Some modifications( Mr. Troyer)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some modifications( Mr. Troyer)

um i have a 1999 5.4 standard cab short bed, what chip,intake, and exhaust would help me the most, id prefer true duals and i know about the torque loss and that you prefer magnaflow, but if i ran 2 1/4 inch piping would that keep the great sound and the torque and hp gains. if so what mufflers or muffler should i use, and if not what dual outlet pipe should i use. ive heard alot about the 9100 being a good thing along with the AF1 intake. I plan on purchasing all this from you thanks mr. troyer

Old 04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bigshowdawg,

That gets into matters well outside the scope of the Computer Chips section, my friend - so I'll give you some brief info for right now, & then you can give us a call at our number listed below to go over all of this in proper detail.

In terms of the tuning, what will get you the best power & performance gains is to have us do a custom tune for your truck, which we can do in either a traditional "chip" or the newer flash type products, like our Micro Tuner. Our in-depth custom tuning will deliver more power & performance - usually at least another 10-12 HP & 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile times as compared to the gains from our "standard" 1715 Micro Tuner, for example. So most people are having us do the custom tuning for them, to get maximum performance gains and the best driveability on part-throttle, too.

To get a good idea of what to use for the best intake & exhaust systems, drop by our web site to read up on our Stage 1 package at this link: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...ogno=Stage1-MT

That is our Stage 1 package using the "standard" Superchips 1715 Micro Tuner for the performance tuning, the best intake kit & the best cat-back exhaust system, all in one package including shipping to anywhere in the 48 states. If you wanted the *additional* power & performance gains from our custom tuning like most others do, then we can do a small price adjustment to that package so you get the custom tuning in our 9100 custom Micro Tuner instead of the "standard" 1715 Micro Tuner.

On the exhaust, just briefly......................

I do not recommend doing a true dual exhaust, even with a 2.25" tube diameter - remember, your stock exhaust is all 2.5", starting from the downtubes, the 4 catalytic converters and the y-pipe assembly, as well as the cat-back portion of the exhaust. So you can't just replace the cat-back portion of the exhaust, you would have to do it *all*, including new custom downtubes, smaller inlet/outlet high-flow catalytic converters, etc. This means it's going to be a LOT more expensive than doing a properly flow-engineered cat-back exhaust system like Magnaflow, to do it right.

We recommend doing true duals only when you are willing to spend a lot of $$$ doing long-tube headers, high flow cats, a top-shelf X-pipe, etc. We do have such a package - it's *custom,* not a bolt-on deal, that is what I use on my truck, as does Neal & a few others here. But overall, very few people are going to put upwards of $2K in their exhaust like us racers will, so unless you're willing to spend a LOT of $$$ on doing a true-dual setup "right," steer clear and just use a properly flow-engineered cat-back system, and perhaps a better Y-pipe intersection, etc. - we can go over all of that with you when you call. We also have a nice single in dual out system that will give you the look & sound of true duals, but avoid the loss of torque and get excellent HP gains.

To go over all of this in proper detail, just give us a call at our number listed below.

Thanks for your post & we look forward to working with you!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well ive try to call alot but ur never there i did kinda stretch it out a little but i knew youd give me a good answer i live in north AL so i cant really drive out there but i was planning on getting AF1,SI/DO magnaflow system,and so chip but i doubt i can go out there

Old 04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi bigshowdawg,

No problem, you're just trying to get the info you need!

You're right, I am out of the office sometimes (though we always have staff here), as we do a lot of tuning, dyno work, R&D, and traveling to get all that done, which facilitates us being able to do the kinds of things we do. If you'd like to discuss this with me, just give us a call when you get a chance, and tell our staff your F-150 Online screen name and that I asked you to call for me - they'll put you thru to me if I'm in, or take a message with your name & number if I'm out or on another call, so I can return your call. We'll find a way for you and I can communicate & get you all the info you need & want - and thanks for your interest!

Sounds like you've had a chance to review our Stage 1 package info on our web site, so you know what we recommend for the intake & exhaust.

That leaves the tuning - that's where we should spend some time going over, so we can talk about the additional benefits of having us to the in-depth custom tuning versus having you use one of the "standard" Superchips products - which work fine of course, it's just that we can get even more power & performance via our custom tuning, for those who are willing to spend a little more and get more power. To do that in proper detail, I need to know the computer code of your vehicle, which is easy to find - just open the front passenger door, look in the front part of the door frame (in the general area of the door hinges), and look for a small sticker that has 3 letters followed by 1 number on it - like TBL2, SVB1, UEV3, etc. - there are hundreds of different codes, all in that same format of 3 letters and 1 number.

With that info, I can then take a look in your program and go over with you roughly how much more additional power & performance gain we can get via our custom tuning for your specific truck. On average, it's usually at least another 10-12 HP, and another 3-5 tenths off the 1/4 mile times over what the 1715 Micro Tuner will do, for example - so most people are going that route, and having us do the custom tune. There are a number of posts here from other F-150 Online members like "openclasspro" and "watsonr" who have used both the "standard" Superchips tuning products (both the traditional "chip" and the 1715 Micro Tuner) and then who both upgraded to our custom tuning, and posted their impressions & results. You can either scan the recent thread titles, or just use the search feature to retrieve those recent posts, it's a good read with excellent info. You'll find that so far, everyone who has tried both has been delighted with the additional performance we get via our custom tuning.

Thanks for your interest, & I look forward to speaking with you!

Quick Reply: Some modifications( Mr. Troyer)