6.0 Powerstroke diesel tuning - now taking orders!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
6.0 Powerstroke diesel tuning - now taking orders!

2004 6.0 PSD owners,

We're now taking orders for the new 1704 Superchips Micro Tuner for the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel - F-250's, F-350's, Excursions, vans with PSD's, etc.

This new 1704 Micro Tuner can be used on 6.0 Powerstroke diesel vehicles built AFTER 9/29/03.

2003 6.0's may be supported later, but not at this time due to the FACTORY problem many of the earlier builds have with leaking fuel injectors causing large amounts of diesel fuel to collect in the crankcase & oil pan, requiring extremely expensive engine replacements under warranty.

The power gains are as follows:

1.) Towing Program - adds 80 HP & 120 lbs./ft. of torque. This program allows safe towing all the way up to the factory rated towing limit of your vehicle, & no other modifications are required. Ensures safe EGT's at the limit and good fuel mileage.

2.) Economy Program - adds a whopping 120 HP & 180+ lbs/ft. of torque! This program is designed to give you the best combination of power gains and excellent fuel economy. Towing capacity is reduced to not more than 8000 lbs maximum towed weight.

3.) Performance Program - adds a gigantic 150 HP & 225 lbs./ft. of torque! This is for all-out performance, while still maintaining safe EGT's, and there have been lighter (but still 4WD) SuperDuty's literally running 14-second 1/4 mile times with this tuning in testing! Towing capacity is limited to not more than 6000 lbs.

To maximize the benefits of any of these 3 different programs, have the lowest EGT's and get even larger power gains, an intake kit and a free-flowing exhaust system can also be used (all of those parts are also available from us).

The 1704 Micro Tuner also has a built in OBD-II code scanner that allows you to retrieve and clear OBD-II DTC's (drivetrain trouble codes) in your 6.0 Powerstroke diesel's CAN (Controller Area Network) vehicle.

For further specific questions, please take a look at our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com - or give us a call at our number listed below, & we'll be happy to help.

Note: Please do *not* ask us for pricing information here - as always, it is against the rules of F-150 Online for us to discuss any specific parts pricing here on the message boards. Be aware that anyone making such a post will be told to go back and re-read *this* post. Please call us or drop by our web site for that information, & thanks in advance for your understanding & cooperation in helping us follow the rules of our favorite web site.

As with all the "standard" Superchips products (meaning that does NOT apply to the #5500, #6600 or #9100 Superchips Custom Tuning products), calling us gets F-150 Online members their best pricing. Before calling us, please make sure you have registered to be able to post on these message boards and have your F-150 Online screen name handy when you order, so we can verify your registration status and make sure you get your special F-150 Online member discount. Remember, that is available only by *calling* us, due to the manufacturer's MAP (minimum advertised price) guidelines!

This product is also available for online ordering thru this link: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...catalogno=1704

Ordering thru our online ordering system gets you free OVERNIGHT SHIPPING for normal weekday deliveries, meaning Monday thru Friday - Saturday delivery is available in most areas, at additional cost.

These units start shipping this coming Monday (May 3rd). We just finished our recommendations with regards to certain aspects of the tuning literally just today with the people whose work timetables determine just when these units can actually start shipping.

Lots of people have already pre-ordered these units, so you 6.0 PSD owners will want to get your order in as soon as possible in order to avoid shipping delays due to the huge demand for this long-awaited new Superchips product for the 6.0 Powerstroke diesel.

Now you 6.0 PSD owners can enjoy even LARGER power & performance gains in your 6.0 PSD than what we have been delivering for years in the 7.3L PSD's - Superchips, the best PSD tuning money can buy!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 04-28-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mike! My dad is possibly going to get a chip for his diesel. He's been looking into the Banks Six-Gunner with the Quick loader thing (of course with exhaust mods), but he's discovered they're not available for the 7.3L yet, if at all. What kind of gains was the 7.3 seeing?

-Flea

Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Are there any graphs available showing hp/trq curves? I'd like to know where the power is before pulling the trigger. Also, have you heard about any shifting issues? Most of the other companies are still battling the tranny shifting issues.

Thx!

