PCM & ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thor: if Ford reprogramed your computer, you should have a small (about 2"x3") plastic sticker up under the hood. Find this and copy down everything that's written there. Usually when Ford reprograms they are flash-updating the code you have. So your's should go from ZZT4 to being ZZT5. To comfirm what you actually have, you will need to talk to Mike and read off what you found on the sticker under the hood. That's what I had to do on my last truck.

Old 01-18-2000, 02:44 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
THOR,

ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit and is used on GM vehicles. PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module and is used on Ford vehicles. So in simple terms the PCM controls Engine and Tranny shift functions.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
SmittyBilt Nerfs, Borla Cat Back
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube,
Superchips

Old 01-18-2000, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Thor,

The PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, and the ECU, or Engine Control Unit, are nicknames for the same thing, your vehicle's powertrain computer. If that computer has been reflashed to a diferent code, your dealer is required to post a Notice of Modification sticker under the hood by Federal emissiopns laws, and to also identify the new software code. Sometimes they will write in the Ford part number, and sometimes it will be what they call the calibration code. Either way, if your ECU has in fact been reprogrammed to a different code, your dealer is required to identify it, and let you know. And if the code was in fact changed, we will need that information to be able to supply the correct program in your Superchip. In the case of those rare circumstances where the new code cannot be determined, then the computer can be overnighted to us, and we can "read" it the same day, and overnight it back, to determine it's new software, and then make the appropriate program for you.

If you have any questions about any of this, please feel free to give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 01-19-2000, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PCM & ECU

I recently had the PCM reprogrammed and I was
wondering if that affects the ECU in any way?
I was looking at ordering a chip for my ZZT4 ECU code just for the better shifts, so if anyone can shed some light on the operation between the ECM and PCM it would be appreciated, Thanks.

------------------
1999 F-150 4X4 Super cab lariat, 5.4, 3.73 gears,deepwedgewood blue,
and all the options, build date 3/1/99,2000 engine 9/29/99

Quick Reply: PCM & ECU