Stock Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Horsepower??

I have a 2000 Expy with two mods: SC 1715 and a MagnaFlow 15608 catback system.

I have been trying to figure out how much more power over stock I could be making, but I cant seem to be finding the stock values for the 4.6 for torque and horsepower.

I would like to know what the stock values for both 4.6 and the 5.4 in the expedition. If anyone has these, I would love to see them posted here.

If Mike T. reads this, could you elaborate on what the positive torque gains were when you tested that exhaust?

Thank you.

Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi OE,

The 4.6 for 2000 has 220 HP - it went to 231 HP in the 2001 model year F-150/Expedition, which is when it got the PI heads, etc. The 4.6 got the COP ignition in 2000, but didn't get the PI heads until 2001 in the trucks. The 5.4 in 2000 was 260 HP stock, or 40 HP more than your truck.

So your stock power level was 220 HP at the flywheel - and remember, that's only at 70 degrees F, and at sea level altitude. Warmer or higher, that power drops, of course. With 220 HP at the flywheel, in a 2WD 4R70W-based driveline that would get you about 150 to maybe 155 HP at the rear wheels, best case scenario - assuming that engine made precisely 220 HP at the flywheel. Subtract another 5 HP at the rear wheels for 4WD models, and another 5 HP for the 4R100 automatic.

I think the thing you're *really* trying to get to is whether or not your 4.6 is now as powerful as the 5.4 - I'd say close, but probably not quite fully there in terms of HP. I don't see the 1715's tuning and the cat-back system adding a true 40 HP (it *might* under ideal conditions), and of course you're not going to match the 5.4's torque profile - thanks to it's *much* longer stroke than the 4.6 motor, you just can't compare the 2 in that regard because the 4.6 will never have the torque profile of the 5.4 due to the 5.4's much longer stroke. The 5.4 peaks it's torque (stock or modified) at significantly lower rpms than the 4.6 does.

However, in terms of actual *acceleration* - your Expy should still perform very close to, if not equal in the 1/4 mile as compared to another identical 2000 Expedition with a 5.4 engine that is bone-stock - thanks to the combination of the raw power gains from both mods, along with other changes the 1715 makes to the powertrain programming that further improve actual acceleration times.

So in terms of raw power, it may not be quite there with the 1999 & newer 260 Hp 5.4's, but it's close. It may hang right with a stock 5.4 Expy thru the 1/4 mile - we really can't say for sure, the only way you'll ever know is to do a side-by-side drag race. And keep in mind that there are always going to be variances from one vehicle to the next, the normal production variances. You may find 5.4's that you can easily *beat* - and then other 5.4's that beat your truck - and so it goes.....................

Have fun,

Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

what I was looking into was a comparison on actual power made by these two vehicles. When I first found www.f150online.com I was looking for enhancements to make my truck tow better. At that time I had just bought an old heavy camping trailer and wanted something to help me pull it.

Well, I did it again. I got a heavier camper and one that was longer while I was at it. This one is 27' and 5030 dry weight. In another part of this website I had posted for ideas on wether or not my truck could handle this as well as it handled the last one.

I have contacted FORD about my truck and what I wanted to do with it, and I have a letter coming from their research team about my issues. (they dont want to say a whole lot about it... liability...)

I plan on hauling this with my Expy in all its glory. I DO NOT intend to haul it with the holding tanks filled to the camp site or even plan on loading it to the hilt.

My wife and I usually take seperate vehicles so I figured that I would take a lot of the lighter filler and let her take the coolers and such.

Knowing that the 5.4 Expy with the same gears can tow more I was looking into what the actual power difference was so that I could feel more comfortable as I approched my MAX towing capacity of 5500 lbs.

And that is why I would like to know what the stock numbers are so that I can add in my mods just to see the difference between what I have done and what FORD put into the 5.4.

By the way, I did call yesterday while you were out, and Anita was very helpful. Just looking for all the reassurance that I can get, along with any help, criticism etc....

Thank you.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi OE,

Sorry I missed your call - and congratulations on the new (bigger & heavier) travel trailer!

You know, there are some *excellent* posts made by a fellow who goes by the screen name "Family Ride" here - he had an Expedition that he recently traded in on a 2004 6.0 PSD, I think it was a 2000 Expy - anyway, he was towing a LOT of weight - like 7500 lbs. or so, if memory serves. Now his was a 5.4, which will always have a lower torque peak rpm than a 4.6, but his posts are excellent reading to go over exactly what he did to his Expy to configure it for towing heavy loads like that, and the results that he got - both in terms of performance and in terms of mpg numbers, too. He did a very nice job configuring his family's Expedition for towing heavy loads, almost 4 tons out back in addition to the weight of the Expy itself. I think you'll find his posts very informative. Try using the search feature to search for posts by Family Ride (and I don't remember if he had a space in between those 2 words or if it was "FamilyRide" - all in 1 word), on the topic of towing with his Expedition.

Some of my favorite mods to do for more towing power (meaning more power all the time, at any rpm, and at any throttle position) like that are converting over to electric cooling fans & underdrive pulleys. Between those 2 mods, you gain upwards of 30 HP to the rear wheels, and you also pick up some nice mpg gain as well. I like to do those 2 mods *after* the tuning, intake & exhaust are already done, in terms of what basic "order" to do them in (though that is not required), but I do like reducing those parasitic losses like that, as they are "win-win" mods - more power all the time at any throttle position, *and* more mpg, too. Just a thought.................

Happy reading & enjoy your weekend,

Quick Reply: Stock Horsepower??