Chip, or Hypertech Programer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip, or Hypertech Programer?

I recently decided to modify the computer in my 99 4x. I was told to wait until Hypertech comes out with a Programer for the 99 5.4l. I read the posts in here every time I log onto my puter, but have not read any topics on the programers, is there a reason?

------------------
1999 F 150 4x4 x-cab, 5.4L, white over silver 2 tone. Cat back Flowmaster duals with rolled stainless tips for the exit pipes, K&N filter charger kit, and a Lund wind deflector painted white to match. More to come

Old 01-13-2000, 09:20 AM
What's a cop doing buying go fast goodies?<p>
:-)<p>
Just my opinion but the programmer effects the stock computer. A superchip only piggybacks onto it. Pull the chip and your computer goes back to factory specs.

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe.

DAMN FLEXING DOOR CRACK!

Ford Engineering, reinforce the curve in the door! The cracks will stop.

Old 01-13-2000, 04:25 PM
Mike, you gonna sell a cop one of these chips? I thought you wus on our side!

Old 01-13-2000, 06:49 PM
Cool

Bill,,, if it is a us vs. them thing your worried about, I think any cop that is in to cars is part of us. They would understand the money and work we put into our rides. When something bad happens to my ride I hope for a cop that can understand my loss, and treats it like someone messed with his ride when they are caught.
Sorry if you were trying to be funny and I took this the wrong way. I do hope I am wrong and your were making a joke
,,,,,,,,,edited here: Bill,,, my appology,,,I just feel stronge about the us/them when it comes to law enforcement. You were joking and I will take your advise and lighten up.

[This message has been edited by Bracketracer (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-13-2000, 07:10 PM
Hey racer man. How could it be anything but a joke? Lighten up dude! :-)

Old 01-13-2000, 07:35 PM
Cool

Thanks for talking me into purchasing a chip for my truck, but now the question is which one? As you can see I have a 4x and the plans are to go up, not fast, well maybe once and a while..And I appologize if I hit a nerve with some of you with my chosen profession.

------------------
1999 F 150 4x4 x-cab, 5.4L, white over silver 2 tone. Cat back Flowmaster duals with rolled stainless tips for the exit pipes, K&N filter charger kit, and a Lund wind deflector painted white to match. More to come

[This message has been edited by 4wheelncop (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-13-2000, 07:44 PM
4wheeln,

Dont feel unwanted here! Most of us here are *jokesters*!

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2000, 07:53 PM
4wheelncop, my post was a joke. :-) is a smile and if you look closely at my initial post you'll see my smile.

Anyway, if I were you I'd get the Superchip. The reason is that it functions at all throttle positions giving you horsepower and torque gains throughout the throttle range. The other's only work if you put your foot to the floor. The others also require you to change your thermostat. Anytime some aftermarket part starts monkeying with my cooling system it throws up red flags for me. I don't want any overheating problems. They will all require you to burn premium gas but since the others only work at wot you do not get the added benefit of better gas milage with them that you do with the Superchip. I get 21 miles to the gallon on the highway in my full sized f150. I do have the v6 and 3.08 axles so you will not get anywhere near that but you should see some improvement in your milage.

IMHO, you would not regret getting the chip unless you get tired of pumping that expensive premium gas.

Welcome aboard 150online and don't take anything I say as an insult. I' usually just in a good mood and think everyone else is also.

Old 01-13-2000, 08:49 PM
Thumbs up

Go with the super chip,,,,, and pass the salt for the foot I put in my mouth,,,sorry again Bill Bateman

Old 01-13-2000, 11:57 PM
No problem racer. I need to hone my stand up routine or else learn to keep my mouth shut. I can understand how my comments could be mistaken as sinister so it's more my fault than anyone else's. :-)

Old 01-14-2000, 12:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear 4wheelncop,

Welcome to F150online!

First, the Hypertech Power Programmer III for the Fords is still not shipping as of last week, despite the fact that it's been being advertised for over 18 months now in all the catalogs! Hypertech will advance advertise a potential new product to see if there is enough market interest before it's ever designed, and this is yet another instance of that. Hypertech's engineering staff has been decimated thanks to it's owner firing them all last summer. They also had to stop all custom programming last year, despite the fact that their web site still advertises those services. It's going to be awhile before they get their engineering staff rebuilt and get new products into the pipeline.

As far as their products, they only add power at WOT (wide-open throttle), the rest of the time they do nothing to add power. They also usually require a special abnormally cold thermostat.

