Truck runs now, Thanks Mike!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Truck runs now, Thanks Mike!

I was one of the unfortunates that experienced an "erratic start" with my new superchip. Installed the chip and it wouldn't start. Pulled it, cleaned the terminals, and again, no start. After many re-installs it eventually started but died during the test drive without a chance to see “what it would do.” Called Mike, who stated that I was probably one of the few with the “thin contacts” problem, so I “overnighted” the computer/chip to Superchips who promptly fixed the problem and “overnighted” it back free of charge. Five minutes later the computer/chip were re-installed and it started right up!! Talk about a performance increase too – woohoo!

Major “thank you’s” to Mike for courteously working with me on the phone late at night to resolve the problem and working with Superchips to fix “my” problem free of charge. Mike and Superchips are a class act operation and I recommend them to anyone considering a performance improvement.

Old 01-14-2000, 01:42 AM
Question

Hunan,

I just ordered a chip for my 99 and I was told that my code may not start. Mike told me he didn't have any problems with my code and my truck would start. My question is what was your code? Mine is ZZT4. I trust Mike but I just want to settle my nerves to make sure. You are the first person that I have heard of having that problem so I'm just curious.

Thanks,
ChevySuck

Old 01-14-2000, 08:20 AM
My code is YBQ3. I assume the problem was with my connectors being too thin. Superchips didn't actually state what was the causing problem was. It works great now though. Good luck Chevy Suck!

Steve

Old 01-14-2000, 09:01 AM
HEY CHEVYSUCK,
YOUR THE FIRST PERSON I HAVE FOUND TO HAVE THE SAME COMPUTER CODE (ZZT4) AS I DO.

------------------
1999 F-150 4X4 Super cab lariat, 5.4, 3.73 gears,deepwedgewood blue,
and all the options, build date 3/1/99,2000 engine 9/29/99

Old 01-15-2000, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The YBQ3 code has not been affected by Ford's jumper misconfiguration, in that case the edge connector was a bit on the thin side, and that was easy to take care of. To date, out of the hundreds of ZZT4's I have out there running, not a single one of them has ever been affected by this jumper problem. I must point out though, that you cannot always accurately predict by computer code which ones will be affected, we do keep a list of codes that have *ever* been affected, to stay on top of that. And no ZZT4 that we've seen has ever had that happen. (I'd better knock on wood now, eh?)

Anyone that is affected can easily have this taken care of, either locally or we can arrange for Superchips to do it for you. Just to give you an idea, it affects so far less than 0.1% of these vehicles to date, though that number means nothing to the guy who is affected by Ford's goof. Luckily, it's an easy fix.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 01-15-2000, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear Hunan,

Thanks for your kind words! We're happy to help any way we can, of course, as we want the same thing you do, which is to be up and running.

Have fun, & keep in touch!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-15-2000, 04:35 PM
"Chevy Suck" and "Thor" I also have the ZZT4 code and have a chip... No problems with the "no start" thing.... Love the chip!!!

Mike

------------------
99 Lariat S/C 5.4 4x4
Amazon Green/Harvest Gold
3.55/LS
Superchip
K&N Filter
Mobil 1

Oshkosh, WI.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2000, 01:05 AM
Talking

I recieved my superchip today and installing it tomorrow night after work. Knock on wood everything goes good. I'll let you know how it went.

------------------
99 SC Flareside XLT 4x4 ORP
5.4 auto 3.73, Island Blue, Captains Chairs, CD, Ford Floor Mats, Steeda Billet Alum. Foot Feet Covers, K&N, Superchip, Flowmaster Cat-Back, ARE tonneau cover with spoiler, StarBoard Running Boards, Snake eye headlight covers, slotted taillight covers, Tinted windows, all protected be a Viper Alarm

Old 01-18-2000, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Let me know if you have any problems, as we are here until 7 pm Eastern Monday thru Friday. So if you have any questions during your install, just give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-23-2000, 11:52 PM
Question

How do you find out what computer code you have?

Josh

Old 01-24-2000, 07:39 AM
Question

I have the YBQ3 code as well, and was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with that code! Anyone else out there have a problem with this code, or was Hunan's problem unique?

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come

Old 01-24-2000, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Joshman,

To find the computer code in your 1997 or newer F-150, simply open the passenger door. Look in the front of the door frame, in between the door hinges, and there will be a sticker right there in between the door hinges. It will have 3 letters and a number printed on it, and that is your computer code!

