Gotta question for Mike T.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2000, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gotta question for Mike T.

Mike,
I put bigger tires on my 97 2wd sc and the dealer tells me that the tranny calibrations are off. Can a Superchip cure this problem? Can the chip be programmed to cure this? Thanks for the help
Chris

Old 01-16-2000, 01:29 PM
Trixman -

I went from 255/75/r16's to 305/70/r16 on my truck I am unsure how much you increased your size but there a good inch diff between old and new. Anyhow are you sure they are not referring to the speedo? This will be off because the wheels are making slightly less revolutions then the stock thus your speed will be off. I think if I remember right mine was about 3mph off. I would find it hard to believe they are referring to something else other than this but I could be wrong. In fact a couple of co-workers just bought F150's and Ford put 285's on there trucks. Let me know if you find anything diff.

T

Old 01-16-2000, 04:02 PM
I put 285/75/16's on. I've had the tranny replaced once and the new tranny is going through shifting servos. The truck is shifting at the correct points. Sometimes it will shift hard and the others will be mushy. I think the dealer saw the bigger tires and automatically came up a lame excuse. They won't even fix my paint because they said all of the bad spots are due to bird droppings. Am I suppose to carry a truck cover everywhere I go? Just venting.

Old 01-16-2000, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear trixman,

Well, it depends on exactly what needs to be done. It might be best to just give me a call, so I can go over exactly what you are experiencing, and then we can determine if the Superchip can help your situation or not. We can restore speedometer accuracy in most cases, and if there is a problem with shift characteristics or feel, we can take care of those types of issues as well. Shift points can sometiems be throw off by the effective change in rear gearing that going to larger tires does, and that can affect everthing from shift points to the top speed limiter and other functions too.

Just give me a shout at our number below, and I'll be happy to help you get this sorted out.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-16-2000).]

Old 01-24-2000, 12:16 AM
Thanks Mike

Old 01-24-2000, 10:25 AM
Hmmm...you can restore speedometer accuracy in most cases? Had no idea the SuperChip could do that. Ive read elsewhere on the board that tranny shift characteristic will change and damage can follow if the "speedometer isnt reading properly". So could using a SuperChip cure this problem without the need for a gear swap? I dont suppose you could correct for 35" tires, could ya Mike? Hmm...i think i might be willing to give up some acceleration to better mileage,decrease freeway RPM and not have to swap my gears. Worth a shot to ask anyway!

DS

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x2, supercab, shortbed, 5.4L auto, 3.55 LS, Class III tow/cooling, 4 wheel disk/ABS, Med Toreador solid, Med Graphite int, 60/40 bench, sliding r.window, pwr everything except seat, 16" chrome alloys
*** In the Works - FabTech 3.5",Bullseye spindles,3" bodylift,Eagle 589's w/35x12.50 BFG AT ko's,alarm/keyless entry,Changer/Fosgate amp/JL subs (when i figure how im gonna make the box fit!) ***

Old 01-24-2000, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear DirtSlinger,

Yes, depending on your vehicle's computer code, Superchips can do a custom program to restore speedometer accuracy.

You are quite correct in that there *can* be problems raised with automatic transmission shift points, both upshift and downshift, when you do a gear change. Not always, but it certainly does happen! Ford uses some very interesting and variable strategies for when the ECU actually sends the upshift signal. For example, if you take the vehicle up to high rpms with light throttle, it will send that signal later, as it senses it has more time to allow the upshift to actually execute. If you're at heavy throttle, it sends that signal sooner, even though the upshift rpm point may be the same.

For example, just putting a set of 4.10 gears in a '99 5.4 is enough to make it bounce off the rev limiter before the upshift can actually execute, so we have to provide more headroon between the actual upshift rpm point and the rev limiter in those cases. Installing a supercharger will sometimes do the same thing, because the engine is gaining rpms to rapidly in 1st gear until we get more separation between the upshift point and the rev limiter.

Feel free to give us a call to discuss your exact situation, and we'll be happy to go over that in detail.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Gotta question for Mike T.