, I'll be happy to try and help.

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-21-1999, 09:58 PM
Thanks again Mike for your response.
To be a little less sketchy, I have been following the posts about the "dreaded driveline clunk" on the Other Drivetrain board. Particularly Bob's F150 string about clunking during a downshift at 22 mph. I have been complaining about this since day one to 3 different dealers, all on deaf ears.
Finally,armed with the slip-yoke info off this site I convinced a Licoln/Mercury dealer I've bought cars form in the past to replace the slip yoke. they went one better and replaced the drive shaft assembly (yoke,shaft and 2 u-joints). Unfortunately, it still clunks. The mechanic said the he believed the problem was the computer's calibration of downshift points, if the 4/3 downshift was set just 5mph higher there would be no perceivable clunk, and that could only be changed by a release of a new calibration code by the factory. As stated in another of my posts on the Other Drivetrain board, a new TSB has been issued to address this problem in the 5.4L. No fix yet available for the 4.6. Also in that same string, (Bob's F150), RLAFOND said that he had the same clunk that went away after the chip install.

These are the things that started my brain juices flowing. After reading through all the great posts about the superchip I might go ahead and splurge anyway. Probably gonna have to wait till my wallet recovers after the holidays. Just wanted to fill you in on the details and I expect I will be calling you after the holidays.

Have a great Christmas!

Hobbit AKA Dave M.

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Nerf Bars and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, soon to be Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, maybe a Superchip

Old 12-22-1999, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Hobbit,

OK, thanks for that more detailed post, now I understand what you mean much better. I have heard a few people say that this was affected favorably by the Superchip, but if so, it's probably by accident!

Man, do I ever know about needing some wallet recovery from Christmas!! I have this confident feeling that my wife's Ranger is going to be running much better as a result. It's a good thing I didn't take the plunge and get the supercharger for my car, I came very close, and the wife actually OK'd it. But I let my silly priorities get in the way again, so maybe later this year.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Another ? for Mike T.