What's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the difference?

I've read threads about this chip, and that programmer, and someone's custom tunes. How about a compilation of what's available for these trucks? I'm talking about every computer enhancement, what the hp/tq & fuel mileage gains are, cost, etc. Being a new owner and especially being in a gas burner for the first time in years, I'd like to know what my options are.

Brian [><]

Old 05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Re: What's the difference?

Originally posted by rebel_horsenam
How about a compilation of what's available for these trucks? I'm talking about every computer enhancement, what the hp/tq & fuel mileage gains are, cost, etc.
Welcome to F150Online.com

You don't ask for much, do you....LOL

I don't think such a comprehensive compilation could be created, except in very general terms.
You should start by reviewing many of the threads in this forum. That will give you a chance to see what other members have to say about their experiences with their tuners, chips, etc., and the in depth answers that Mike Troyer (Superchips_Distributor) and other members have provided for many common and not so common questions. As far as hp & torque gains, there are many variables that will affect those numbers...starting with the particular factory tune that is already installed on your trucks PCM. I recommend that you call Troyer Performance directly. If you provide them with the code from your PCM as well as your vehicle information, they may be able to give you an idea of what kind of performance improvements you could expect to realize from the different tuning options that they sell (and of course, the prices for those options).
Good luck,

Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Rebel,

As John mentioned, that's far beyond the scope & intent of this web site or this section of the message boards - This is a place for enthusiasts to hang out, have fun, post their experiences in relevant sections *IF* they care to, and learn a bit more about their FoMoCo trucks & SUV's in general. This web site is *not* intended to be (nor can it be) a master compilation of everything and/or anything.

The reality is, extremely few companies or individuals in America would even have all that massive amount of data - well, outside of us here at Troyer Performance, that is. We do more of that specific kind of testing than anyone else we know, as custom tuning of these vehicles is our core competency. I don't know of anyone else that actually has accurate & relevant data in that kind of detail - not even the various manufacturer's themselves. We have specialized in tuning these F-150's for 12 years, longer than anyone else, and that is the only reason that even *we* have that kind of data. Which we've posted here over the years, so if you really want to see all of that, you'll need to use the Search feature to retrieve & read it all.

You'll enjoy using the search feature, and the icon to access it is in the upper right portion of your screen here.

One thing you need to know up front about the "late model" F-150 is that you can basically forget thinking that all of that is going to be the same for every F-150, or even say, for every 1997, or every 2003 F-150, or even every F-150 with a 4.6 motor, 5-speed manual tranny & 355 gears, etc. The "late-model" F-150 has literally *hundreds* of possible mechanical configurations that will affect power and performance, to say nothing of all the variances just in fuel quality *alone* across the country - or changes form one model year to the next, etc. So there is no product that is going to add the same amount of power on every F-150, or every F-150 with a 4.6, or with a 5.4, etc. - there are even different versions of 4.6's and 5.4's in teh late-model F-150, etc. Add to that the fact that the F-150, unlike any other vehicle ever made, has far more different PCM software revisions (usually hundreds each model year alone!), and that also has an impact on just how much power & performance gain each individual truck sees.

As you can quickly see, what you want is just not feasible in that type of all-incliusive compendium - just to get the massive amounts of data alone would take many months of continuous testing of many different vehicles (which is why it's taken us years to accumulate all that info, and we *specialize* in F-150 tuning!), datalogging & documenting, to say nothing of compiling it all into some form.

Basically, you just need to spend some time here learning more about these vehicles & what gets discussed here, so you'll have some perspective on all the potential variances in these vehicles, from the numerous different engines, transmissions, gear ratios, tire sizes, etc., as well as the different drivetrains and the well over 3000 lbs. of potential weight difference between all the various configurations, etc, as all of those thigns affect either power gained and/or actual performance improvement. Once you get up to speed on all of those basics, then you'll have some understanding as to why you cannot make blanket comparisons. There are no 2 identical F-150's - not even 2 trucks of the exact same model year, options, etc. are going to perform exactly the same.

There are years & years of posts here about this, and among them you can easily find all of the info I've just referred to and *far* more, as well as all the info on what's out there and what it does, etc. - all of that has been discussed numerous times over the years. Just use the Search feature and it's filters to retrieve and read it all.

The culmination of all of that info is why most people come to us here at Troyer Performance for their F-150 tuning, as we *know* what product does what, or whose tuning is worth while, safe & sustainable, etc., as we've been doing it longer and have done more testing than anyone else we know of in this specific area. So most F-150 owners come to us for their tuning simply because we gain more safe & sustainable power and get the best actual performance gains on these trucks, regardless of model year, engine, transmission, PCm revision, local fuel quality, etc.

Just for future reference, it's always best to use the search feature to see if whatever info you want is already here before posting new threads, asking for new info, etc., as there really isn't anything new anyone's going to think of that hasn't already been discussed here before, and usually hundreds, if not thousands of times, over the years of posts here.

Remember, once people post whatever they choose to, they don't tend to come back here every day and just wait for someone to post the same question again so they can come back and type out the same thing that they've already posted - once info is posted here, that's it - from there on, it's up to each individual to read it - and it's here and available to be read anytime, 24 hrs. a day - all you have to do is retrieve it with the Search feature.

I hope that helps to give you some perspective on all of this, and please do feel free to drop by our web site at the following link: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...chips%3BFoMoCo - once there, read up on Part#'s 1100, 1715, 5500, 6600 & finally, 9100 for all the various tuning products for these trucks. the most popular by far is the 9100, which is the custom-tune version of Micro Tuner that we do our in-depth custom tuning in - that is what will actually get you the highest power & performance gains. And of course, please feel free to give us a cal at our number listed below if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, we'll be happy to spend some time with you going over all the basics, etc.

Have fun & thanks for joining us here at F-150 Online!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM

All I can say is wow. I didn't realise that these trucks vary so much. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do. I've got a feeling that I will be calling you before too long.

Brian [><]

Old 05-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Brian,

I took a look at your signature line, and see that you have what we call a " '99-'03 5.4 F-150" - so that's the 260 HP motor stock, and it has the 4R70W automatic transmission. In those trucks, assuming that we don't have a particularly "bad" factory code, we usually gain anywhere from 28-34 HP on our premium gas maximum performance style tuning, just to give you a rough idea. Of course we're talking about being basically at sea level altitude.

If you'd like to look up your particular truck's computer code and give us a call with that info, we can give you the exact details on what's going on in that particular program, and tell you what you can reasonably expect to gain, meaning is it going to be the "normal" gain, or if we'll gain a bit more due to it being a code that has any unusual or additional "issues" that would allow us to get a better than "normal" type of result.

To find that computer code is very easy, just open the front door on the *passenger* side of the vehicle - then look in the front part of the door frame, in the general area of the door hinges, and there you should find a small sticker that will have 3 letters followed by 1 number - like ATC2, UAT3, SNL4, etc. There are many different codes, but always in that same format of 3 letters followed by 1 number.

Just FYI............................

Have fun!

Quick Reply: What's the difference?