Curious about contact

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Curious about contact

Ok, so why does Ford put these contacts on the end of the computer that we have to clean off and put these Superchips on too? They protect them with varnish so they will not corrode so they will be nice and ready for a chip? What is there purpose in the first place? Is this a clever scheme hatched between Ford and Superchips? How convenient that they are there for this purpose huh? Think about it.

Mike T., are you able to divulge the truth or will you have to kill me? (LOL)

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!) Almost completed the Towing Pkg. options, MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening, Bosch Platinum + 4's, Hayden 30K+ Tranny Cooler, Superchip on the way!

[This message has been edited by cphilip (edited 01-26-2000).]

Old 01-26-2000, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear cphillip,

Thanks for a great post, I really needed the laughs, so thanks very much! I can tell you without having to donate your body to science.

The whole idea behind those contacts, and the edge connector they are on, and that whole circuit, in fact, was so Ford could have a way of quickly testing different software revisions in their computers during new vehicle development, primarily.

You see, back when they originally designed the EEC-IV computer back in the early 80's, from day one they wanted their computer to be different from any other unit in the world. They didn't want the internal chip to be replaceable in any way, like it was in every other computer design at that time. GM, Bosch, etc., all used replaceable eproms. So they designed in this external alternate data path, as a manner of getting different software loads into the ECU, and made the internal eprom a surface-mount, so it wasn't replaceable in the normal manner. So at that time, using this external data path was the *only* way for many years to get a different program of any kind into the ECU. And as a result, for years Superchips was the only company in the world to be able to reprogram that type of computer. That was then, and this is now.

The end result is that it's still a very neat design, and chipmakers take advantage of it, by virtue of the fact that attaching to the edge connector turns off the factory eprom, and tells the computer to seek it's instructions externally. Removing the chip instantly restores the factory program.

So the actual *purpose* of those contacts was to allow communications between external data sources and the ECU, in an attempt to make their computers much harder to reprogram, and they succeeded for some time.

Beginning with the 1996 model year, they went to the EEC-V computer, which is a "flash" type of unit. Meaning it can be programmed either via the ALDL serial port up under the dash, which is how they do it at Ford dealerships when they have to update a factory calibration for some problem resolution, or via this external data path like performance chips do.

Neat, eh?

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 01-26-2000, 06:17 PM
So... What you are saying is the common abbreviation "SC" for Superchips is not really a hidden symbol for "Secret Cartel" also involving the high test fuel industry?

Interesting indeed but I must admit my eyes were glazing over after the first paragraph. After that I was willing to accept anything you said. Clever how you confused and stunned me with facts.

Hey, it's not really paranoia if they really are out to get you!

Old 01-27-2000, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey cphilip,

Stop, you're killing me!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Now you've done it, you've let out the Top-Secret, Air Force Generals only alliance cartel between Superchips and the high-test gas industry. It's all a plot, and we were getting away with it until you exposed us, whatever will we do now?!?

Sorry for the glazing.......

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 01-27-2000, 02:30 PM
Ah Ha! I knew it. And there you have it. Now we all know what "More Power" actually means.

What's that? Hmmmm... Someone is at my door. "Hello"..."What was that you said?"...."No! Stop,... Don't take me away!..... I won't tell!... Noooooooooooooooo!

Quick Reply: Curious about contact