Old 04-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Forget the diesels Mike, how about the 2004 F150's? I got some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Hello Nabber, Flea & everyone,

1.) No, we do not supply "graphs" for all the manufacturers products - that's *their* job, not ours. With the 10,000+ different parts we carry, we'd have to have a big building and a large staff just to keep track of them - that's for manufacturer's to do, if they care to. And with Superchips, given all of the 14,000+ applications that Superchips has developed over the years, which is orders of magnitude more than any chipmaker has ever developed, even they do not try store or distribute on demand even a fraction of those 28,000+ dyno graphs (2 each, just for the final before & after!) - and that's not even taking into consideration of all the dozens to hundreds of graphs generated during the R&D of each and every one of those applications.

To expand on that just a bit, the reality is anyone that knows anything about dyno data knows it means virtually *nothing* in a street-driven vehicle anyway. Why? Because such a DYNO PLOT ONLY SHOWS WIDE-OPEN THROTTLE DATA! Even the most aggressive driver does not spend so much as 1% of their time behind the wheel at wide-open throttle (and anyone thinking that they do is only fooling themselves), thus a "dyno graph" just doesn't mean much on a street-driven vehicle, as it does not represent the conditions the vehicle is operated under over 99% of the time - it's full-throttle data only, and you don't even spend 1% of your driving time there.

Anyone with any experience in modifying vehicles for more performance would do *back flips* to get even 1/3 that much power gain for that tiny cost - let alone the 150 HP gains this unit delivers. Plain and simple - the Superchips performance tuning for the 6.0 PSD is the best performance bargain you'll ever get. There is nothing else you can do to that PSD that will yield that kind of gigantic power & performance gain (to say nothing of the typical 2-4 more mpg) for anywhere near that tiny cost.

2.) No, we do not have "shifting problems."

3.) For power gains on the 7.3L PSD, just drop by our web site at www.TroyerPerformance.com and read up on the #1705 Micro Tuner - all the details are right there, 24 hrs. a day.

Enjoy your weekend,

Old 04-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by FleasF-150eatshondas
Hey Mike! My dad is possibly going to get a chip for his diesel. He's been looking into the Banks Six-Gunner with the Quick loader thing (of course with exhaust mods), but he's discovered they're not available for the 7.3L yet, if at all. What kind of gains was the 7.3 seeing?

-Flea
Flea,

The Six Gun and Speed Loader upgrade are only for the current diesels including the DMax, Cummins and now 6.0 PSD. However, no one really knows when they will start shipping them. Most of the power pack is supposed to start shipping in about 2 weeks and the rest in July-Aug time frame. That's leads me to beleive they'll have the Six Gun and Speed Loader out soon. Banks says a hand full are on the strrets local to them, but dealers/retailers dont' have them and so far, dont' know when to expect them. Banks says it'll take 30 days min. to fill current back-orders.

Also keep in mind the Back Six Gun is over $700 and the Speed Loader is about $100 so it's over $800.

They already have products out for the 7.3 as does SC but you won't see the kind of power gains that are being had with the 6.0. Ask most any 6.0 owner that traded up from a 7.3 and they'll tell you a modified 7.3 is no match for a stock 6.0. But then you have the die hard 7.3 guys that swear by them.

I'd suggest to Dad to try out the SC 1705!!

Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Are these chips Ford approved? I have heard some dealers and Ford are putting there foot down on people modify there SD to become dragsters.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by mightbuyaford
Are these chips Ford approved? I have heard some dealers and Ford are putting there foot down on people modify there SD to become dragsters.
That's nothing new and shouldn't surprise anyone. You tear it up, you fix it. Ford shouldn't. On the other hand, with the right aftermarket products, you shouldn't tear it up if they are used responsibly.

But think about plugging in over 100 HP or over 200 lbs of torque and how many people can refrain from acting irresponsible, at least a little

Old 05-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Ok, speaking of irresponsible So yes, I lit up both rear tires and had them bawling through 1st and 2nd gear this morning! I won't let it happen again.

Superchips 1704 is in and I got the GRIN !

ON EDIT
I've had a chance to run to the store etc. a few times and find an opportunity or 2 to stand on it a little, briefly and all I can say is that it should be illegal to allow an 8000# truck to have this much SICK power!! Unbeilevable.