With the Superchip, you get a product that works adding power *all* the time, regardless of throttle position, and needs no other gimmicks to make it work, like low-temperature thermostats, for example. From 1200 rpm on up, you will have more power available at any throttle position. In addition, it makes more power overall than any Hypertech, JET, or other chip. The Superchip reprograms far more functions that any Hypertech or other product does on these vehicles. Also, the Superchip can be used on another vehicle having the same computer code when you trade in your current vehicle, whereas the Hypertech PPIII unit is tied to the VIN number of the vehicle, and can never be re-used on another vehicle. That product is already available for 1996 & later General Motors vehicles, just like we have a similar unit for the late-model GM's, and they are *all* tied to the VIN number of the vehicle.

Overall, the Superchip is considerably cheaper, it adds more power, and it adds power *all* the time, not just at full-throttle. This issue of adding power only on full-throttle is due to the structure of the emissions laws. During WOT operation, even for a brand new vehicle, there are no emissions standards to be met, so if you only modify WOT parameters, you don't have to certify for emissions compliance, etc., which drastically reduces R&D costs to the chipmaker.

Superchips is the company that invented this entire business, back in 1983, and is the only company used directly by the world's major automakers for special projects. It is due to this vast amount of experience that they have the knowledge and ability to improve overall driveability and all the other things the Superchip does.

Superchips also has the same type of device, the hand-held programmer for the Fords, under design right now, but will not release it for some time, simply because of the fact that these types of devices cost considerably more than a regular "chip". And as long as Ford does not change the design of it's computer to *require* the use of this type of device to reprogram it, there is no reason to bring out a more expensive device.

You'll probably get a number of responses here about this, it's a great place to get information directly from people who are using the product. If you'd like further details about the Superchip and how to order it, please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below.

Once again, welcome to F150online, and I hope you'll stick around and hang out with us here when you have the time!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 01-14-2000, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the help, now i have to go out and write some extra speeding "coupons" to pay for the upgrades, and i'll let these recipients know you guys put me up to it....

See even we get to slide one in once in a while....

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear 4wheelncop,

What a great thread this has turned into! I see you're in Ft. Lauderdale, are you with Broward County Sheriff's Dept.? That's where the series "COPS" started, in the late 80's, my wife and I were there at the time.

Jut as an aside, I wanted to let you know that we work with police departments as well as individuals, programming their vehicles to remove the factory top speed limiter, and also to maximize acceleration. Almost every single police officer we work with is concerned with the 0-90 mph acceleration times in their patrol vehicles, so as to hopefully avoid an extended 120 mph high-speed chase. Fox TV might love those chases, but law enforcement officials hate them, as do I. The quicker take-over times is what makes the difference when you're chasing bad guys. If you can get to them *before* they get to really high speeds, you have a far better chance of avoiding collateral injuries and damages. And of course all this works very well on just about all types of vehicles, not just law enforcement, obviously!

Please feel free to give me a call to discuss just what the Superchip can do for your vehicle. We're happy to talk with you without making a hard sales pitch. Just let me know where you're writing summonses that day, so I won't be there. Gotcha!

Have a safe day, and don't take any of us seriously around here, we pretty much like everybody!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-14-2000).]

Old 01-14-2000, 02:56 PM
Hey Mike, thanks for letting us know 4wheelncop is in Florida. I wouldn't want to run into him and end up with one of them 'coupons' as he calls them. :-)

DISCLAIMER:

This post is a JOKE. It is only a JOKE. All resemblences to actual conversation either real or imagined are a JOKE! :-)

Old 01-15-2000, 12:01 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi ya Bill,

Yeah, yeah, I know. But they need Superchips too. I know you were kidding, by the way.

Everytime this comes up, and somebody jokes with me for dealing with "them" (law enforcement) I tell them about some of the more interesting law enforcement vehicles we've worked on, especially the undercover vehicles. We had a Federal undercover agent who had a new 300 ZX Twin Turbo confiscated from a crack kingpin, and had us take it "to the max" for the street, meaning it still had to run on pump premium. When we finished, he was making about 500 hp at the flywheel, we had to learn more than we cared to about making that vehicle really capable of sustained high speeds (lower radiator hose collapses, etc.), and few vehicles stood a chance against it. I don't like tickets either, but I *do* like helping law enforcement get the "real" bad guys.

What comes around goes around, maybe. Where's Raoul when we need him?!?

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Chip, or Hypertech Programer?