Will I need to reprogram my superchip if...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will I need to reprogram my superchip if...

I want to get this SuperChip! I am currently running a stock 2000 4.2L V6 , 5 spd. I am going to get some 33" and whatever I need to clear that, but I wanted to know if I will need to reprogram the chip after the lift and tires. How about after adding an AirAide? The SC and the AA are the main upgrades, maybe the only, I will do to keep my power after adding the lift and tires. Will I even need an AA with a SC?

------------------
2000 F150 V6 4.2L
>KenWood 600W Powering 12"JBL on Stock CD Stereo
>CB/PA System
>MagnaFlow Exhaust
>PIAA HID Headlights and FogLights
>Bug Deflector
>Clear Coroners
>Window Vents and Tint

[This message has been edited by F150Y2K (edited 02-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by F150Y2K (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear F150Y2K,

The Superchip will work just fine with most of the more popular exterior "bolt-ons". So things like the Airaid kit, which is sold here in the F150online store, "The Digital Marketplace" will work fine. So will cat-back exhaust systems, etc.

Lifting the vehicle and putting large tires on it generally doesn't affect the Superchip, unless the change in tire size is so large that it throws off the automatic transmission's shift points a bit. And if that happens, we can easily adjust that. In your case, you have a 5-speed manual, I believe, so shift points will not be an issue in your vehicle.

One thing to give some serious thought to is just how big a tire you really want to put under that vehicle. When you put really tall tires on your vehicle, you are in effect changing the gear ratio in the differential to one that is numercially lower, and you are adding a considerable amount of weight as well. What that does is to lower the rpms the engine turns for a given speed from the effective change in gearing due to increased circumference of the bigger tires. Alter that enough, and you can really lose your low-end power, so you'll want to pay close attention to this. If you are determined to make a big change in tire size, you'll also want to plan of changing your rear gears to compensate for it. That way, you don't lug the engine down below it's torque band, which gives poor performance and gas mileage.

Also, remember that lifting the truck will also tend to hurt acceleration and overall performance, by increasing aerodynamic drag from lifting the vehicle even higher up into the air. Lifting vehicles up and sticking big tires on them sure looks nice when done right, but please be careful doing it, and realize the consequences of each step you take, ok? Lifting it and putting those big tires generally means you need to do a gear change to compensate, so that the engine turns about the same rpms at a given speed that it did before. Also, it takes more horsepower to turn big tires & wheels, and you might be surprised at just how much performance can be lost when you increase tire size dramatically. So just give it some thought when you do that change.

As far as the Superchip is concerned, nothing you've listed in the way of modifications with that manual transmission vehicle will cause you to need any changes, so you're fine. ALso, should you ever make a major mechanical modification that does require an adjustment to the program, the Superchip is a flash design so that it can always be updated for that vehicle, protecting your investment.

Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over all this in greater detail, as there are some issues to take into consideration.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Quick Reply: Will I need to reprogram my superchip if...