Code????

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Code????

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where do I find the code for my truck? I have a 97 4x2 with a 4.2 in it? Can someone help me?

Old 01-25-2000, 09:35 AM
Joe,

Check the front door jam on the passenger side. It should have a sticker with a 4 digit code i.e. YBQ3 or something similar. It should also be on the back of the computer which is viewable on the firewall on the passenger side under the hood.

------------------
Paul... :-)
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come

Old 01-25-2000, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The computer is not under the hood. The computer is under the dash on the passenger side just in front of the passenger door.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 01-25-2000, 10:45 AM
Cool

T is correct, the computer is physically located under the dash. However, you can see the code printed on the back of the computer that shows through the firewall where the wireing harness connects, and this is visable from under the hood! Sorry for any confusion...

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come

[This message has been edited by PaulT (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, it is the *front* of the computer that actually protrudes thru the firewall, and Paul is right, sometimes you can see a code sticker there, too.

Sometimes the code sticker in the passenger door frame will be gone, from paint work, etc., and in that case, then you can count on seeing another code sticker if you go to the computer, just above the passenger kick panel, and remove the black plastic clip that holds the computer to it's metal bracket. (Don't worry, the computer won't fall out, it's still attached to it's wiring harness under the hood) Then look on the back of the computer, where the black clip was covering, and there will be another code sticker right there on the back.

Actually, I'm glad Paul T mentioned this, as it reminds me to mention the other places you can find a code sticker. Thanks PaulT!

Almost every Ford ECU will also have a larger sticker on top of it, that will have several lines of printing on it. The code will stand out, as it's printed in bold capitals.

So for these late-model Ford F-150's, here are the 4 easiest code sticker locations:

1.) In the passenger door frame, in between the door hinges.

2.) Under the hood, on the wiring harness for the computer will sometimes be another code sticker. This harness starts right behind the battery, and leads into the front of the computer in the firewall.

3.) Look on the firewall right where the computer actually connects to it's wiring harness, and sometimes on the top edge of the computer, there will be another white label with several items printed on it, along with the computer code.

4.) Go into the cabin, and remove the black plastic clip that holds the computer to it's metal bracket, and on the back of the computer, where the black clip was covering up, there is yet another code sticker.

So those are the 4 most common locations for code stickers on the '97 & up F-150, in order of ease.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-26-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 11:01 PM
Cool

THanks guys.. I will be ordering my superchip soon. I appreciate your advice.

Old 01-26-2000, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anytime, Joseph_73.

Have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html