Standard Superchip vs. Custom Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2000, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Standard Superchip vs. Custom Superchip

I am wondering what the difference is between a standard Superchip and a custom one. I have heard of people sending them back to be reprogrammed because they were not pleased with the performance increase. I have a 98 F150 w/ 5.4 and I installed my chip about two weeks ago. Also i have changed from 265/70/17 tires to 305/70/16 tires ... over an inch taller ... anything superchips can do to correct speedo and shift points? Mike???

------------------
98 F150 Supercab, 4X4 ORP, Mark III Conversion, Superchip, K&N filter, Flowmaster catback exhaust with 3 1/2" tips, 305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S on Enkei wheels, 3" Performance Accessories Body lift, Rhino Liner and too many other mods to mention.

[This message has been edited by DirtslinginGuy (edited 01-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DirtslinginGuy (edited 01-25-2000).]

Old 01-25-2000, 10:48 PM
What is a Mark III conversion?

------------------
BLK 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab SB, Shift-on-the-fly, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55 LS, 4-Wheel disc/ABS, ORP, Keyless, PWR Seat, Slider, Soft tonneau, Cab steps.
MODS: Rhino, Molded flaps, Mobil1 0W-30

Old 01-26-2000, 02:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear DirtslinginGuy,

There can be many differences between a custom Superchip and the "standard" Superchip, which is already programmed for each individual vehicle according to it's computer code. There are many reasons for doing a custom Superchip. However, it's a myth that a Superchip can be sent back to make more power, not unless the person's fuel source changes, and they have access to even higher octane fuel than pump premium. Or if they've installed a supercharger, ported heads, etc., then in cases like that it's worthwhile to get a custom program done to get all the power from your mechanical changes.

The "standard" Superchip already gets all the power that can safely be made by programming specifically for the use of premium gasoline, and that power gain *cannot* be increased unless something else changes, like a new part, better fuel source, etc.

Most of the people that have sent their Superchip back in (a very small number, less than 0.01%) for an adjustment has nothing to do with power level, it's most often to increase shift firmness, and it's almost always younger guys who want extremely hard gearchanges. (Like I used to like to have all the time!) Once in awhile we'll need to make an adjustment for winter fuel formulations, etc.

In general, the only times you need a custom program is if you have made a mechanical modification to your engine, and the program must be compensated for that part, like a supercharger, nitrous oxide, ported heads, etc. Or as in your case, to restore speedometer accuracy, which Superchips can do for the 1999 models primarily. Sometimes if you install headers, we can do a custom program to pull a few more ponies out of it by giving it a bit more fuel, but I don't recommend it even then unless you start picking up detonation.

For example, if you install a supercharger, you definitely need a custom program done to get the best power from your blower setup, and also to keep it from running far too rich all the time. Blower manufacturers generally know next to nothing about engine programming, so they use FRU's & FMU's to boost fuel pressure going into the injectors, so that the engine cannot possibly run lean. What this does is force the engine to run *too* rich all the time, and is not the "proper" way to handle this situation, as this too-rich fuel mixture can dilute your oil over time, and cause increased cylinder bore wear, etc. And of course how much richer they run varies with each blower manufacturer's kits.

So generally speaking, a true custom program is generally only needed to compensate for serious mechanical modifications, things like superchargers, nitrous oxide, ported cylinder heads, camshaft changes, etc. Correcting for spedo error can be done on the '99's, and sometimes they can do it for other vehicles, that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on your computer code. If shift points have been thrown off from a big change in tire size, or a gearing change, then that too can be compensated for with a custom program.

I hope that makes it just a little bit clearer than mud, and please feel free to give us a call if you'd like more detailed info, and to see if you can really benefit from a custom program.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 01-26-2000, 08:37 PM
hey Mike I got your e-mail and as soon as I get some extra cash ill throw it your way, but im also worried about future mods such as 33" tires. will this affect the chip to the point where i need to get it reprogramed?

------------------
1999 F 150 4x4 x-cab, 5.4L, white over silver 2 tone. Cat back Flowmaster duals with rolled stainless tips for the exit pipes, K&N filter charger kit, and a Lund wind deflector painted white to match, and now thanks to this site a superchip. and for those who are wondering
1997 Ford crown vic with cool stripes, and lights...

Old 01-26-2000, 10:01 PM
Cool

XLTJake, A Mark III conversion is a custom aftermarket package that is popular down here in the deep south. Custom leather seats, wood trim and overhead console, fancy stripes ... and other bells and whistles.

------------------
98 F150 Supercab-Flareside, 4X4 ORP, Mark III Conversion, Superchip, K&N filter, Flowmaster catback exhaust,305/70/16 Goodyear AT/S on Enkei wheels, 3" Performance Accesories Body lift, Rhino Liner and too many other mods to mention

Old 01-27-2000, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear 4wheelncop,

Sometimes going with a big change in tire size will require us to recalibrate the shift points, it just depends on how much of a difference there is in overall circumference between the two tire & wheel combinations. On the 1999 & later Fords, we can recalibrate hte speedometer to restore accuracy, it does entail a custom programming fee.

If your tire change results in an effective change in rear gearing that is substantial, then we usually will need to compensate for that, if you don't compensate for it with the appropriate gear change.

One thing to be very careful of, is to not stick huge tires on it without changing rear gear ratios (and front too if it's a 4X4), because what happens is you end up forcing the engine to operate well below it's torque band, and you lose your low end power, driveability, and gas mileage goes way down from giving it a lot of throttle to try and get moving like it used to. Generally, you do not want to be below 2000 rpm @ 65 mph in Overdrive running bigger tires, or you'll suffer from loss of low-end power.

It just depends on how much of an effective change in gearing your tire size change makes.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like to discuss this in detail, so you can give it proper consideration, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Standard Superchip vs. Custom Superchip