hey mike, nice chip, but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post hey mike, nice chip, but...

Got my chip Christmas morning and quickly went to work. I went to put the chip in and noticed that it wasnt going all the way in. I didnt want to force it, so I took it out and discovered something...When the local TV repair man soldered my contacts, he must have left 2 nice beads on there because it seems that it wont allow the superchip to be fully seated!!! I put the chip back on and taped it pretty solid. There is still about a 1/8 inch gap between the chip and the computer shell. Anyway, I put it all back together and crossed my fingers. The truck fired right up, so I figured it must be working. The truck seems stronger, but Im wondering if the chip is not working to its full potential. Any suggestions???

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40
PREMIUM SOUND W/CHANGER
PIONEER 6815's(for now)

Old 12-27-1999, 04:01 PM
BLACKENEDFORD 1/8" gap is no problem as long as the chip contacts are seated well on the computer contacts. I have about 1/4" to 3/8" gap between my chip and computer housing.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Pioneer DEH P4000, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 12-27-1999, 06:58 PM
BlackeneFord,

If your truck started then it's working. There is no "partial," it's either on or off.

Wouldn't hurt to reseat it in a few weeks or to check it again.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 12-28-1999, 02:19 PM
Talking

Gap? what gap? Through some JB weld in between the cracks.. that will fix her right up .

BTW: I AM JUST KIDDING!

------------------
Fred Folkerts/Chicago IL
1997 Ford 150XLT Black
5.4 TRiTiON/4x4 Off Road

Old 12-29-1999, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Blackened,

Yes, it's common to have up to 1/4" gap at the top of the module, between the back of the computer and the back of the module. There is a good bit of variance in the actual dimensions of the edge connector, you see, and so you can end up with anything from it being flush, to having as much as a 1/4" gap at the top, and that's fine. The main thing is just that the slot on the module is fully seated on the edge connector. The effective length of the edge connector varies, and so that's why you have the variance, as the Superchip module is manufactured to the middle of these tolerances.

As others have already responded, as long as the vehicle starts with the Superchip installed, it's working, there is no in-between, it's all or nothing.

I'm glad you got it in time for Christmas. Have fun with it, and have a great New Years!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: hey mike, nice chip, but...