Warranty problems w/ the Super Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2000, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Warranty problems w/ the Super Chip

Mike I have recently convinced my parents to get my a super chip for my truck(stats below) but when I got there the dealer service guy said that the chip would void my vehicle emmisions warranty and besides that he didn't recommend it at all. He then told me something like it fried the ignition and some people have had problems with it. He told me that if I want some performance that I could go with a exhuast. Just wondering since I'm in California there are probably vehicle emmisions crap all over my truck and if something goes wrong im really screwed. Just wondering is this warranty thing just the case in California? Also besides yourself and the many people who recommend it, do you know of a well published company that reviews products, like consumer reports or anyone else in that area that has written something about the Super Chip. Im going to see if I can get it done somewhere down the line

------------------
1999 Silver F-150 XLT Supercab Triton 5.4L 4X2 3.55 LS class 4 whell ABS/4-W disc

Stuff I did not need but came with it
Class III Towing package
Power driver seat
Remote keyless entry
Free Floor mats :P
Hell of a ride

Mods I hope to do
1. Superchip
2. K&N air filter
3. Gibson Exhuast

Add-ons
1. Bed liner
2. Hard bed cover

All I'll ever need with this bad boy

Will be getting pictures soon
ccr-rules@worldnet.att.net

Old 01-05-2000, 10:35 PM
Wink

Ask mom and dad if they called the dealer before you arived...

Old 01-06-2000, 07:40 AM
Lightbulb

Chip FuNewGee

I’m not trying to blast you but every time a see someone with “oh what do I do with the warrantee” first from a resolving a problem perspective view you would want the chip out. Pulling the chip will make diag easier. Plus if they decide to re-flash the computer and the chip is in I would think you would get an ugly result. The chip is the least of my concern when my warrantee time comes. I would suggest keeping anti static bag in the glove box and if the truck dies on the road take the chip out and put it in the bag. Tell me that is not the easiest thing to do. Now if I could find a way to do that with my vortech I wold have no worries when I go to the dealer. I will let mike recite his legal M&M response you do have rights as well.
If you ever put Lego’s together you can install the chip. It’s that easy. My only concern is if you from the northeast like me this time of year you have to watch out for static. If you zap the computer than you have to be a good storyteller for the ford dealer.
End result is it is the best upgrade for the buck. Mike Co. will support all you issues.
Don

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 01-06-2000, 01:00 PM
Bill, you got teenagers too??
Love your answer, mine have been out of the house for last 6 yrs, and I still have nightmares about them...... Just kidding...Maybe??

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Lariat S/C
5.4,3.55 Ls
True duals, K&N Filter
Super White Headlamps

Old 01-06-2000, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear FuNewGee,

I'm sorry, but whoever told you that is simply dead-wrong. THe Superchip WILL NOT VOID A NEW VEHICLE OR EXTENDED WARRANTY!

In fact, there is a specific LAW that protects you from uninformed people like whoever you spoke to, and it's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Superchip will add 2-3 times as much horsepower as a cat-back exhaust system. Don't get me wrong, I *like* exhaust mods too! I don't mean to sound harsh, but it does aggravate me when people like yourself are given self-serving and dead-wrong advice about the second-biggest purchase they'll ever make, which is their new vehicle, by the very people who are *supposed* to know better! To me, that is a very important issue, which is why I talk to much about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act here. Your single best defense against those types of people is to know what your true rights are under the law.

The 3 areas that give the best bang-for-the-buck power gains per dollar spent on these vehicles are: 1.) Optimizing the programming with the Superchip. 28 hp & 46 lbs./ft. of torquefor the 5.4. 2.) Install the Airaid kit, which eliminates the factory airbox. It's available right here online in the Digital Marketplace at a great price, and adds about 14 hp on the 5.4 3.) Cat-back exhaust system, about 10-14 hp depending on which system you get. They are also adding these to the Digital Marketplace here in the next few days. Most high-quality cat-back systems will add 10-14 hp on that vehicle.

I want to make one point in defense of what some service people say about chips. Over the years, there have been any number of companies and individuals trying to be a chipmaker, and there *have* been some chips over the years that *could* potentially cause damage. The vast majority of service people don't know the difference between a Superchip and a who-fung-do chip, so they tend to lump them all into the "do not touch" category, unfortunately.

Anyone who ever has any warranty problem with their Superchip is advised to take these steps: 1.) Speak directly to the Service Manager, and if that doesn't stop it, then ask the Service Manager for the name and telephone number of their factory Zone Representative, commonly referred to as their "Zone Rep." That will usually stop them dead in their tracks, but if it doesn't, then you pick up the phone and call Superchips directly, at 888-227-2447.

It really gets down to a matter of fair play, due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, thank God! (and SEMA, who got it passed!)

Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss this further, and I wish you all the best!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-06-2000).]

Old 01-09-2000, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your response guys.

About the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Mike- Im reading a summary of it and it basically says any porduct that doesnt meet the standards of the warranty is considered defective and you are then entitled to either a working replacement or a refund.

But this law seems to be affecting the chip more than the vehicle emmisions warranty. Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act by having the chip I will not have voided the warranty. But lets say something goes wrong with the chip and my truck gets damaged, i would be entitled to a full refund or a replacement for the chip. Unless I can convince ford that i was sold a lemon this act wont cover any damages done to my truck and I would have to pay for them. I may be intepreting this wrong so could you please clarify. Thank you for your help so far

------------------
1999 Silver F-150 XLT Supercab Triton 5.4L 4X2 3.55 LS class 4 whell ABS/4-W disc

Class III Towing package
Power driver seat
Remote keyless entry
Hell of a ride

Mods I hope to do
1. Superchip
2. K&N air filter
3. Gibson Exhuast

Add-ons
1. Bed liner
2. Hard bed cover

[This message has been edited by FuNewGee (edited 01-09-2000).]

Old 01-17-2000, 10:21 PM
Bringing it to the top so mike notices it

------------------

Class III Towing package
Power driver seat
Remote keyless entry
Hell of a ride

Mods I hope to do
1. Superchip
2. K&N air filter
3. Gibson Exhuast

Add-ons
1. Bed liner
2. Hard bed cover

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2000, 10:29 PM
Question

Has anyone ever hard warranty work covered by Ford dispite having a superchip?

------------------
98 F150 4X2 Super Cab Lariat Styleside, Pacific Green/Silver Frost, A.R.E. hard tonneau cover,
4.6 L,4-spd auto, 3.55, Limited Slip, Towing Pkg, Grey Leather Capt Chairs,
6-disc cd changer, Flowmaster 50 series single in dual out exhaust, airaid FPIK,
K&N filter, Superchip is next.

Old 01-18-2000, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear FuNewGee,

Glad to see you're doing your homework, good for you! The Superchip cannot cause damage to any part of your vehicle, as it does not stress any component beyond it's design limitations, and that is the heart of Magnuson-Moss. The Superchip carries a California Air Research Board Exemption Order number, so it's 50-state emissions *certified*, under CARB EO# D-330-4, and cannot in any way compromise your vehicle's emissions warranty, as you stated in your first post was claimed by your service rep. That individual obviously knows nothing about the Superchip.

It gets down to a basic matter of what's fair play. For example, if you install a supercharger, you can in most cases kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye. But things like Airaid kits, cat-back exhaust systems, chips, larger throttle bodies, etc. do not affect the warranty.

Ford can only deny a warranty claim if they can *prove* that the aftermarket part was the sole cause of a related parts failure, *AND* if they can prove that had the aftermarket part not been installed, the related part would not have failed. That is as strong a protection as you can ask for. It means they cannot legally jerk you around over this, and should that ever happen to anyone, they should take the steps I have outlined many times here, and again in my post above. Superchips will also get involved should the need arise.

This issue is not anything new; Superchips have been around since 1983, and there are untold tens of thousands of vehicles that have used them over the past 17 years. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has also been around since 1983, thanks to SEMA. And if it *weren't* for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, you would have to use Ford spark plugs, Ford air filters, Ford brake linings, and use Ford's factory original parts for absolutely *everything* that ever needs replacing or repairing during the warranty of your vehicle. It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act we have to thank for being able to use whatever wiper blades you choose, whatever clutch lining you choose to use, whatever tires you choose to use, and on and on. ALL of those are issues covered by Magnuson-Moss, so it's a big act with numerous provisions, and it's intended to protect both the consumer *and* the manufacturer, by outlining a basic "fair play" scenario. The intent is to allow you to use *any* quality aftermarket part that does not damage your vehicle, and prevents the manufacturer from forcing you to use their parts only, unless they provide those parts free of charge.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-18-2000).]

Old 01-20-2000, 05:02 PM
Like it was said before, the best way to avoid ever having to deal with the dealership about a chip is to pull it out before you go into the dealer. But, the fail safe way to clear your computer would be to disconnect your battery for 10min after you have pulled the chip to clear any internal codes. Even if you do not have a "Check Engine" light on that does not mean that the computer has not stored any codes! A lot of people are not aware of this fact! Hope this helps.

One more thing... If you have a good relationship with your service writter he/she will remind you to pull out the superchip before dropping it off. It is not the service writter that makes a stink about the chips but the techs in the back who would rather be paid the cash rate rather than the warranty rate for repair.

------------------
Ryan Marselis
Owner
Superliner...and more!
Your SuperDuty parts source.

480-633-2624

Quick Reply: Warranty problems w/ the Super Chip