Superchip Installed! Results Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Superchip Installed! Results Inside!

Ok UPS brought me my new Superchip today right before it turned dark. So I took my truck over to my buddies garage and went to work. First I unhooked the parking brake warning wire. Then took off the plastic kick panel. Then took out the 3 bolts that hold the parking brake assembly in place. This was a total pain and took every bit of 15mins to take out 3 bolts because of their position. After I got the assembly out of the way. I could see the box, and I seen the siler sticker covering the hole on the side of the box. I took off the sticker and wiped the grease off the contacts then cleaned them really good with the little green scrubber thing that comes with the chip.

Then I got the chip out of the box, took the label blocking the contacts off of it and installed it. And taped it down, i couldn't find any duct tape so I had to use packing tape like you tape boxes up with, i hope it doesn't come loose I then started the truck up and it idled pretty rough but I figured the computer needed reset. So i unhooked the battery cable then let it sit unhooked for a few minutes while I put the parking brake assembly and kick panel back in place. Then I went back up and hooked the battery up and started the truck. It idled just like normal then. Backed it out of the garage.

Then i let it sit and idle for about 10 mins then hopped in and went for a spin! First thing I noticed was how much more power the truck had on take off. Before the chip it would barely spin the tires on take off from a dead stop at WOT. Now with the chip it spins them much easier. Now I only have to give about 3/4 throttle to get the same results I did before. Next after it got traction I noticed how quick it got to 60mph. I think it has dropped about 0.8secs off my 0-60 time. I will try to find out exactly tommorow. The truck is just overall much more responsive. It also seems to rev quicker than before.

This chip is not an absolute miracle but it did more than I expected it to. I am very pleased with it. The power it gives is worth way more than $225 I would pay $300 for it, (but that would be kinda stupid hehe). I really like the chip and installation only took about 1 full hour. If you are thinking about getting a Superchip then think no more! BUY ONE!

Now do you guys think that the chip will be OK with the packing tape on it? It didn't slide all the way into the computer there is about an 1/8" gap between the box and the chip. Think the packing tape will hold it?

Thanks Mike (Superchips_Distributor) for a great product and all of your help!

Old 12-31-1999, 10:12 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW325,

Well as I see it, if I tell you to duct tape it you have to take everything off to do it. If you wait till if malfunctions you still have to take it all apart. You could wait or do it now. You might have to wait a long time. One word of caution. On my 97 it came loose and i finally modified it so it would not.(long story) When it malfunctions just pray you are not trying do drive in such a way that it could be dangerous for it to malfunction. Like passing on a 2 lane hwy. So take it out and tape it properly.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
SmittyBilt Nerfs, Borla Cat Back
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube,
Superchips

Old 12-31-1999, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear BMW325,

Very nicely detailed post! With regards to the issue of taping it, I do that on all my installs on pickup trucks and SUV's, as they tend to see much rougher use than passenger cars. I don't use duct tape, I use clear scotch tape, so you can't see it, it works very well even in extreme cold, and looks much neater.

Keep in mind that there is usually going to be a bit of a gap between the top of the module and the back of the computer, and you should *never* try to force the back of the chip all the way back up against the computer. What matters is that the bottom of the Superchip, where the slot is, is pressed all the way on to the edge connector. The actual dimensions of the box for the Ford computers varies a bit, as do the dimensions of the edge connector itself, so that you can end up with a result ranging anywhere from the Superchip being flush with the back of the computer, to having as much as 1/4" gap at the top of the module. What Superchips does is to manufacture the module to the middle of these tolerances, so they'll work on all vehicles.

I think your packing tape will probably hold it just fine. It's not like the Superchip will fall off or anything without the tape, it's just a precaution because of the rougher use that most of these vehicles will see over their lifetime. Remember, the slot on the Superchip "grips" the edge connector. Because of variances in the actual thickness of the edge connector, some Superchips can over a period of time, slowly back off from the back of the computer if they are not taped. So overall, it's pretty rare to have the Superchip come loose, but it can happen over time if the edge connector is a bit thinner than normal, so that's why we recomend using a little tape to keep it in place.

Just a little perspective, and have fun with your new Superchip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 12-31-1999, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok just got back from a nice long drive with the Superchip. Along with my dad in the truck to Heh my dad is 42 and seeing as I kicked the truck down everywhere I went he made the comment that he was starting to have flashbacks of his Ford Torino 429 heh he used to be a big time Ford Muscle Car man but those days are long passed now. He's more of a normal car guy. Hehe but anyways even with both of us in the truck I could still tell a huge difference in power!

For example there is one hill here on a road I travel often. The speed limit is 55mph so I usually have my cruise set at 60mph. In OverDrive. Now with only me in the truck the truck will kick itself into drive 3 times (BEFORE THE CHIP) until it gets to the top of the hill when the cruise is on. So now (AFTER THE CHIP) with both me and my dad in the truck it only kicked down to drive 1 TIME! So hopefully this will also save a good amount of wear on my trans to I also noticed a little better gas mileage not much but I think it is a little better.

The truck is tons more responsive to, when I kick it down it goes. I'm very satisfied. It runs much smoother also. Overall I am VERY SATISFIED! I love this chip it woke my little 5.0 up

[This message has been edited by BMW325 (edited 12-31-1999).]

Old 01-02-2000, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice post, that's exactly what the Superchip is supposed to do! I'm glad you're enjoying it, BMW325!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Superchip Installed! Results Inside!