Pre-ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pre-ignition

How do you stop the pre-ignition or pinging during hard accelerating between 1st and 2nd gear with an auto tranny? I want to stay with low cost 87 octane fuel. Did not notice this till up to around 15,000 miles. Now it bothers me, because I don't want to hear anything but smooth power, no matter how hard I push it.

In the older vehicles I would retard my timing till there was no rattle or ping. Then you could run on 87 octane and punch the accelerator all you want! I have been to my dealer once for this, still not fixed. Warranty work says:
TEST EEC PASS TEST FUEL PRESSURE 40PSI NO LEAK DOWN DCL MONITOR RECORD ALL PIDS OK. REPROGRAM PCM RETEST P1000

Built 6/98, 5.4L, XLT, Supercab, 3.55 standard axle.

Old 01-24-2000, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You still have a warranty problem. Take it back and tell them that if it cause damage to the vehicle then they'll have to put a new engine in it.

Old 01-24-2000, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Kraig,

Bill Bateman gave you some good advice! I would take it back into the dealer, and tell them just that, and that it is their responsibility to make sure that vehicle runs without detonation on 87 octane gasoline, if it's basically stock.

I see your build date is 6/98, meaning your truck is a 1998 F-150, and a number of the 1998's will sometimes show this detonation with the stock factory programming using 87 octane. It affects a small number of them, but it does need to be dealt with.

First, make sure you are using a high-quality gasoline. We recommend using Texaco, Amoco, or Citgo, as they all burn very clean and have high energy content. Fuels like Exxon, Chevron, BP, and any no-name brands should be avoided. Exxon is very low energy, though it burns clean. Chevron is giving some peopel good results, but it too in some parts of the country doesn't have as high an energy content. BP is a filthy gasoline, and with no-names you just don't know what you;re getting. So you might want to start by changing brands of gasoline, and see if that takes care of your problem. Octane isn't everything; a high-octane fuel can still cause detonation if it's actual energy content (BTU's per lb. or per gallon of gas) is too low, like with Exxon gasolines.

If changing gasoline brands doesn't take care of this, then the next step might be to remove the octane shorting bar under the hood, but this will noticeably reduce engine power, so it's a last resort.

So try changing fuel brands, and see if that makes a difference, and if not, then it's time to go back to the dealer.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Pre-ignition