Superchip and error codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip and error codes?

Okay, I have a question!

After reading all the posts and paranoia about warranties and superchips I got to wondering....

Someone mentioned removing the superchip prior to bringing their truck in to be serviced. This sounds like the easiest way to avoid problems with dealerships (what they don't know don't hurt them)! But, does the superchip leave any tell tale signs behind after it's been installed and then removed? Would the dealership be able to determine a superchip had been installed by reading the codes stored in the computer? And, if they really got energetic, would they claim that cleaning the resin off the computer contacts (needed to install the chip) would void the warranty? It seems some of these dealerships can be real weenies!

Just curious!

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner...
More to come

Old 01-09-2000, 10:30 PM
I have a scan tool and I scanned my trucks computer and it didn't show any codes with the chip installed. But, that does not mean the dealerships scanner will not know something is up.

Old 01-10-2000, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Paul,

No, once you remove the Superchip, they have no way of knowing it was there. The computer does not store any type of hidden codes to tell on you.

There is also *nothing* on or in that computer that is dealer-serviceable, with one exception. The only thing a Ford dealer can do is to reflash it with a different code if there is some problem to be fixed by doing so, and even then, they use a completely different method, and a completely different location to connect for communications. They reflash the computer thru the ALDL serial port up under the dash for all 1996 & later vehicles sold in the US. This ALDL connector is part of the OBD-II specification, to provide a universal communications port so that independant shops can do the same work as the dealers. The only other thing they do is replace them should they fail, which is very rare. So aside from reflashing a computer to a newer factory code to fix a problem, or replacing a failed unit, there is no service work they can do to the computer, due to it's design. This is the way most vehicles are these days.

So no, there is no "tell-tale" retained in the computer once the chip is removed.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 01-10-2000, 06:13 PM
Wink

Mike,

Thanks for the info! I'm still saving my money for that chip! This may sound pathetic, but I received $100 from my mother-in-law at Christmas that I've socked away toward my chip! Geez, you'd think I'm back in high school or something! But, I retire from the Military in another 53 days, so I have to be careful, I don't have a firm job lined up yet! I'm really hoping to make the Norfolk Rally this June, but unfortunately, I'll be back in GA, and not sure of the job situation! I'm thinking of making it a topic of negotiation with any future prospective employer! Will keep you posted on the Chip Fund!

Contributions are gladly accepted!

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner...
More to come

Old 01-11-2000, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear PaulT,

No, I don't think that's pathetic, it simply sounds practical! I can very well remember when my father retired after 26 years, and how tight a budget we were on until he found work in the private sector. I know exactly how it feels, so don't worry, the Superchip will be there for you whenever your circumstances permit.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Superchip and error codes?