Superchip & 87 Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip & 87 Octane?

I currently have a *stock* gas hungry 1999 F150 4x4 Supercab with a 5.4 engine. After reading the posts on this web site you guys have me almost convinced to purchase a Superchip. In reading the different messages posted about the Superchip I saw a mention that the manufacture suggests running at a higher Octane. One of the reasons why I am looking at purchasing the Superchip is to reduce my fuel costs. Hence my question.

Is anyone getting the posted 1.5-2 miles per gallon improvement with 87 octane?

Old 01-24-2000, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Edfenton,

The Superchip *cannot* be used with regular gasoline, that can only be done safely by havng a *custom* Superchip program made. The Superchip is made *specifcally* for the use of premium gasoline *only*, and it is only when using premium that you have any real potential for increased engine power and/or gas mileage. And then it's merely a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle, so your results will depend on how you operate the vehicle and your local fuel quality. Using regular will cause the knock sensor to tell the ECU to reduce spark advance, and there that improvement in power, efficiency, and mileage goes right out the window.

This is a *very* important issue. You see, in the Superchip program, your engine's fuel curves are specifcally re-written for the use of premium gasoline, as these higher octane gasolines have different burn rates, or the speed at which the flame front propagates in the combustion chamber. This is *exactly* why for many years most Ford owner's manuals have said specifically *not* to use anything other than regular (87) octane gasoline, or you may experience driveability problems!

The Superchip specifcally reprograms those fuel curves to compensate for the different burn rate so that you can then use premium gasoline, and get all the benefits that can come from programming specifically for the increased anti-knock properties and other specifics of higher octane fuels.

If your reason for contemplating the purchase of a Superchip is strictly for the gas mileage, I wouldn't, as it is *not* guaranteed, there are simply far too many factors beyond Superchips' control that will affect your vehicle fuel efficiency. It is perhaps best described by saying that the *potential* for better mileage is there with the Superchip, primarily when you're not using a lot of heavy throttle, such as when cruising on the highway.

For us here where we are in the mountains of Virginia, we only pay 12 cents more per gallon of gas for premium over regular, so in our vehicles here our Superchips are actually paying us to use them. That is, however, the absolute best-case scenario, and is *not* a typical result. Most people have to pay anywhere between 15 and 22 cents more per gallon for premium over regular in this country.

Just to give you an idea of the fuel cost impact, for those who do not see *any* improvement in gas mileage with the Superchip, and drive about 20K miles per year, your average increased fuel costs from using premium gas with the Superchip amounts to $150-$200 per year. Since most people *do* see some improvement in gas mileage, those numbers tend to be smaller, but I wanted you to have a rough idea.

Another point is this: there is quite a bit of variance in the knock sensor system adjustment range in these vehicles. About half of them can run the Superchip on regular gas without pinging, but you will not see the power gain or mileage increase, and you're working your knock sensor system to death all the time. Then the other half of these vehicles, roughly, will exhibit detonation using anything less than a good high-quality premium gasoline with the Superchip. The point being, just because some vehicles won't detonate with the Superchip on regular gas doesn't mean you should do that! It is *not* designed to be used that way, and is *not* good for your vehicle to do that for any extended period of time.

So unless you are willing to use premium gasoline, *OR*, have a custom Superchip made specifically for the use of regular gasoline, you shouldn't install the Superchip.

I hope this helps your understanding of this issue a bit, and please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss this in greater detail.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Superchip & 87 Octane?