I have to look at my drivers licence to remind myself of my age so I can remember how I should act, and drive. I'm sure I'll get over it and settle down a little.

Last edited by FamilyRide; 05-06-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi everyone,

Family Ride..............

It's wonderful to see you dropping by again - thanks for your posts, as always - and for your order. Glad you're enjoying the new 1704 Micro Tuner for your 6.0 PSD, & good luck with your rear tire life!

To "Nabber".............

I also wanted to expand a bit on my response to "Nabber" above - I went back and re-read it and thought it just might be construed as perhaps being a bit "dismissive" by someone not thinking as we do. Those not knowing what we do about the product will tend to have different perspectives sometimes. Aside from the logistical nightmare on our end as I discussed above just briefly in talking about the dyno plots, our thinking on this is simply that we're talking about *HUGE* power gains at a cost that is next to nothing - to the point that it's what we refer to as a "no-brainer." Getting 150 HP for a few hundred dollars is a "no brainer" in terms of that being a worthwhile performance part, as nothing else will do that - there simply is not better performance enhancement value than the optimized powertrain programming in the 1704, as nothing else for the same or less cost will add as much power or performance gain. Which is why PSD owners, especially those towing, tend to use our Micro Tuners in droves, and they can't wait for the release a new product like this. Superchips is already behind in manufacturing of this unit, they can't make enough of them right now, literally! It's the single most common performance mod done to those PSD vehicles, due to it's outrageous bang-for-the-buck value. I just wanted to explain our perspective on that a bit better......................

On the shifting issue which you asked about specifically Nabber, we've got control over the shifting, where others do nothing at all to change transmission shifting characteristics, they're generally only adding fuel to the motor, basically. One occasional shifting complaint from 6.0 PSD owners is the 3-5 shift, where that 6-speed tranny (which acts like a 5-speed) skips 4th gear on the upshift, causing a bit of a "bog" when it lands in 5th at lower speeds. We've done a nice optimization of those characteristics, I think you'll find it's a very nice setup.

To "mightbuyaford" :

Automakers don't test & review the various performance parts made by the aftermarket for their vehicles. That's literally hundreds of thousands of performance parts, if not millions - and no automaker does that kind of testing, reviewing, etc. They're in the business of manufacturing & selling motor vehicles, not testing aftermarket performance parts, so you're generally not going to find any "automaker approved" performance parts - unless *they* sell them.

To learn more about your rights under the law regarding modifications and their effect on your warranty, drop by www.sema.org - read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act & all the other info you'll find there on this topic. We have them (SEMA) to thank for many of our rights in this regard.

To Flea..................

As Family Ride suggested, the hop tip is to go with the 1705 Micro Tuner - it's a lot less expensive, has multiple tunes, and the built-on OBD-II code scanner that can be used on virtually any OBD-II FoMoCo vehicle (except the 6.0 PSD and the 2004 F-150, which are "CAN" vehicles). In fact, Superchips was called in by Gales Banks Engineering to do *their* tuning for the 7.3 PSD years ago, back in the mid-90's when the 7.3L PSD first came out! Superchips is the originator of performance tuning for the Powerstroke series of Ford diesels. Here's the link on our web site for the specific power gains from each program, features, etc.: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...catalogno=1705 - and remember, to get your best pricing on the 1705, give us a call.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Old 05-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Nabber,

Regarding the dyno graphs, you may have already read on the other board but SC will be posting dyno graphs sometime soon.

Until then, I just learned that the NTPSA (North Texas Power Strokes) is having a dyno day, and it's only about 15-20 minutes from where I live. I may just drop by next Saturday and give it a shot. You may also have seen that a local module maker has offered to pay my fee if the SC 1704 does indeed make the numbers advertised. That may be a little unfair since there is such variation in power from one 6.0 to another 6.0 so if I happen to have a stronger one, the gains may not be as great, but the power is still there. We'll see. I just know that the power requires "responsibility"! They might ought to do like I think Bob is doing now when he builds big-power for someones boat and go through some safety and responsibility basics.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Powerstroke diesel tuning - now taking orders!