If you have any trouble locating it, just give us a shout at out number listed below in my signature line, and we'll be happy to help you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 01-24-2000, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear PaulT,

The YBQ series of codes were not used for very long. They started at the beginning of the 1999 model year production run for the 1999 F-150 with the 4.6 and automatic transmission with the YBQ2 code, and that quickly went up to YBQ3, and then no further codes in the YBQ series.

There are more YBQ3's than there are YBQ2's, but there still aren't near as many of those are there are other codes, like IMP4 & YSL2 for the '97 F-150 4.6 automatic, and FOU1 for the 1998 4.6 automatic. However, there are a number of them out there. so you aren't alone, believe it or not!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-26-2000, 01:18 AM
Thumbs up

I know it's a little bit late but I installed my chip and works great! Got a couple of questions: When I put it in I had 87 octane in my truck and pinged like a mother when I romped on the gas. Is this why the chip is recomended with 92 octane? My truck runs stronger now with the chip but it seems to run better the colder the motor is. Does anybody else notice this? And finally, if I want to take the chip out do I have to do the exact opposite of installing it or can I just pull the chip out and put it back in when I want without having to pull my battery out and undo the 10mm bolt?

The only time I plan on taking it out is at the races so I can see how much of a difference it makes in my times.

And I would like to thank Mike T for my chip!!!

------------------
99 SC Flareside XLT 4x4 ORP
5.4 auto 3.73, Island Blue, Captains Chairs, CD, Ford Floor Mats, Steeda Billet Alum. Foot Feet Covers, K&N, Superchip, Flowmaster Cat-Back, ARE tonneau cover with spoiler, StarBoard Running Boards, Snake eye headlight covers, slotted taillight covers, Tinted windows, all protected be a Viper Alarm

Old 01-26-2000, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear CHEVY SUCK,

Excellent observations, and right on the money!

When cold, the truck gets more fuel (like a choke on older vehicles) and it also gets more spark advance, and of course the incoming air is colder, as there is no heat underhood to warm it up. Colder air is denser and contains more molecules of oxygen, hence more fuel is burned, hence more power is made. However, it's not a good idea to hot-rod your vehicle until the oil has come up to operating temperature, as a rough general rule, so keep that in mind.

The Superchip reprograms the engine *specifically* for premium gasoline, and about half of these vehicles will ping with anything less than premium in the tank. Just as an aside those who live in areas where their premium is 90-91 octane, and blended with ethanol, they usually will not detonate with that fuel, they just make a little bit less peak power that the more normal 92 & higher octane premiums that are not blended with ethanol is all.

But using regular with the Superchip is *not*, and has *never been* recommended by the manufacturer, it's designed to take advantage of premium gasoline's increased anti-knock properties. Meaning, we can use more spark lead (advance) as a result, and thus pick up power while lowering the BSFC number. Also, the Superchip reprograms the fuel curves to compensate for the slower burn rate of premium gasoline, and allows it to burn more completely. So it's important for best results, both power and driveability, to use premium gas with the Superchip.

It sounds to me like you're getting the exact type of result you're supposed to, very good!

Once you have done the first-time installation of the Superchip, you can at any point in the future remove it and replace it without removing the computer from the vehicle. I do recommend that you do a battery disconnect for at least 20 minutes each time you do that, to force the re-learn cycle to start immediately, this gives a better immediate result, though it doesn't change the long-term results. It's simply a technique to help accelerate the change, in other words.

If you want to do some back-to-back testing with and without the Superchip, here is the format we recommend:

Make sure the vehicle is up to it's normal operating temperature, and then make your first run stock. Then wait 30 minutes to cooldown and stabilize all powertrain temperatures. Disconnect the battery for this period of time, and then install the Superchip, and make your second run.

Wait another 30 minutes for cooldown, and then make your 3rd run stock again. This is about the best method I've seen for trying to get as accurate as possible in informal testing, and this is how Superchips does their testing at the drag strip, etc. This way you've got back-to-back runs, stock, chipped, and then stock again, with sufficient time to stabilize powertrain temps, as they heat up the vehicle will slow down in most cases, you see, so that's why the cool-down is very important. Not doing the cool-down will skew your times. In cold weather you can reduce the cool-down time to 20 minutes.

Have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-26-2000).]

Quick Reply: Truck runs now, Thanks Mike!